Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

6 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Iowa returned a punt for TD with a minute or so to go. Refs says he called for a fair catch. 

It was technically the right call although it didn’t feel legitimate. I don’t think anyone on the field thought he was calling a fair catch.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

It was technically the right call although it didn’t feel legitimate. I don’t think anyone on the field thought he was calling a fair catch.

I've heard conflicting comments on post game shows about it being right. It sure didn't look like one to me on any replay.

Just now, PrplChilPill said:

I've heard conflicting comments on post game shows about it being right. It sure didn't look like one to me on any replay.

My impression is that you just can’t waive your hand like that. I mean they only called it on review, so they had time to think about it.

2 hours ago, Worm Guts said:

My impression is that you just can’t waive your hand like that. I mean they only called it on review, so they had time to think about it.

Correct. The "get away"  hand signal makes it an invalid fair catch call. It is a dead ball from the moment it is touched once the get away hand signal is made. So he couldnt advance it once he picked up the ball. It was 100% the correct call by the letter of the rule.

But regardless of the call, Fleck needs to go. Great team leader, great culture builder, good recruiter. Horrible on field coach/manager.

• Like 1

The Gophers are stuck in college football purgatory. They had the right idea in hiring Fleck: catching an up and coming coach and hoping that his best was yet to come. Unfortunately, Fleck has peaked. His ceiling is now mediocrity with a promising season every 4-5 years that will keep his job. 

Time to fire him and look for the next up and comer. 

23 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

The Gophers are stuck in college football purgatory. They had the right idea in hiring Fleck: catching an up and coming coach and hoping that his best was yet to come. Unfortunately, Fleck has peaked. His ceiling is now mediocrity with a promising season every 4-5 years that will keep his job. 

Time to fire him and look for the next up and comer. 

When you haven't won at Iowa in 24 yrs, I don't care how the victory happened. 

The call was the right call, as it had nothing to do with being a supposed "fair catch" call...the rule is that the player can't wave his arms at all.  It's an illegal signal since it would give the returner an unfair advantage because the defense may let up thinking it's a fair catch signal.

However, the special teams coach does need to get fired, as his special teams have always been awful and hasn't improved in the 7 years he's been there. 

If you believe the Gophers are stuck in college football mediocrity, then you haven't looked at Kirk Ferentz' records at Iowa. Yes, they won the division last year, but they are the epitome of mediocrity.  Fleck as many 9+ win seasons in the last 4 years as Ferentz has in 7.    I bet, in most seasons, you can guarantee that Iowa is going to go 7-6 or 8-5. 

I personally think we need to lower expectations for the university.  Getting 8-9 win seasons in most years should be fine.  I never expected this team to win that this year, because this is actually the first season with a new QB during his entire tenure.  It's going to get more difficult with UW, Oregon, USC and UCLA joining next year, but I'm fine with that.  He's not a perfect coach...and he makes some questionable game-day decisions, but I'm not sure there's an upgrade to be had out there. 

When Glen Mason was let go, I think he had peaked and it was the right time for him to go.  I don't think we've reached that point with PJ yet.  As ugly as it might be at times, he has the best winning percentage of any Gophers' HC since Bernie Bierman.  I don't think that can be dismissed. 

Edited by swede700

Well, expect to see me back around these parts a little more!

I've officially retired from being head coach of the Vixen, turned things over to my successor and will have a stupid amount of free time from October through July that had been devoted to gameplanning, playbook development, player development, and team culture development.  What better use of time than shouting into a void!

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, RpMc said:

I've officially retired from being head coach of the Vixen, turned things over to my successor and will have a stupid amount of free time from October through July that had been devoted to gameplanning, playbook development, player development, and team culture development.  What better use of time than shouting into a void!

Glad to see you back! Congrats on running a great program, coach.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, RpMc said:

It’ll be great to have you back