Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

I wouldn't mind the Vikings trying to swing a trade to get Rosen as a developmental QB at some point. Especially if he's going to come at a discounted price.

*Of course a lot depends on how Cousins performs this year.

A QB being traded to a third team in a span of 3-4 years doesn't speak well. If AZ and Miami passes, despite both having the need for a franchise QB, that should say something. At some point, it's the player and not the circumstance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

A QB being traded to a third team in a span of 3-4 years doesn't speak well. If AZ and Miami passes, despite both having the need for a franchise QB, that should say something. At some point, it's the player and not the circumstance.

I think Rosen has experienced extreme circumstances, something we've never seen before. 

AZ has their franchise QB, under a new HC, they didn't need Rosen. Hard to tell what Miami is doing. Trading for Rosen, in hindsight, seems pretty pointless given the moves they've made of late.

30 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I think Rosen has experienced extreme circumstances, something we've never seen before. 

AZ has their franchise QB, under a new HC, they didn't need Rosen. Hard to tell what Miami is doing. Trading for Rosen, in hindsight, seems pretty pointless given the moves they've made of late.

Quinn had similar circumstances/challenges.  Stuck behind Charlie Frye and Derek Anderson his rookie year (Rosen was initially behind Bradford and Glennon)...his 2nd year still behind Anderson (who had a good year the year before) and then a new coach (Mangini) came in and didn't really want Quinn, eventually trading him after that year to Denver, then ended up backing up Orton...only for the next year for Denver to draft Tebow.

Edited by swede700

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

Quinn had similar circumstances/challenges.  Stuck behind Charlie Frye and Derek Anderson his rookie year (Rosen was initially behind Bradford and Glennon)...his 2nd year still behind Anderson (who had a good year the year before) and then a new coach (Mangini) came in and didn't really want Quinn, eventually trading him after that year to Denver, then ended up backing up Orton...only for the next year for Denver to draft Tebow.

Sorry...something that rarely happens.

15 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

If they are already selling out and not starting him, it’s hard to believe they have much faith in him.

On the contrary, it's because they have faith in Rosen to be their QB of the future that they want to limit his snaps in a season that's sure to be a disaster, on the offensive line and no doubt elsewhere.

Just checked the Vikings' final roster. NOT HAPPY that we cut Sloter. It was a bad move for him and us; he goes to a horrible team in Arizona and we are left with only one backup in Mannion. What is Zimmer thinking keeping only two QBs in 2019? Somebody help me out here.

I'm surprised we kept both Morgan and Ham; although I like both of them they didn't contribute a heck of a lot last year. I'm glad we still have Herc and Kearse, and Blasingame made the PS at least. Vedvik as we know is gone, along with the pick we traded for him. What a waste. No more Treadwell, thank Odin. I've never even heard of Mark Fields. And I have no earthly idea why Kentrell Brothers is still on this team.

Edited by y*so*blu

1 minute ago, y*so*blu said:

On the contrary, it's because they have faith in Rosen to be their QB of the future that they want to limit his snaps in a season that's sure to be a disaster, on the offensive line and no doubt elsewhere.

Just checked the Vikings' final roster. NOT HAPPY that we cut Sloter. It was a bad move for him and us; he goes to a horrible team in Arizona and we are left with only one backup in Mannion. What is Zimmer thinking keeping only two QBs in 2019? Somebody help me out here.

I'm surprised we kept both Morgan and Ham; although I like both of them they didn't contribute a heck of a lot last year. I'm glad we still have Herc and Kearse. Glad Blasingame made the PS at least. Vedvik as we know is gone, along with the pick we traded for him. What a waste. No more Treadwell, thank Odin. I've never even heard of Mark Fields. And I have no earthly idea why Kentrell Brothers is still on this team.

Sloter - I'm still not really sure why people end up caring that much about a guy who's never taken a regular season snap.

2 QBs - Cousins has a durability streak we haven't seen since Favre.

Mark Fields - Son of a decent Saints/Panthers LB in the mid-90s/early 2000s

Kentrell Brothers - One of the best special teamers.

26 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Sloter - I'm still not really sure why people end up caring that much about a guy who's never taken a regular season snap.

Because they're convinced a 4th year UDFA QB who's never taken a snap in a meaningful game and is on his 3rd team within those 4 years is some how the next starting QB or at minimum, a Jacoby Brissett level backup.

Don't worry, Sloter will be forgotten soon and then they'll have a love fest over Jake Browning and think he's the QBOTF

35 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

What is Zimmer thinking keeping only two QBs in 2019? Somebody help me out here.

Because Kirk is never hurt and if you're down to Mannion long-term, your season is screwed anyways so may as well sign some dude off the street if the time comes and keep the roster spot for another position.

Carrying 3 QBs died when they got rid of the emergency QB rule.

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228

I am disappointing that Sloter wasn't able to win the backup QB job as much as anyone, but I have thought ever since the start of the offseason that if Sloter didn't win the backup job this year they should cut him. He didn't win that job and with that I still feel that cutting him was the right thing to do. I am not much of a Mannion fan so I hope the team brings in a couple new QBs next year to try and develop.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

So the idea is to hope and pray Cousins stays as durable as he has been, because the only guy we've got behind him is the one who showed very little in preseason, and the guy who showed a lot in the preseason is the one we got rid of.

Again, the only thing Sloter showed is that he can dominate 3rd and 4th stringers, while Mannion was going up against 2nd stringers.  I'm not a fan of Mannion, but we have to stop over-inflating what Sloter did.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

So the idea is to hope and pray Cousins stays as durable as he has been, because the only guy we've got behind him is the one who showed very little in preseason, and the guy who showed a lot in the preseason is the one we got rid of.

Yeah, I agree. We got rid of someone who completed 85% of passes against third-stringers in the first three weeks of preseason.....those are future HOF numbers and easily replicable.