NFL News & Notes

Leader

16 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

The Saints have essentially been in perpetual cap hell since their super bowl. All 2nd contracts are basically 2-3 year deals and player shelf life is only like 5 years anyways. You may lose a guy here and there that you dont want but you should be able to keep your core intact until the contract is renewable/tradable/deletable. 

For like 4 years everyone has been saying the Vikings are screwed. But which of their players that they let go arent past their prime or is a major loss? Like maybe they wouldve liked keeping Trae around? Does he change their defense though? 

The money comes due, but players expire faster.

The beauty about the NFL cap is yes there are workarounds (extending to spread signing bonus, non guaranteed contracts).  There are very unique challenges to 2021 since for years teams have had the assumption the cap will go up 5-10%, but next year we probably get a flat cap. That is 10M less wiggle room along with all the shennigans that are used.

As far as the Vikes, last year the cap did finally kind of burn them. They lost T Waynes, Griffon (who can still play), Alex Kline (startable G), Diggs, Reiff, is going to get cut, M Alexander (solid nickle), L Joseph could still play, Rhodes (kind of sucked). The only non rookie they added that is going to get run is Ngakue. Yes, some of these guys aren't in prime, but most were at least replacement level players. I know they had a few high picks but I honestly can't believe how much respect they are still getting (top 3 corner are rookies/first time starters, a crap interior DL, likely a new LT, a new G, no Diggs)

29 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

The beauty about the NFL cap is yes there are workarounds (extending to spread signing bonus, non guaranteed contracts).  There are very unique challenges to 2021 since for years teams have had the assumption the cap will go up 5-10%, but next year we probably get a flat cap. That is 10M less wiggle room along with all the shennigans that are used.

As far as the Vikes, last year the cap did finally kind of burn them. They lost T Waynes, Griffon (who can still play), Alex Kline (startable G), Diggs, Reiff, is going to get cut, M Alexander (solid nickle), L Joseph could still play, Rhodes (kind of sucked). The only non rookie they added that is going to get run is Ngakue. Yes, some of these guys aren't in prime, but most were at least replacement level players. I know they had a few high picks but I honestly can't believe how much respect they are still getting (top 3 corner are rookies/first time starters, a crap interior DL, likely a new LT, a new G, no Diggs)

Their OL is pretty rough right now and if Reiff doesn't take a pay cut I can't see them plugging Ezra Cleveland in there right away. They've listed Cleveland as an OL on their site so I'm wondering if they're thinking about kicking him inside. He's a bit of a project TBH. Other than that, they've got lots of new pieces on both sides of the ball and I can't see them settling things down enough to win the 11 games most people think they'll win. They've also got a tough road schedule going to Seattle, Indy, Houston, N.O., and T. B. The talent is there, sure, but I don't think they put it together - at least not this year. One more good draft and I think they're a problem next year; Kurt will be in a contract year as well next year...hmmmm...

Edited by Joe

5 hours ago, packfanfb said:

They probably don't care. This is likely Brees' last season, win or lose. They spent big money on Sanders and Jenkins to bolster both sides of the ball. Saints are the definition of "all in" this year. 

Not having Kamara this year because "we literally don't have the money to pay you" won't help very much with that.

Like "we backed up the truck for Taysom Hill so we had to trade Alvin Kamara" is just some galaxy brain GMing.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

52 minutes ago, Joe said:

Their OL is pretty rough right now and if Reiff doesn't take a pay cut I can't see them plugging Ezra Cleveland in there right away. They've listed Cleveland as an OL on their site so I'm wondering if they're thinking about kicking him inside. He's a bit of a project TBH. Other than that, they've got lots of new pieces on both sides of the ball and I can't see them settling things down enough to win the 11 games most people think they'll win. They've also got a tough road schedule going to Seattle, Indy, Houston, N.O., and T. B. The talent is there, sure, but I don't think they put it together - at least not this year. One more good draft and I think they're a problem next year; Kurt will be in a contract year as well next year...hmmmm...

Yeah, I definitely think they are really overrated right now.

-2019 Griff is better than Yannick (higher pff grade, has about 30 lbs)

-2019 L Joseph was still a plug in the middle (71 PFF) and his replacement is on the covid list. For 2020 their IDL might be the worst in the league.

-The corners might have been mediocre last year, but their oldest corner now is 24... maybe in 2 years, in 2020 it is going to be dicey

-Reiff if he gets cut is a loss. He is overpaid, but he still isn't bad (PFF 71.2). Going to Ezra who isn't ready or another retread is a mistake.

-Dakota Dozier starting...

-A top 15 wr being replaced by a rookie (WR 3+ is also as bad as ours)

Being objective, I see a 6-8 win roster.They have a potential bottom 5 OL and a DL that might be the worst against the run in the league. The 2018 NFC championship roster team is dead. Realistically, I don't see them being a real contender until 2022 (young guys they drafted this year next getting PT and developing).

5 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

Reiff is getting his deal redone. Their tackles are in a fine spot. Theyre hoping the 1st round center makes a leap. Kline was a stop gap pretty good in the pass.. Dru is a better fit for them tho. The G's are a problem but if you have 3/5 set youre doing quite well. Diggs isnt gone because of cap, so he'd be gone regardless. Linval has started the big man injury tour. "Better a year early than a year late" could apply here. Everson might have a bit left but thats pretty well mitigated with ngakoue. 

Theyre definitely relying on young guys... But so are we? It comes down to if you believe Zimmer can field a D with 2 guys at every level or if he needs more. Lucky for him C3 corner can find a lot of help.

I think, on paper, the division is still ours. But the North wont be swept this year. Theres problems on each team we have to figure out. 

Quinn/Mack, Z/P, Flowers, Hunter/Yannick.

The division had better lock down their tackles.  That's a murderers row.

I think if you want to predict the winner of the division, look no farther than the tackles.  Eliminates Chicago.  Next worse on the list is Vikes.  Then Lions, then GB.

We gotta really hope that Turner or Wager get it figured out at RT.  

Then if you look at scheme....I dare say that if you run more, it negates a little bit of those edge guys.  Advantage Vikes, Advantage GB.  Disadvantage Bears.  Disadvantage Lions.

I still see GB as the favorite to win the division, Vikes second, Lions third, Bears last.

It is interesting to me that we manhandled that Minnesota OL last year...twice.  Yet in other games they more than held their own.  I really don't know what to make out of that line because of the inconsistency.

52 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

12 million a year for a running back gives me nightmares.  Bengals are dumb. 

they have a cheap QB and Mixon may be their best player on O let alone that team. The math sucks but they don't have to pay many other players do they?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I think if you want to predict the winner of the division, look no farther than the tackles.  Eliminates Chicago.  Next worse on the list is Vikes.  Then Lions, then GB.

O'Neill is roughly as good as Decker. Reiff is better than Vaitai. So the Vikings are no worse at tackle than the Lions.

Bakhtiari is clearly the best tackle in the division but RT across from him is a question mark. Knowing the Packers track record with OL they'll be fine, but there's a risk that Mack and Hunter will be able to take advantage.

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

It is interesting to me that we manhandled that Minnesota OL last year...twice.  Yet in other games they more than held their own.  I really don't know what to make out of that line because of the inconsistency.

The Vikings OL is undersized and struggled against other teams with high end talent on the defensive front, especially teams that could bring explosive interior power rushers like SF, CHI, KC and ATL. Packers are an especially tough matchup for them given Clark's power and Zadarius lining up inside.

They probably continue to struggle until/unless Bradbury develops. If Elflein could learn to stay balanced and not miss with his hands, that'd help. Stupidly, they're going into the season with a scrub at LG (Dozier), so they might be even worse this year.

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

..I think if you want to predict the winner of the division, look no farther than the tackles.  Eliminates Chicago.  Next worse on the list is Vikes.  Then Lions, then GB....

Kinda hard to imagine that GB with Billy Turner starting at RT has the best tackle-set in the division.  If that's actually true, either Turner's better than I give him credit for (as a tackle), or our division has some real tackle-trouble, and our division is going to have a hard time getting any team to the SB.  

Hoping Turner and Wagner, and perhaps someday Nijman, pleasantly surprise me.  

2 hours ago, craig said:

Kinda hard to imagine that GB with Billy Turner starting at RT has the best tackle-set in the division.  If that's actually true, either Turner's better than I give him credit for (as a tackle), or our division has some real tackle-trouble, and our division is going to have a hard time getting any team to the SB.  

PFT is reporting that Turner is hurt and that he was playing tackle.

2 hours ago, craig said:

I very much believe in Wagner.  He will be a steady pro.