Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

On 8/11/2019 at 9:40 PM, SteelKing728 said:

Losing a 5

Its not a big loss. We'll likely get 4 compensatory picks this year anyways.

I like the move. Now just trade Treadwell!

I don't know how likely it is the Vikings get all 4 compensatory picks they are currently eligible for. We saw last year how a team can keep a player into the season and then cut him before he counts as a qualifying gain/loss in the compensatory formula.

However, Andrew Sendejo just got a little closer to sticking with the Eagles. They cut, Blake Countess, one of the other safeties they signed this year.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/13/eagles-waive-blake-countess-with-injury-settlement/

As far as trading Treadwell, it would be great if that happened but I wouldn't give up too much to get a team to take him. I would have given a bit more last year but by now there is not much guaranteed salary left so it might be better to simply cut him and soak the guaranteed salary rather than give much up to trade him away. Depending on how tight the team is against the cap perhaps they would consider giving up a future 7th round pick. But I doubt it. Teams do not often give up picks to give themselves cap relief. The Brock Osweiller trade was a rarity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Sounds about right...although his stat isn't quite accurate, as the #15 team in winning percentage is the Cleveland Browns, who haven't even appeared in the Super Bowl.  And despite them both having Super Bowl titles, I'm much happier being a Vikings fan than I would being a fan of the Jets or the Buccaneers.  

Edited by swede700

3 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

https://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2019-minnesota-vikings-1837166258

This article feels so familiar to me!  Wonder why???

This is probably the best line in it along with some others, and I totally agree with his take on Barr being misused at times.  And the second stat is just sad man, 15 out of 16 and the Vikings are the one that has not one it all.  

"Bradbury’s promise is already undermined by the fact that his taint appears to be the source of the River Nile:  Great. My team’s quarterback fumbles like Jesus told him to, and now the ball will be coated in a gallon of liquefied, unpasteurized fromunda cheese on every down."

"Time for me to point out that the Vikings have the sixth highest all-time winning percentage of any NFL team. Fifteen of the top 16 teams on that particular list have won the Super Bowl. Guess which one hasn’t?"

"Head coach Mike Zimmer’s vaunted Double-A gap blitz defense got so fully exposed by Jared Goff and the Rams that Zimmer had to essentially re-engineer his own defensive philosophy so that LB Anthony Barr wouldn’t end up having to cover a wideout 60 yards downfield later in the season. "

PS it is a lot more funny hearing Nick on 93x read these though ;o)

9 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

PS it is a lot more funny hearing Nick on 93x read these though ;o

I used to be a huge fan of the HAMS but I just can't get into it anymore. I think I grew out of it, growing out of the Powertrip too. Maybe morning radio just isn't for me anymore.

Somewhat related but if it ever comes out that radio commercials are the leading cause of cancer, I won't be surprised. I'm looking at you Kars4Kids. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

https://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2019-minnesota-vikings-1837166258

This article feels so familiar to me!  Wonder why???

It's always the same thing every year but still manages to perfectly express how I feel about this team each fall. 2017 article was my favorite iteration.

Looking back at it

1. Neither Bradford nor Teddy Bridgewater will do anything this season to make that decision academic.
  2. The Vikings will choose the wrong guy.

I guess the jury is still out on if they signed the wrong guy or not but so far I think not signing Bradford or Teddy was the right decision.

16 hours ago, solidvikingfan said:

That's certainly going to help him get on the field and hurts David Morgan roster status even beyond his injury and the other young TEs who can practice.

David Morgan is almost an interesting IR candidate. Stashing him on there with a designated to return in case of injury could be a good play. Worst case after so many weeks is you cut him after.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

David Morgan is almost an interesting IR candidate. Stashing him on there with a designated to return in case of injury could be a good play. Worst case after so many weeks is you cut him after.

I think they’d have to use a roster spot for Morgan on cutdown day to have him designated for return from IR. 

They might just release him instead, and keep one of Hikutini and Dillon as TE4. 

Morgan didn’t play well last year (limited by injuries), he hasn’t been able to get healthy this off season, and he’s almost certainly going to be gone in 2020. If they’re hardly going to be able to use him this year anyway, they’d be better off keeping a rookie who can stay with the team longer term and develop, especially since they may need to release Rudolph in 2020 or 2021. 

• Like 1

One of the issues I’m seeing with keeping Morgan over someone else is that he basically tips your hand. 

Morgan is first, and foremost, a blocker. He’s not a threat in the passing game other than maybe catching a dump off after the play breaks down. 

With Rudolph, Smith, and Conklin better in the passing game, by putting Morgan out on the field he may as well carry a sign that says “it’s a run”.

40 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

One of the issues I’m seeing with keeping Morgan over someone else is that he basically tips your hand. 

Morgan is first, and foremost, a blocker. He’s not a threat in the passing game other than maybe catching a dump off after the play breaks down. 

With Rudolph, Smith, and Conklin better in the passing game, by putting Morgan out on the field he may as well carry a sign that says “it’s a run”.

Or put him in on pass plays too. Pass plays need blockers as well. In a two TE set it is common to have one TE that excels at receiving and the other the excels at blocking even on pass plays. Even if they pass it just 40% of the time when Morgan is in on a 2 TE set it is enough to keep the other team off balance with it.