Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

just don't think they go 10 OL

Given how many young guys they’ve got, I don’t see why they wouldn’t keep 10. 

Developmentally speaking, we don’t have a lot of young, developmental type players at many other positions. Certainly not guy that you probably couldn’t get to the practice squad. 

Given the premium on OL I’d rather see the team protect an extra lineman on the 53 man roster than an extra DL, LB, DB, or TE. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Developmentally speaking, we don’t have a lot of young, developmental type players at many other positions. Certainly not guy that you probably couldn’t get to the practice squad. 

Given the premium on OL I’d rather see the team protect an extra lineman on the 53 man roster than an extra DL, LB, DB, or TE. 

Only problem with that is ol arent as special teams friendly, but if they feel confidently covered i am fine with 10 oline to keep youger players...we've been killed by injuries to the oline recently. 

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I understand keeping young guys to develop. But there's also a need to having OL who can step in and play. That's why I'm fine letting Jones go for a young OL given Elflein's flexibility. Having Hill and Dozier as the top game day reserves would be a decent setup. Samia doesn't offer positional flexibility so it may be hard for him to be active, barring injuries. 

Dont really know how to feel about Isidora and it might be hard to keep two developmental Tackles in Udoh and Norton at the expense of ST and depth elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

They won't get 10 because the HC is a defensive guy..and he isn't going to sacrifice a 25th or 26th defensive player for an offensive lineman.  I only have the Vikings keeping 9 offensive linemen for that fact alone.

Edited by swede700

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

I understand keeping young guys to develop. But there's also a need to having OL who can step in and play. That's why I'm fine letting Jones go for a young OL given Elflein's flexibility. Having Hill and Dozier as the top game day reserves would be a decent setup. Samia doesn't offer positional flexibility so it may be hard for him to be active, barring injuries. 

Dont really know how to feel about Isidora and it might be hard to keep two developmental Tackles in Udoh and Norton at the expense of ST and depth elsewhere. 

Right now I would assume on the final roster Hill and Dozier are the backups at tackle while Jones and Samia are the backups for the interior.

29 minutes ago, solidvikingfan said:

Right now I would assume on the final roster Hill and Dozier are the backups at tackle while Jones and Samia are the backups for the interior.

I think that's pretty likely for the top 9. I don't see how they could release Samia and the other 3 are pretty necessary depth. 

But I really hope they don't lose Udoh to waivers if they try to get him to the PS. 

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

They won't get 10 because the HC is a defensive guy..and he isn't going to sacrifice a 25th or 26th defensive player for an offensive lineman.  I only have the Vikings keeping 9 offensive linemen for that fact alone.

Who’s stepped up on defense to be those guys?  

The 25th/26th guy on offense, or defense, is going to be inactive anyways. So you may as well keep the young players who’ve shown the most upside. And for me, that includes Samia and Udoh. There really hasn’t been a developmental defensive player who’s stood out, yet. 

14 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Who’s stepped up on defense to be those guys?  

The 25th/26th guy on offense, or defense, is going to be inactive anyways. So you may as well keep the young players who’ve shown the most upside. And for me, that includes Samia and Udoh. There really hasn’t been a developmental defensive player who’s stood out, yet. 

I'm basing it off history.  I didn't think they'd keep Devante Downs a season ago, because he hadn't done much, if anything, in the preseason...yet they kept him over Colby Gossett, who ended up getting snatched by the Cardinals off the PS.  There's going to be a defensive guy that they're going to keep over a 10th offensive linemen.  That's just how they've managed it.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

Downs showed a good deal on special teams last year, as he was basically Brothers’ replacement during his suspension. Plus, Gossett didn’t show much. I think many are still surprised that Arizona claimed him  

But now we’ve got young guys on the o-line who are standing out, while I really can’t say much for the defense. 

9 DL, 5 LB, 6 CB, 4 S 

I haven’t seen a player to add to any of those positions who’s out played the 10th o-lineman. 

6 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I don't recall the Vikes carrying only 5 Lbs. I think 6 is a given. Especially with only 4 Safeties. I think the LBs will be Barr, Kendricks, Gedeon, Smith, Wilson, Downs.

I could see Brothers being kept and try move Smith to the PS.  Perhaps they might keep five since they spend so much time in nickel and Kearse can play LB/S?

8 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I don't recall the Vikes carrying only 5 Lbs. I think 6 is a given. Especially with only 4 Safeties. I think the LBs will be Barr, Kendricks, Gedeon, Smith, Wilson, Downs.

The Vikings carried 5 LBs for the first 4 games of the season, while Brothers was suspended. After Brothers’ suspension at least one LB was inactive on game day, so the team only carried 5 LBs during for the game each week. 

• Like 1

The Vikings want to bring the Super Bowl back to Minnesota.

Vikings executive vice president of public affairs Lester Bagley said on Thursday that the team submitted an “expression of interest” to the NFL about hosting another Super Bowl earlier this month. U.S. Bank Stadium was the site of Super Bowl LII in 2018 and Super Bowl XXVI was played at the Metrodome in 1992.

The team is shooting for the game after the 2028, 2029 or 2030 season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/22/vikings-want-to-host-another-super-bowl-and-bring-draft-to-minnesota/

• Like 1