NFL News & Notes

Leader

4 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

Well, we'll just disagree on this.  He couldn't carry Moss's jock strap (and I hate Moss).  He wasn't even the best WR on his college team.  His team's record since he's been a part of it is 12-16.  He gets away with a little push-off move and racks up a lot of stats in garbage time or playing the Lions (same thing?)  He's good, I'll give you that, but the accolades going his way are unearned IMO.  I think he falls under 'damn lies and statistics'.  Jaire will eat his lunch.

Jefferson is special, most WRs dont come in and dominate right away. Hes producing as well as Davante Adams did in his 3rd-5th year in the league. I understand the situations are different but Adams was disrespected by rivals for a long time, as a product of a system or because we had a great qb. Comparing him to moss will make him look ordinary, moss is pretty much the consensus 2nd best receiver of all time, of course he isnt better.

Edited by ifeelasleep

3 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Probably goes without saying that you can't just compare stats straight up as the passing game has chnaged significantly since 1998 and Moss was splitting targets with a HOFer in Carter and jake Reed

Adam Thielen would like a word with you.

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

if you are comparing picks in round 1, 2, 3 as being equivalent to 1st and 5th, I got nothing to help you on that

So, you are saying that GB did draft a corner in the first round and fifth round the year after Jefferson came into the league, right?

I'm not saying it is equal.  I was just asking what positions we picked in the first and fifth rounds.

To me, it is similar, not identical, but similar.

That team that drafted CB's in the 1,2,3 of the draft also had Tyrone Williams as pretty much the only known corner on the roster at that time.

Our GB team had Alexander established as an elite corner in the league.  Then King, for whatever he is.  And a modest corner in Sullivan.

This past year we had better talent coming back at corner than we did in 99.

16 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

So, you are saying that GB did draft a corner in the first round and fifth round the year after Jefferson came into the league, right?

I'm not saying it is equal.  I was just asking what positions we picked in the first and fifth rounds.

To me, it is similar, not identical, but similar.

That team that drafted CB's in the 1,2,3 of the draft also had Tyrone Williams as pretty much the only known corner on the roster at that time.

Our GB team had Alexander established as an elite corner in the league.  Then King, for whatever he is.  And a modest corner in Sullivan.

This past year we had better talent coming back at corner than we did in 99.

I don't think it's similar as one situation is, supposedly, drafting based on one player in your division (or perhaps nightmares of The Catch II) vs. drafting CB as part of the BPA strategy and because of how many dangerous WRs there are in the conference right now (Jefferson/Thielen/Kupp/Woods/Hopkins/Metcalf/Lockett/Samuel/Godwin/Evans/Brown/Cooper/Lamb/McLaurin/etc) in a pass happy league with rules that favor offensive players.

Edited by Striker

3 minutes ago, Striker said:

I don't think it's similar as one situation is, supposedly, drafting based on one player in your division (or perhaps nightmares of The Catch II) vs. drafting CB as part of the BPA strategy and because of how many dangerous WRs there are in the conference right now (Jefferson/Thielen/Kupp/Woods/Hopkins/Metcalf/Lockett/Samuel/Godwin/Evans/Brown/Cooper/Lamb/McLaurin/etc) in a pass happy league with rules that favor offensive players.

This past draft was due to the shift in offenses as a whole rather than accounting for one player. Back in the late 90's offenses were still run heavy and didn't spread the field quite like the do today. GB was short handed in the secondary going into free agency and the draft so drafting two CB's was more roster filling than anything. It just so happens the BPA in the first was a CB. Obviously I do not like Moss as most others around here but that guy was on a different level and actually was playing with worse QB's than Cousins during his time with the Vikings.

• Like 1

This "Moss only ran one route" thing needs to die.  Man could run the whole tree at a high level, the reason he ran so many vertical routes should be obvious.  Moss had 46 career TDs of 40+ yards; at his current rate, it'll only take Justin Jefferson a mere ten more seasons to accumulate that many catches of 40+ yards, let alone TDs.  Moss was absolutely game-breaking in the deep passing game, and arguing that it would somehow have been better to run more short yardage routes so he could take more hits and threaten safeties less is a non-starter to me.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Striker said:

Not saying you are wrong, at all.

But weren't there other very good receivers back when Moss was a rookie?

Edit:  I looked it up.  There were some very good receivers.  But IMO not to the extent that there is now.

Even though that list is littered with guys whom I don't think really "scare" anyone.  But overall, I'd concur that the talent level at WR now is better than the talent back then.  Though it is tough to judge because of the rule change.

Still.....We took 3 corners after Moss was drafted.  As stated, 1st, 2nd, 3rd.  When GB did that, they had Tyrone Williams as the only "known" corner on the roster.

And last year we took 2 corners, first and fifth after Jefferson was drafted.  When GB did this, JA had already established himself as one of the best corners in the league.

Those are the facts.  Everything else is opinion.

Debate all you want, the above are facts.