NFL News & Notes

Leader

You can't hit players in soccer, but you can shoot them with shotguns ?? I've seen highlights where they get shot, I'm assuming from the stands, because no one is within 10 'meters' of them, and get blown back 20 'meters' before writhing on the ground near death from their injuries, only to make a full recovery 30 seconds later. I assumed they escaped certain death due their great conditioning program and lots of rest from standing around during games

Edited by cannondale

37 minutes ago, cannondale said:

You can't hit players in soccer, but you can shoot them with shotguns ?? I've seen highlights where they get shot, I'm assuming from the stands, because no one is within 10 'meters' of them, and get blown back 20 'meters' before writhing on the ground near death from their injuries, only to make a full recovery 30 seconds later. I assumed they escaped certain death due their great conditioning program and lots of rest from standing around during games

Wait a second flopping got so bad in the NBA they put a rule in to try and stop it. LeBron is the King of the flop. Guys in every sport will try and exaggerate a play to get a call. 

This is nothing new in sports. You are trying too hard to hate on soccer. So you don't like soccer or Jordan Love. We get it. 

23 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

guys, I think he's calling them babies

After all this time. After threatening to block me numerous times, I am honored that you follow me so closely now. Humbling to know that there are those out there who put the energy in that you do. I wish I had the time to reciprocate, or care

17 minutes ago, cannondale said:

After all this time. After threatening to block me numerous times, I am honored that you follow me so closely now. Humbling to know that there are those out there who put the energy in that you do. I wish I had the time to reciprocate, or care

You just did though

8 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

free flowing ball movement.  Very few set pieces

offsides. - It's "offside" in both. But also, football has essentially the same concept.

goals.  Goalkeepers. - End zones? 

everyone passes - Rugby? Lacrosse? Water polo?

attackers, midfield/center, defenders - Way simplifying the names of positions.

tripping - Also in soccer.

out of bounds - Literally any sport with boundary lines.

instant frequent transition from offense to defense - *insert almost any team sport here*

delayed penalties. - Football? 

Penalty shots. - DPI

Ties. - ...also in football

Getting put in time-out for fouls. - You actually aren't removed from the field for a caution in soccer under most rules unless it's a second caution in which case it's the same as an ejection from any sport.

Borderline irrelevant coaches from an in-game perspective compared to football. - *insert Budenholzer joke here*

This is inherently a stupid argument, but I feel like you aren't willing to see the forest through the trees here.  The rules of the game are quite similar.

Also, why are we comparing two wildly different sports to begin with? 

People will watch soccer if they're interested. Maybe they're hockey fans. Maybe they're football fans. Maybe they don't like any sport.

28 minutes ago, Striker said:

Also, why are we comparing two wildly different sports to begin with? 

People will watch soccer if they're interested. Maybe they're hockey fans. Maybe they're football fans. Maybe they don't like any sport.

Weve decided, as a forum, were moving beyond comparisons. No more comparing anything thats not in exact replica.

• Like 2

I’m late to this party but as an euro, let me assure you hockey is significantly more similar to soccer than American football. Simply put, I can follow a hockey game and understand what’s going on without prior knowledge of the game just because of its similarity to soccer. Football on the other hand took me a while to get, I had to frequently pause the game to research rules because I didn’t understand why certain things / penalties were happening.

• Like 2