NFL News & Notes

Leader

9 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Yeah and you averaged it... every other guy has like twice or three times as many games as him haha. Meaning people have twice or three times as many moments of post season excellence to place with their names.

Again we talking baseball here? Just looking at stats...

Football you need more than stats. So you try again. 

Okay, then let’s take stats out of the equation for a moment and focus on the playoffs. I think you’re off base here. WR while a skill position isn’t like the QB position where it has the power to elevate a team to be a perennial contender (See Larry Fitzgerald). I don’t think they’re going to hold his Front offices lack of ability to sign, resign or draft talent around them or put a good coach there (BoB) is going to hold him back from getting into the Hall of Fame and full heartedly believe all of that will be considered when they consider his Playoff experience.

Personally, I believe that Nuk should be in the HoF just for having to play under BoB but that’s just me 😂

Edited by Nick_gb

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

And those guys careers are all done. Hopkins is 28 lol. We are talking about trajectory and he has it. There's a reason you're the only person arguing this.

And, no, WRs don't need "more than stats" because those 4 WRs have a combined 2 Super Bowl wins. Tim Brown & Andre Reed are also two more WRs that are in the HoF with no rings. Steve Largent is in the HoF FFS. You know how many playoff games he played? Seven. He played seven games and put up less stats than Hopkins already has. We're not talking about Quarterback here.

Wow a lot of stuff to unpack here.

Im the only one making the argument... isn’t an argument for you to be right.

Yes he is 28 he will be entering an age range where injuries could become a concern, screwing him over. He also has less chances at post season play. Less seasons to be considered the best in the nfl at his position, etc. 

I never said Hopkins need a ring. I said he needs more team success or awards. He needs to be a reason his team goes to the playoffs consistently or he needs to win offensive player of the year awards etc. Tim Brown and Andre Reed are players that were part of classic nfl teams that had post season success. Reed went to 4 straight Super Bowls as the top target.

Also Steve Largent was widely regarded as the best of his ERA... you claiming Hopkins is that?

And yea he needs more than stats... he is in the era of offense where any practice squad guy can put up an impressive stat line. He has to do it game in and game out, season in and season out... all the while helping his team to playoff success. It’s everything.

9 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

Okay, then let’s take stats out of the equation for a moment and focus on the playoffs. I think you’re off base here. WR while a skill position isn’t like the QB position where it has the power to elevate a team to be a perennial contender (See Larry Fitzgerald). I don’t think they’re going to hold his Front offices lack of ability to sign, resign or draft talent around them or put a good coach there (BoB) is going to hold him back from getting into the Hall of Fame and full heartedly believe all of that will be considered when they consider his Playoff experience.

Personally, I believe that Nuk should be in the HoF just for having to play under BoB but that’s just me 😂

Larry had post season success and moments though... that’s my point.

He had a historical run to the super bowl for the cards. He had that overtime run that won the cards that playoff game versus GB.

Im not saying you need SBs. Never said that. But you do need bites at the apple in the post season to have games and moments in front of everyone. Hopkins doesn’t have those.

Edited by Green19

1 minute ago, Green19 said:

Wow a lot of stuff to unpack here.

Im the only one making the argument... isn’t an argument for you to be right.

Yes he is 28 he will be entering an age range where injuries could become a concern, screwing him over. He also has less chances at post season play. Less seasons to be considered the best in the nfl at his position, etc. 

I never said Hopkins need a ring. I said he needs more team success or awards. He needs to be a reason his team goes to the playoffs consistently or he needs to win offensive player of the year awards etc. Tim Brown and Andre Reed are players that were part of classic nfl teams that had post season success. Reed went to 4 straight Super Bowls as the top target.

Also Steve Largent was widely regarded as the best of his ERA... you claiming Hopkins is that?

And yea he needs more than stats... he is in the era of offense where any practice squad guy can put up an impressive stat line. He has to do it game in and game out, season in and season out... all the while helping his team to playoff success. It’s everything.

Yes a guy putting up 94/1200/8 per 16 can be done by a practice squad player lol

DeAndre Hopkins is a 4x Pro Bowler and 3x All Pro
Largent is a 7x Pro Bowler and 1x All Pro

How can a dude with 1 All Pro nod be considered the "best of his era" lol

Just now, Green19 said:

And Hopkins is 40.7 at their metric........ 88th and next to jordy. So is jordy a Hofer?

Good god, Jordy is retired. Hopkins isn't even close to retirement. This whole argument is entering "LaDainian Tomlinson is overrated because he might get injured" territory.

Just now, beekay414 said:

Yes a guy putting up 94/1200/8 per 16 can be done by a practice squad player lol

DeAndre Hopkins is a 4x Pro Bowler and 3x All Pro
Largent is a 7x Pro Bowler and 1x All Pro

How can a dude with 1 All Pro nod be considered the "best of his era" lol

Um different era of football...might have something to do with it. Don Hutson doesn’t have the stat line these guys do but is widely consider the player that made down field passing a thing in the nfl.

Comparing nuke you need to compare him to his contemporaries. If you are going to compare to historical eras you need to look at what those players were in those era. 

4 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Um, no.  Steve Largent is certainly not thought of as the best WR of his era.

He is up there, made the all decade team in the 80s right next to Jerry Rice. So apparently people that vote on that stuff, just like the hof, thought highly of him.

10 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Um different era of football...might have something to do with it. Don Hutson doesn’t have the stat line these guys do but is widely consider the player that made down field passing a thing in the nfl.

Comparing nuke you need to compare him to his contemporaries. If you are going to compare to historical eras you need to look at what those players were in those era. 

And that's why I compared Nuk to the most recent HoF induction WRs of this new era. Then you came running in with "he needs more than numbers" which is false because his bulk stats alone will get him in by the end of his career and they are comparable to those players that have a combined 2 Super Bowls.

Edited by beekay414

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

And that's why I compared Nuk to the most recent HoF induction WRs of this new era. Then you came running in with "he needs more than numbers" which is false because his bulk stats alone will get him in by the end of his career and they are comparable to those players that have a combined 2 Super Bowls.

I said he is on track with stats but it’s more than stats.

Those guys you show have historical teams attached. Issac Bruce was a weapon of the “greatest show on turf”. Teams recently have put up better numbers than that team... but why don’t they have the same notoriety? Because of era.

My point is Hopkin has stats... sure. But nothing else. He isn’t the main weapon on a team making super bowl appearances or some historical offense. He isn’t a wr that is widely accepted as the main driver of a sorry team getting to the playoffs (jj watt was). He isn’t widely accepted as the best of his current era (Julio is). He isn’t the main weapon of a hof QB.

Like I said he has stats... but a lot of guys will this era. You said yourself... Michael Thomas is no Hopkins. Yet people are arguing he is BETTER. Last year Thomas was the best for most... this year Adams is getting that buzz. Julio is still getting buzz because of pass accomplishments and is getting a pass because of the HC and Ryan.... so his great was sooo great he has people making excuses for him.

He needs more... and by all means if everyone here want to bet that the cardinals are going to be consistent playoff contenders for the rest of Hopkins career to help him get some of those things that will help him be a hof... by all means.

17 hours ago, Green19 said:

I know... but his trajectory isn’t amazing outside of his stats.

Until his team shows they will be normal post season contenders, and until other guys like Michael Thomas, Adams, etc fall of the cliff so Hopkins is the obvious clear number one guy. I mean just look at what winning and being on the right team with the right QB is doing for DK Metcaf... he is already being talked about as in the top five.

Stat wise yes... Hopkins is on track. But he has bad trajectory everywhere else. He is more on track for the hall of really good.

Fortunately, voters are getting beyond the "rings = Great" math they'd been using for so long.