NFL News & Notes

Leader

4 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

I'm all about MVS, Lazard, and EQ, but if something happens to Adams would be nice to have a vet like Sanu if he's not spent.

How many guys has BB cut that weren't "spent"?

Now...whittle it down some.  How many guys has BB cut that cost him a second round pick?

I think it's a short list.  He's spent.

Something happened to Adams last year, and we were fine.  This year we get EQ back and everyone has a year under their belts in the MFL system and in the NFL.

Time to roll with what we have.

3 hours ago, VonKarman said:

If the look at the numbers, regarding the cap we have:

14.3M under the cap

Possible cuts that would generate cap relief: Montravious Adams (0.4M). That's it. There is no one else. We will probably sign someone during the year, those 14.3M will probably decrease. However, for 2021 I'll consider that we roll those 14.3M over.

2021 Projected cap space: 175M (you are a real optimist if you think that it's going to be much higher than that).

0.5M under the cap after rolling 2020 money over, 50 players under contract (need to add 3 more so we are virtually 1.3M over the cap in 2021)

FA: Bakhtiari, King, Linsley, Jones

Possible cuts: Billy Turner (4.5M dead money, frees 2.9M), Rick Wagner (1.75M dead money, frees 3.6M), Christian Kirksey (2M dead money, frees 4.4M), Dean Lowry (3.3M dead money, frees 2.7M), Josh Jackson (0.7M dead money, frees 0.7M) and Lucas Patrick (0.1M dead money, frees 0.8M). Well, and we also have Aaron Rodgers if we trade him (31.5M dead money, frees 4.2M). If we do not consider trading Rodgers, we can free up to 15.2M, but then we wouldn't have any OTs in our roster. Being more realistic, I think we can consider keeping Wagner and freeing up around 12M.

Then, we would be around 11M under the cap. Now you have to think that at least 7M is what one would need for rookie signings+signings during the season, so then again you pretty much have 4M in cap space to resign any of those guys. Here is where the fun starts. Options:

1 Reestructures: Rodgers? He's gonna be gone by 2022, but you could theoretically convert his P5 salary and free up 10M (I don't know if this is a very smart move though). Reestructure Z. Smith (+4.75M in cap space) or P. Smith (+3.4M in cap space).

2 Painful cuts: Cut one of the Smiths (+7.4M for Preston, +10.1M for Z). That'd be painful, but we have way too many resources invester in the ER. If Gary balls out it's a very real possibility.

3 Trade Rodgers.

So we are pretty much ****ed in 2021 and I'm pretty sure that we won't be contenders. Personally, if we don't wanna blow the team I'd try to make space for Bakhtiari (3Y/54M contract with a year 1 8M cap hit), draft a starting CB with the 1st round pick and get at least one OT in day 2. If we see that the team implodes, I'd trade Rodgers *** (dead money will be huge, but we don't have to invest a penny in QB and it's gonna be a great year to trade him), resign Bakhtiari and consider keeping Aaron Jones to make Love's live easier. I'd still let King go (it's quite painful) and draft a CB with our first pick.

Just playing a "what if" game regarding Bakh and King.  What if they sign one year "wink-wink" deals?  All guaranteed with the agreement that they will extend those deals when the next cap numbers come out and they can get more?  FA isn't going to be kind to many folks next year.  I can see guys/clubs doing something similar.

Or...extend the current deals one year.  Push money into this year, eat up some or most of our space, but next year is a much lower amount...on the "wink wink" deal concerning the cap and a future contract.

I'm still not convinced that the cap is real and there are many ways to get around the cap next year and still field a fine team.

12 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

How many guys has BB cut that weren't "spent"?

Now...whittle it down some.  How many guys has BB cut that cost him a second round pick?

I think it's a short list.  He's spent.

Something happened to Adams last year, and we were fine.  This year we get EQ back and everyone has a year under their belts in the MFL system and in the NFL.

Time to roll with what we have.

I"m not hard after Sanu, but upgrading that position would be great so looking at all option.

I'm not sure I'd say we were fine without Adams. The team played well as a hole, but the passing game sure suffered.

18 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Just playing a "what if" game regarding Bakh and King.  What if they sign one year "wink-wink" deals?  All guaranteed with the agreement that they will extend those deals when the next cap numbers come out and they can get more?  FA isn't going to be kind to many folks next year.  I can see guys/clubs doing something similar.

Or...extend the current deals one year.  Push money into this year, eat up some or most of our space, but next year is a much lower amount...on the "wink wink" deal concerning the cap and a future contract.

I'm still not convinced that the cap is real and there are many ways to get around the cap next year and still field a fine team.

If you make a one-year contract or a one-year extension you cannot put the money in other years unless you give a signing bonus and add void years (which is simply bad management in my opinion). It's what they did with Brady and what the Saints also do (BTW, Saints will not be contenders next year due to their cap situation). You could theoretically do it, but I don't think it's gonna happen the way Packers do things. And it would still not be easy. You can tag Bakhtiari (he's not gonna accepted being extended one year unless you give him Tunsil money), but you still have to pay King. Other easier option would be to get a Breeland type of player that doesn't cost too much (If King plays well this year he's going to get a lot of money). You also have the chance that by some miracle the business goes really well despite COVID and have a 185M cap next year. Then we'd be able to keep both.

COVID is going to **** with the chances of those teams that were trying to extend their window and do not have rookie qbs (see Saints, Vikings, Packers, Eagles, etc.). Cap does indeed exist.

40 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Strange career trajctory. Made the Pro Bowl in his 3rd season and then looked like he lost interest. Was he overrated, or did he have a decline that's hard to fathom?

Seemed to me like he actually peaked earlier than that. He was the kind of player who will make a few splash plays to keep his name in consideration,  but he just hasn’t had the consistency of play that you really need at the safety position. I think once he got the feeling that his stock was falling he kind of mentally checked out and just wasn’t committed enough to the game after that. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

But I thought Saints couldn't sign anyone else because sAlARy CAp...

I mean, they have 7M in cap space and Clowney will probably cost a maximum of 5 (might be more with incentives), but they are projected to be 70M over the cap next year and pretend to extend Kamara. They might as well go YOLO this season.

Just now, VonKarman said:

I mean, they have 7M in cap space and Clowney will probably cost a maximum of 5 (might be more with incentives), but they are projected to be 70M over the cap next year and pretend to extend Kamara. They might as well go YOLO this season.

It'd be nice to go YOLO one time before Rodgers leaves in 2 years. 

Name the last time a team went full YOLO and won the Super Bowl.

The Broncos added everybody each and every offseason and lost each year with Manning.  The one year they didn’t go YOLO and didn’t have any major additions was the year they won it.

The Patriots win Super Bowls on years they sign one or less significant free agent.  Remember Moss/Thomas/Welker and everyone else they signed in 2007?

The Rams have been going YOLO for four years now.

You go YOLO every year and you lose.  And WTF even?  We signed Smith/Smith/Amos/Turner last year.  That’s going YOLO.  Intelligently.  

• Like 3

Other than maybe resigning a few key guys, Bak, Jones, maybe King, we need to save cap space for the down cap years.

Also, the down year caps MIGHT up the supply and lower the demand, making better deals to be had then.

If we want to upgrade a position, it's OT, DT, CB, maybe ILB, or forget about it... (though, I might argue being able to field P. Smith, Z. Smith, Clark, Gary and Clowney all at the same time is an improvement to the DT spot, who could stop that pass rush?)

I think we're good at WR, and if all the ILBers were healthy, I'd say we're the best we have been there in years.

It's RT and CB that have me truely concerned, but we possibly have Veldeer  and Tramon waiting to be called...

17 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Name the last time a team went full YOLO and won the Super Bowl.

The Broncos added everybody each and every offseason and lost each year with Manning.  The one year they didn’t go YOLO and didn’t have any major additions was the year they won it.

The Patriots win Super Bowls on years they sign one or less significant free agent.  Remember Moss/Thomas/Welker and everyone else they signed in 2007?

The Rams have been going YOLO for four years now.

You go YOLO every year and you lose.  And WTF even?  We signed Smith/Smith/Amos/Turner last year.  That’s going YOLO.  Intelligently.  

2010 Eagles won the Super Bowl.