Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

Harry hanging with Leary...

When Harrison Smith stepped into the burning building, the lack of visibility caught him off guard.

He carefully maneuvered his way through different rooms, sticking close to the rest of his team as smoke billowed all around the group.

But fortunately, Smith was not in a real emergency situation. Rather, the Vikings safety was participating in the 3rd Annual Firefighters Challenge, hosted by actor and producer Denis Leary.

https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-harrison-smith-denis-leary-fdny-unique-perspective?sf213549332=1

• Like 1

I saw this last night on Twitter...I'm so happy for Warren.  It's certainly an out of the box hire, because I'm not sure anyone could have possibly anticipated it, but he's a good man and he's a smart man, and has been a lot of the force behind the direction of the Vikings organization as a whole.  

Kevin Warren, the COO of the Minnesota Vikings and the highest-ranking NFL team executive, will be taking a new job soon.

As first reported by WSCR’s Mully & Haugh show, Warren will become the Commissioner of the Big 10 Conference.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/03/report-kevin-warren-to-become-big-10-commissioner/

I've read several rumours that The Vikings will try to trade for The Redskins' Trent Williams, who has refused to report to Camp, saying that he wants to be traded, and the problem is more than his contract.   IF The Redskins were to accept a trade for Kyle Rudolph, plus, is that realistic, and if possible, could The Vikings fit his fat contract under the cap?

Edited by Robb_K

11 hours ago, Robb_K said:

I've read several rumours that The Vikings will try to trade for The Redskins' Trent Williams, who has refused to report to Camp, saying that he wants to be traded, and the problem is more than his contract.   IF The Redskins were to accept a trade for Kyle Rudolph, plus, is that realistic, and if possible, could The Vikings for his fat contract under the cap?

Some of their fans have said they have no depth behind him and would likely need an LT at the least in a trade. So we’d have to package Reiff and Rudolph. They both have big contracts, but I don’t know if that actually gives us any space. Trent supposedly has a large contract.

Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that both sides are willing to explore a contract that would supplant the final year of Stephen Weatherly’s seventh-round rookie deal. The 2016 draft pick is due to make $720,000 this season.

Weatherly:  “If that’s what they want, by all means I’ll be down for an extension. If they think I’m good enough to keep around, then that would be amazing. I was drafted in the seventh round and worked my way up. That would be a pretty good story to tell my kids one day.”

Zimmer:  “The thing that Stephen, when he played last year, was he made a lot of plays.  He’s improved in a lot of areas. I anticipate that he’ll have a much larger role for us this year as we continue to go forward. He continues to get better. You can just see he’s much more confident in everything he’s doing.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/09/vikings-considering-an-extension-for-stephen-weatherly/

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Duluther said:

Some of their fans have said they have no depth behind him and would likely need an LT at the least in a trade. So we’d have to package Reiff and Rudolph. They both have big contracts, but I don’t know if that actually gives us any space. Trent supposedly has a large contract.

I'd be more than happy with that. Ideally Reiff and a pick.

Maybe Brz can restructure Willams' contract to make it fit.

Lock down LT for the next 5 years(and one who protected Kirk during his time with the Skins) with one of the best in the game for Reiff and a pick? Yuuup.

We'd go from one of the worst lines in the league to maybe a slightly above average line to maybe one of the top lines in the league in about 2 months.

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Duluther said:

Sending BOTH Reiff AND Rudolph should clear enough space, as The Vikings' TE starter would be on a rookie contract, and both Reiff's and Rudolph's contracts add up to enough more than Williams' to probably cover who The Vikings would add.  Unfortunately, The Redskins just traded for a tight end.  I really hope The Vikings can grab Williams, but I wonder if he would be willing to restructure his contract to get LESS this season, after holding out from his current contract (implying that he wants MORE money).  Maybe he IS just angry over poor quality medical treatment by The Redskins.  IF so, he might be amenable to a restructuring with less money now, and more in the future.  I'd be glad for The Vikes to get him either for the overpriced Reiff and a draft choice, OR Reiff and Rudolph.

• Like 1

Here are the details of his contract:

"Trent Williams signed a 5 year, $68,000,000 contract with the Washington Redskins, including a $8,100,000 signing bonus, $41,250,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $13,600,000. In 2019, Williams will earn a base salary of $11,000,000 and a roster bonus of $203,125, while carrying a cap hit of $14,729,005 and a dead cap value of $5,511,760."

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/trent-williams-6513/

...and for comparison:

"Riley Reiff signed a 5 year, $58,750,000 contract with the Minnesota Vikings, including a $11,000,000 signing bonus, $26,300,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $11,750,000. In 2019, Reiff will earn a base salary of $9,400,000 and a workout bonus of $100,000, while carrying a cap hit of $11,700,000 and a dead cap value of $6,600,000."

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/riley-reiff-9833/

"Kyle Rudolph signed a 5 year, $36,500,000 contract with the Minnesota Vikings, including a $6,500,000 signing bonus, $18,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $7,300,000. In 2019, Rudolph will earn a base salary of $7,275,000, a roster bonus of $250,000 and a workout bonus of $100,000, while carrying a cap hit of $7,625,000."

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/kyle-rudolph-7762/

1 hour ago, Robb_K said:

Sending BOTH Reiff AND Rudolph should clear enough space, as The Vikings' TE starter would be on a rookie contract, and both Reiff's and Rudolph's contracts add up to enough more than Williams' to probably cover who The Vikings would add.  Unfortunately, The Redskins just traded for a tight end.  I really hope The Vikings can grab Williams, but I wonder if he would be willing to restructure his contract to get LESS this season, after holding out from his current contract (implying that he wants MORE money).  Maybe he IS just angry over poor quality medical treatment by The Redskins.  IF so, he might be amenable to a restructuring with less money now, and more in the future.  I'd be glad for The Vikes to get him either for the overpriced Reiff and a draft choice, OR Reiff and Rudolph.

It's hard to say if he'd restructure but he would be going from a franchise that's ran like a joke to a franchise that's, by all accounts, one of the best to play for (never any drama/holdouts/scandal/drama) with top-tier facilities and going to an instant contender with a QB he protected for years.

At least there's incentive to restructure here.

1 hour ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

It's hard to say if he'd restructure but he would be going from a franchise that's ran like a joke to a franchise that's, by all accounts, one of the best to play for (never any drama/holdouts/scandal/drama) with top-tier facilities and going to an instant contender with a QB he protected for years.

At least there's incentive to restructure here.

So, Rudolph's and Reiff's 2019 Cap Hits added together make Williams' total.  So, it could be a perfect trade.  If The Redskins don't want Rudolph, Reiff plus a draft choice would require a contract restructuring for Williams, which he should want, IF he really wants to leave Washington (which, I believe, he DOES).

Although I believe that The Vikings want to keep Rudolph for one more year, I'm sure they'd give him up a year early, to get Williams.