Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

2 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

As long as Byron Buxton is on the team, that will continue to be a problem.

Conversely, as long as Byron Buxton is on the team they've also got an MVP caliber player. Byron Buxton is like 15th on the list of concerns with the team. He's the 21st highest paid outfielder in baseball by AAV. 

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

Conversely, as long as Byron Buxton is on the team they've also got an MVP caliber player. Byron Buxton is like 15th on the list of concerns with the team. He's the 21st highest paid outfielder in baseball by AAV. 

Oh sure. But dependability is an ability. And an important one. His contract is reasonable. But he's simply not reliable. 

Wonder if Correa would have thought any differently if Bux had played 145 games last year. 

3 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Oh sure. But dependability is an ability. And an important one. His contract is reasonable. But he's simply not reliable. 

Wonder if Correa would have thought any differently if Bux had played 145 games last year. 

I HIGHLY doubt it. 65 million dollars means more than just about everything. Even if he did love being here (he did) and loved his teammates (he did), a team paying 25% more in total dollars will win every time.

34 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

“Durability trumps ability,” was a motto emphasized by my former boss, Bud Grant, the legendary Hall of Fame coach for the Minnesota Vikings.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1241443-in-sports-athletes-is-durability-more-important-than-ability#:~:text=However%2C as Coach Grant said,not help their teams succeed.

• Like 1

13 years is an absurd contract, and in a vacuum I can see why a team wouldn’t go that high. But it’s not a vacuum, and this is just another example of the Twins failing to make the best offer. And then, like clockwork, hours after we hear of the agreement, reports come out about how hard the Twins tried, that they make a strong effort, and even get numbers of their “offer”. It would be hilarious, if it wasn’t so pathetic at this point. 

• Like 1

Offering a higher AAV, no trade clause, and opt outs if he wanted them is pathetic? 285 million dollars is pathetic? Why can't we evaluate this negotiation on its own merits? They pulled him last year because they went all out to pay him 35m per.

This doesn't absolve them of their responsibility, either. They have to go to plans B, C, and D now and spend that money to field a competitive roster. I just don't get how this fanbase can look at an offer of 28.5m for 10 years and say "SaMe OlD tWiNs".

14 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Offering a higher AAV, no trade clause, and opt outs if he wanted them is pathetic? 285 million dollars is pathetic? Why can't we evaluate this negotiation on its own merits?

It’s pathetic because it’s just another example in a long list of examples of the Twins conveniently falling a penny shy and a dollar short. Every year we get fed the same BS. Every year the team falls short, and they feed the media and fans the details of a respectable, but not enough to get the job done, deal. It’s not bad luck at this point, it’s strategic. 

23 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I just don't get how this fanbase can look at an offer of 28.5m for 10 years and say "SaMe OlD tWiNs".

Because the Twins don’t have the good will, or faith from me, or most in this fanbase, to believe that their $285M offer was a competitive offer, or even legit. They knew his market was greater than that, and that they were never going to have to pay it. 

If the Twins go out and spend that money on a legit plan B. If they go out and actually show that they are willing to spend serious money on premium talent, then I’ll gladly eat my words. But I think we all know what’s actually going to happen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

Clearly it was being considered, as there were only two teams in the running at the end. One with more per year, one with more overall.

Or he was giving the Twins every opportunity to make a legitimate competing offer. And when $350M is on the table, $285M isn’t legitimately competing. 

12 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Or he was giving the Twins every opportunity to make a legitimate competing offer. And when $350M is on the table, $285M isn’t legitimately competing. 

Clearly we aren’t going to agree on this. 285m would have been the 8th largest contract ever. No one else was in the running. That’s not business as usual for the Twins. Logical disconnect from “13 years is absurd” to “the twins offer wasn’t competitive or legitimate”.

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

Clearly we aren’t going to agree on this. 285m would have been the 8th largest contract ever. No one else was in the running. That’s not business as usual for the Twins. Logical disconnect from “13 years is absurd” to “the twins offer wasn’t competitive or legitimate”.

That's less than Turner got. Anyone that thought that would work doesn't know the market. They weren't close.