NFL News & Notes

Leader

The breakouts be breaking out......

ESPN -  "Late last night, we received notice that a Patriots player tested positive for COVID-19. The player immediately entered self-quarantine," the Patriots said in a statement Saturday.  "Several additional players, coaches and staff who have been in close contact with the player received point of care tests this morning and all were negative for COVID-19."

The NFL said in a statement Saturday that there were "positive COVID-19 tests on both teams."

Chiefs practice squad quarterback Jordan Ta'amu tested positive as well, a source told ESPN, confirming an NFL Network report. Ta'amu serves as Kansas City's scout team quarterback and played the role of Newton in preparation for this week's game.

As a result of the positive tests, the NFL said Sunday's scheduled game will be played either Monday or Tuesday. A source told Schefter that "Tuesday is more likely."

So 3 different teams all got it in the same week, after none for the first 3 weeks... 

Lucky two of them Patriots and Chiefs are playing each other, so if just two guys, might be able to push that back a day or two.

But people wondered why I said extra bye weeks might be nice if they're going to reschedule them to give more available of when to schedule them.

It seems like something will have to change, either add more bye weeks, cancel some games, move everyone into bubbles or be more alright with players having Covid. 

8 minutes ago, Beast said:

It seems like something will have to change, either add more bye weeks, cancel some games, move everyone into bubbles or be more alright with players having Covid. 

Agree.  Having some ways to make it work even if one or two guys on a team test positive seems kinda necessary.  Starting the season a week or too earlier or being willing to extend it a week or two on the back end, to squeeze in a makeup-games week or two, would seem kinda smart.  

It's been nice that baseball's season has gone pretty well.  Super different, of course, with the capacity to schedule makeup-games via double-headers.  

Every single game has to be treated like a playoff game with the uncertainty of COVID. 

If the NFL doesn't shorten the season, the Titans are screwed.  This just wrecked their season.  Missed a game, in jeopardy of missing their next game...

Mega games like the Chiefs/Ravens could mean the difference between playoffs and going home.

Current stnadings in the NFL are:

Chiefs
Bills
Titans
Steelers
Patriots
Ravens
Browns
Colts

Seahawks
Packers
Bears
Buccaneers
Cardinals
Rams
Niners
Redskins

If the NFL decides to do something like a 12 game season and 8 playoff teams, that's your current postseason lineup right now. 

What sucks is it's not enough to keep your team safe.  The NFL seems to think it's a good idea to just delay games instead of forcing players who test positive to sit out.

How I see it, teams need to be held accountable for their players and staff.  Everyone who tests positive should have to sit out for three weeks, but the games should go on with everyone who has tested negative.

If I was a guessing person, I would say that 70% of positive results can be attributed to the person who got it doing something they shouldn't have been doing in this situation.  Partying, going places without a mask, not social distancing, etc. 

So why does the team with zero positive results have to have their schedule upended by the other team?  The team with the zero positive tests should get to play the other team.

Cam Newton.  That situation is bull****.  Chiefs should have gotten to play the Patriots without Cam Newton.  Only Cam Newton tested positive.  Now the game is delayed?  For what?  Now the Chiefs schedule is uncertain because Cam Newton somehow got the virus.

Accountability is completely absent in today's world.  Nobody knows the meaning of, "Actions have consequences." 

Just now, ThatJerkDave said:

What if, now hear me out, we treated the NFL players like kids in kindergarten when someone got the chicken pox and made them get covid?  Then they would all have it and be done with it. 

I'm not putting this in green text because I'm not even joking, but back when I thought this was like chicken pox, I suggested this.  There are plenty who wouldn't want to do it out of fear for their life, but if I was in this situation and I had to feel like crap for two weeks to not have to worry about catching it anymore, I would have exposed myself to it.

But then I found out that antibodies only last about 3 months.  So that went out the window.

But yeah, if I was an Aaron Rodgers/Tom Brady/Russell Wilson, I would have exposed myself and tried to convince my teammates to do it.  With the health care they have access to as well as their peak physical condition, and knowing they don't have any underlying health concerns, it would be about as risky as ziplining.