Ravens CB Marlon Humphrey arrested for robbery

bucsfan333

21 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

You don't get charged or convicted with Robbery for stealing a $10 phone charger, what are you on about? lol

Sure you do, it's as much about the manner that you took it than the item you took. If he would have shoplifted it, it would be theft, ho hum no one cares. If you walk into a convenient store and show a gun and demand a pack off cigarettes, worth less than the charger, that is armed robbery and you get a lengthy sentence even though it was just a $6 item. If you use force to take a phone charger that is also robbery and the minimum sentence for that behavior with a conviction in Alabama is 1 year, so it is looked upon as a serious crime because that type of crime can have serious consequences, much like armed robbery.

1 minute ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I imagine there's two lines of thinking to this. Maybe the guy knew who Humphrey was and wanted to target him, i.e. civil suit. Alternatively, if the reports are true and Humphrey legit bullied and "assaulted" the dude into giving him his charger, then I can see how the best way of getting back at him would be by sicking the cops on him and dragging his name through the public. I mean, maybe if this was a regular joe we were talking about the uber driver could have just stepped outside and settled this with good ole fisticuffs. However, this is a 6'1 ~200lb professional athlete we're talking about here, no need to add have manslaughter added onto the robbery charge.

Just get the guy banned from uber for acting a fool.  That's punishment enough.  Calling the cops though? 

2 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I imagine there's two lines of thinking to this. Maybe the guy knew who Humphrey was and wanted to target him, i.e. civil suit. Alternatively, if the reports are true and Humphrey legit bullied and "assaulted" the dude into giving him his charger, then I can see how the best way of getting back at him would be by sicking the cops on him and dragging his name through the public. I mean, maybe if this was a regular joe we were talking about the uber driver could have just stepped outside and settled this with good ole fisticuffs. However, this is a 6'1 ~200lb professional athlete we're talking about here, no need to add have manslaughter added onto the robbery charge.

Yeah I don't know what you could really get from a civil case. He claimed he wasn't injured in the elbowing incident and it was a $15 charger. No way is he getting rich, or really probably profiting at all from any of this in any scenario that I can think of. He had item(s) stolen from him, tried to get them back and was mildly assaulted and threatened with violence according to reports. You either settle it yourself like you said, which depending on how drunk he was may have given you a chance depending on your fighting talent or maybe that was never an option for you and you do what is the right thing and have trained professionals sort it out.

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

He will plead guilty, get a fine and a few hours of community service.  

He will plead guilty to something, but not robbery, that is a minimum 1 year sentence.

If everyone wanted to a d-bags about it then no, he is probably serving his year. His actions that night make you want to think he deserves it but it was probably out of character for him and I'd hate to see a terrible moment have that kind of consequences. That said, it's all on him no matter what the punishment ends up, he took something belonging to someone else through an act of force, it happens in grade school with lunch money but in the real world that stuff don't fly and you will learn that real quick in a case like this.

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Just get the guy banned from uber for acting a fool.  That's punishment enough.  Calling the cops though? 

Joking aside, I can understand calling the cops, but pressing charges is a little overboard. Meaning, I can totally understand someone much bigger/intimidating than you stealing something (anything) from you and you contacting the authorities to report it. But in this type of situation, you figure all parties (driver, Humphrey, and the cops) could have just talked this out and settled the situation amicably, with Humphrey returning the charger and apologizing, without all the extra noise.

1 minute ago, Thomas5737 said:

He will plead guilty to something, but not robbery, that is a minimum 1 year sentence.

If everyone wanted to a d-bags about it then no, he is probably serving his year. His actions that night make you want to think he deserves it but it was probably out of character for him and I'd hate to see a terrible moment have that kind of consequences. That said, it's all on him no matter what the punishment ends up, he took something belonging to someone else through an act of force, it happens in grade school with lunch money but in the real world that stuff don't fly and you will learn that real quick in a case like this.

That isn't how the real world works.  He will sign a plea deal to plead guilty for a lesser charge, he'll get a slap on the wrist and move on.  No one wants to waste time on this in court.  

Just now, RavensTillIDie said:

Joking aside, I can understand calling the cops, but pressing charges is a little overboard. Meaning, I can totally understand someone much bigger/intimidating than you stealing something (anything) from you and you contacting the authorities to report it. But in this type of situation, you figure all parties (driver, Humphrey, and the cops) could have just talked this out and settled the situation amicably, with Humphrey returning the charger and apologizing, without all the extra noise.

I'd almost guarantee there was a better option available and it was on Humphrey that it didn't occur. I'm not sure someone can have a robbery charge removed, it's possible but doesn't seem likely.

Just now, MKnight82 said:

That isn't how the real world works.  He will sign a plea deal to plead guilty for a lesser charge, he'll get a slap on the wrist and move on.  No one wants to waste time on this in court.  

I'm sure you are right but that isn't the only possible outcome. 99% chance that is what happens. He did put himself in position to have the 1% happen which is 1-10 years in prison.

Don't rob people. It's dangerous. Also, it's a prison sentence if convicted.

2 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Ya for real.  This is an absolute waste of everyone's time involved.  The courts/cops could be out doing actual important things.  

Also, besides the fact that I wouldn't call the cops on someone over something so trivial anyways, who's gonna call the cops, wait there till they show up, talk to them, wait for the arrest to happen, take the time to make a statement (all at 3:30 am and later no less), and then possibly have to go to court to testify over a $15 charger?  

37 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Ya for real.  This is an absolute waste of everyone's time involved.  The courts/cops could be out doing actual important things.  

Also, besides the fact that I wouldn't call the cops on someone over something so trivial anyways, who's gonna call the cops, wait there till they show up, talk to them, wait for the arrest to happen, take the time to make a statement (all at 3:30 am and later no less), and then possibly have to go to court to testify over a $15 charger?  

He probably didn't even buy the charger. I have tons of cables and chargers and probably only paid for half of them.

44 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Someone who has been physically intimidated and is very pissed off.

Archived