NFL News & Notes

Leader

On 9/1/2020 at 5:50 PM, pacman5252 said:

Yeah, I definitely think they are really overrated right now.

-2019 Griff is better than Yannick (higher pff grade, has about 30 lbs)

-2019 L Joseph was still a plug in the middle (71 PFF) and his replacement is on the covid list. For 2020 their IDL might be the worst in the league.

1. -The corners might have been mediocre last year, but their oldest corner now is 24... maybe in 2 years, in 2020 it is going to be dicey

2.-Reiff if he gets cut is a loss. He is overpaid, but he still isn't bad (PFF 71.2). Going to Ezra who isn't ready or another retread is a mistake.

3.-Dakota Dozier starting...

4.-A top 15 wr being replaced by a rookie (WR 3+ is also as bad as ours)

Being objective, I see a 6-8 win roster.They have a potential bottom 5 OL and a DL that might be the worst against the run in the league. The 2018 NFC championship roster team is dead. Realistically, I don't see them being a real contender until 2022 (young guys they drafted this year next getting PT and developing).

1. Lots of maturity issues to iron out. They didn't get as lucky as we did with Jaire and Kevin King, plus Holton Hill's big red flag was his mentals.

2. Reiff would be wise to take a pay-cut for a year as per the suggestion of the guys on the Sirius XM NFL channel. Take the pay cut, figure out where to go after next year and who knows, maybe Minny comes back and pays him what he's worth if he plays well and helps the team.

3. Is he now...didn't catch that...

4. I think you're being too harsh on our WR's with that one. As far as I'm concerned, Minny has Thielen, Jefferson, and WR5's.

I don't think they'll be as bad as 6-10 or 8-8, this isn't the Cowboys we're talking about here 😆; but I see them at 9-7. 

EDIT: Sources are now saying Reiff has taken a pay-cut.

Edited by Joe

5 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

the RB market is so saturated... i think when AJ hits the market he will have a hard time finding an offer the is substantially higher than the packers offer for him to split the load with AJ dillon

Will he want to hit the market. I think he'd be hard pressed to get as many touches behind the quality of our OL elsewhere; plus whose to say our 1-2 punch with him and Dillon won't be lethal? We've really improved our run blocking over the past 3 seasons.

I said last year and I’ll say it again... Sanu is not what you think he is.

I was flabbergasted when New England gave up a second round pick for him.

Career high receptions under 70.

Career high yards under 900.

Career high touchdowns is 5.

He’s not what people think he is.  Lazard could do better this year.  

• Like 2

Sanu is worth a shot if the salary is right. He was meant to earn $6.5m this season and no one is going to pay that. If he took something similar or less than what Funchess was on a base of $2.5m I would be up for that. He fits the size profile of what MLF likes 6'.2 and 215lbs. At worst he would be a number 4 behind Adams, Lazard and MVS. Competing with EQ and Kumerow is about right in my mind. And I get worried with EQ whether the injury bug will follow him around. 

4 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

With Sanu being cut and Sanders not being resigned, can we acknowledge how bad of an idea trading a second for a middle of the road wr2 is mid season?

Again, Sanu trade was bad, Sanders trade was not. It got SF to the SB (see e.g. LAR game) and then when it was all on the line, Sanders was the guy open deep to catch probably the game winning TD. Jimmy just missed him. Sanders was the guy we should have traded for. 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Again, Sanu trade was bad, Sanders trade was not. It got SF to the SB (see e.g. LAR game) and then when it was all on the line, Sanders was the guy open deep to catch probably the game winning TD. Jimmy just missed him. Sanders was the guy we should have traded for. 

The Sanders trade is more defensible but was still really bad. SF didn’t need Sanders to get to the Super Bowl. They ran for like 300 yards against us and shut our O down. Yes you can point to one missed opportunity to Sanders in the Super Bowl, but the counter is you can do that with probably 15 plays every game (take away this incompletion, this run, missed tackle, etc).

We would have essentially given up 4 years of A.J. Dillion in value (3rd/4th) for a player that would have only added a little on the margin for 9 games + playoffs

5 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

With Sanu being cut and Sanders not being resigned, can we acknowledge how bad of an idea trading a second for a middle of the road wr2 is mid season?

Or simply trading full price for a player you also have to get a new contract to period, because then you're double paying, as you have to pay the team and pay the player both.

Look at Bears with edge rusher Mack, or Rams and their expensive CB Ramsey, WR Sanders, etc.

If you're going to do it, be like the Ravens who got low price steal trades in CB Peters and DL Campbell, which I'm so jealous of those trades. Peters and Campbell could of potential sent this defense over the top.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

The Sanders trade is more defensible but was still really bad. SF didn’t need Sanders to get to the Super Bowl. They ran for like 300 yards against us and shut our O down. Yes you can point to one missed opportunity to Sanders in the Super Bowl, but the counter is you can do that with probably 15 plays every game (take away this incompletion, this run, missed tackle, etc).

We would have essentially given up 4 years of A.J. Dillion in value (3rd/4th) for a player that would have only added a little on the margin for 9 games + playoffs

Not what I'm talking about. SF was the No. 1 seed. They very likely don't get the No. 1 seed without the Sanders move. Go watch the LAR game again. Very close game that SF doesn't win without a few big time catches by Sanders. That one additional loss drops them to 4 losses - meaning GB gets the 1 seed (whether we traded for Sanders or not - I'm merely talking about SF not getting him).  That makes the playoffs go through Lambeau. Again, maybe we still lose at home, but our odds would certainly have been better. Going to SF and winning was a pipe dream from the moment they kicked our *** the first time.