NFL News & Notes

Leader

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Every single game has to be treated like a playoff game with the uncertainty of COVID. 

If the NFL doesn't shorten the season, the Titans are screwed.  This just wrecked their season.  Missed a game, in jeopardy of missing their next game...

Mega games like the Chiefs/Ravens could mean the difference between playoffs and going home.

Current stnadings in the NFL are:

Chiefs
Bills
Titans
Steelers
Patriots
Ravens
Browns
Colts

Seahawks
Packers
Bears
Buccaneers
Cardinals
Rams
Niners
Redskins

If the NFL decides to do something like a 12 game season and 8 playoff teams, that's your current postseason lineup right now. 

What sucks is it's not enough to keep your team safe.  The NFL seems to think it's a good idea to just delay games instead of forcing players who test positive to sit out.

How I see it, teams need to be held accountable for their players and staff.  Everyone who tests positive should have to sit out for three weeks, but the games should go on with everyone who has tested negative.

If I was a guessing person, I would say that 70% of positive results can be attributed to the person who got it doing something they shouldn't have been doing in this situation.  Partying, going places without a mask, not social distancing, etc. 

So why does the team with zero positive results have to have their schedule upended by the other team?  The team with the zero positive tests should get to play the other team.

Cam Newton.  That situation is bull****.  Chiefs should have gotten to play the Patriots without Cam Newton.  Only Cam Newton tested positive.  Now the game is delayed?  For what?  Now the Chiefs schedule is uncertain because Cam Newton somehow got the virus.

Accountability is completely absent in today's world.  Nobody knows the meaning of, "Actions have consequences." 

Chiefs still playing NE without Newton. 

I agree on the "treat every game as a playoff game," with a 16-game schedule, that should be the mentality every year. Hence why it's imperative that Adams and Clark play tomorrow, and not be held out for "precautionary" reasons. Losing to ATL could prove very costly to the long-term goals of this team. 

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

I'm not putting this in green text because I'm not even joking, but back when I thought this was like chicken pox, I suggested this.  There are plenty who wouldn't want to do it out of fear for their life, but if I was in this situation and I had to feel like crap for two weeks to not have to worry about catching it anymore, I would have exposed myself to it.

But then I found out that antibodies only last about 3 months.  So that went out the window.

But yeah, if I was an Aaron Rodgers/Tom Brady/Russell Wilson, I would have exposed myself and tried to convince my teammates to do it.  With the health care they have access to as well as their peak physical condition, and knowing they don't have any underlying health concerns, it would be about as risky as ziplining. 

I mean the risk of death is minimum... they could have other health facts that might be troublesome as they go forward in life.

I mean the people that basically lose smell and taste for like months... I’m sure are worried it has done long term damage.

There are reasons to believe that there are long term physical after effects, including possible lung and heart problems. That is very serious to an athlete and we don't know enough to say for certain how bad it could be long term. That's what's terrifying about the "just get everyone sick" thought.

• Like 1

SMH.  Like long term health effects matter when a Super Bowl is on the line. 

I keep forgetting about those long-term effects, and whenever I remember, I get more tempted to drink hand sanitizer through my nose.

Edited by Outpost31
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I keep forgetting about those long-term effects, and whenever I remember, I get more tempted to drink hand sanitizer through my nose.

This is disgusting.

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

The trick is to think of it less like the flu and more like polio - yes, if you're young and healthy the odds of dying from it are fairly low, but it can still have potentially life-altering effects; the flu, if you're one of the vast majority who survives, has zero side effects once it runs its course. 

Edited by Mr Bad Example
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

The trick is to think of it less like the flu and more like polio - yes, if you're young and healthy the odds of dying from it are fairly low, but it can still mess you up. 

Yeah I know.  As I said in the white small text that’s hidden, I keep forgetting about the long term effects that aome people are reportedly suffering from.  Makes it very scary all over again.

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah I know.  As I said in the white small text that’s hidden, I keep forgetting about the long term effects that aome people are reportedly suffering from.  Makes it very scary all over again.

I read the white, and once I read someone make the comparison I stole above, that locked in for me as a better way to put it out there. But people don't think much about polio because it's basically cured in the US (though anti-vaxxers are helping it make a comeback). 

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

Field Yates -  The Houston Texans are spending $255M in cash on their roster this season, more than any other team in the NFL. They owe their first- and second-round picks in 2021 to the Dolphins. They're currently 0-4.

This is why if you’re rebuilding, you always take the picks.  Teams who generally give up big picks are desperate, and desperate teams are desperate for a reason.

The Texans are going to be rebuilding for at least the next three years of Watson’s prime.  They’ve got no young foundation on either side of the ball to build around.  They put out a TED Talk for how to destroy a football team.

27 minutes ago, Leader said:

Field Yates -  The Houston Texans are spending $255M in cash on their roster this season, more than any other team in the NFL. They owe their first- and second-round picks in 2021 to the Dolphins. They're currently 0-4.

The Packers should be targetting them for trades.  JJ Watt would be a fun addition.