Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

Top 100 players in the NFL 2019 voted on by the players presented by NFL Network.

#33 Adam Thielen
#57 Danielle Hunter
#73 Stefon Diggs
#78 Kirk Cousins
#83 Harrison Smith

Pretty cool Thielen is so high and I agree with Cousins being that low.  For 2019 it is 17 of the top 25 highest paid players in the NFL are QBs.  Cousins is #6 on the highest paid list so I guess that makes it a little better and everyone over pays for freaking QBs.  Still he better ball out this year and improve off what he showed last season in terms of getting wins and being a leader.  Anthony Barr not being on it is a surprise but he did have a poor season last year, and Xavier Rhodes but again was injured and did not have a great year.  Honestly wish they would of had the coaches vote on this combined with the players votes.   

Only real question would be Phillip Lindsay at #68, I mean he was good as a rookie but I doubt he can continue and improve off the stats he got as a rookie when no one thought could do anything as a UDFA.  To be ranked as a top 100 players for him I question but the rest make sense.  Chargers and Rams have 6 players on the list, Vikings having 5 is cool, I believe 6 is the high for any team.  

So the players ranked Cousins as the league’s 13th top QB. And I think that’s about right.

They ranked Thielen and Diggs as the league’s 7th and 16th top WRs, respectively. 

Danielle Hunter was ranked the 11th edge rusher (9th DE)

Smith came in as the 4th safety. 

I would say say they were all pretty fairly ranked. 

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

So the players ranked Cousins as the league’s 13th top QB. And I think that’s about right.

They ranked Thielen and Diggs as the league’s 7th and 16th top WRs, respectively. 

Danielle Hunter was ranked the 11th edge rusher (9th DE)

Smith came in as the 4th safety. 

I would say say they were all pretty fairly ranked. 

Thielen and Smith seem about right. Hunter might be a tad low but he's still young, and should continue to build his reputation around the league. I'm a bit surprised of the gap between Diggs and Thielen.

Im surprised with Cousins making the top 100. Maybe there are too many Qbs on the list. The 13th best Qb puts him near the average cluster, which does seem right. Still, almost half the leagues starting QBs are in the top 100, seems off to me. But that might just be the era we live in.

Edited by vikingsrule

I'm not surprised by the Thielen/Diggs gap.

People remember highlights. Especially players, who don't take the time to watch every player in every game. So when Thielen sets an NFL record for 100-yard games to start a season, that sticks in people's minds.

Plus, it's not all that different from where the players had them the previous year (36 and 65). Gap is a little wider, but not much.

Edited by Klomp

2 hours ago, Klomp said:

I'm not surprised by the Thielen/Diggs gap.

People remember highlights. Especially players, who don't take the time to watch every player in every game. So when Thielen sets an NFL record for 100-yard games to start a season, that sticks in people's minds.

Plus, it's not all that different from where the players had them the previous year (36 and 65). Gap is a little wider, but not much.

Hopefully, Diggs will play with a big chip on his shoulder from being underappreciated by his peers!!

8 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Harrison Smith is ranked as a top 15 player if he plays in Dallas, NE, or Pittsburgh. 

True, considering how he can do basically everything and does.  Play around the line, go after the QB, drop back deep in coverage, tackle in space.  He is all over the place, wish we had a better safety opposite him so he would not have to do so much, that defense would be amazing with a more quality 2nd safety.  Sendejo was ok but nothing great and Harris is not even as good as Sendejo honestly.  Was super excited when Iloka came on but now he is in Dallas.  Would love to see Kearse play better also obviously.  

Is it just me or is Eddie Jackson not worth being 30th overall on this list?  The kid is good and is in the right place to get TDs and has scored TDs because of his return skills after the catch.  Good player no doubt but he is not an amazing tackler and no way would I say he is some Ed Reed, Earl Thomas or Troy Polamalu type but some think of him as being that great.  Maybe he will be but yeah Harrison is way more versatile than Eddie Jackson is no question.  Eddie has been great early in his career but has only been in two years, there is something important called consistency over a long period of time.  

• Like 1

Watching the Hall of Fame speeches this year something stood out to me in terms of championships and your currently Vikings roster.

Where is the bravado, inspiring and brash confidence going to come from?  Where are the players who have passion and make other teammates believe they can win?  We are spoiled with Chis Carter back in the day and John Randle in terms of passionate intense football players that loved the game and had confidence to back up their level of play.  Or Randy Moss who just being on the field and being so physically elite created confidence in those around him.  And pathetically the closest we have got to the Super Bowl recently in terms of belief was when freaking Brett Favre was on the team and since he won one, players had more belief than normal because he was the QB and or leader.

We clearly have no championship pedigree in terms of players I feel who have done it.  Rich Dennison has won so Super Bowls on the Broncos so that is maybe something but he is not on the field.  So where is the brash confidence going to come from? Honestly none of the Vikings are outwardly cocky or loud to be honest.  Sure Diggs chirps, Cousins has screamed when on TV after a game in Washington once or twice but not sure either one has great swagger or leadership when times get tough.

Is that absolutely needed to win a title?  Sure maybe not but there is a reason why Ed Reed won titles as a player and Ty Law, their swagger lighted the mood and instilled confidence in their teammates.  Would love if the Vikings had more guys like that.  On defense they got some ballers no doubt but none are the type and offensively especially none are the type.  Thielen could maybe grow into the roll and same with Harrison Smith.  But honestly none are crazy vocal leaders but maybe that is just my take.  

Zimmer is the identity and leader of the team mentally I feel, but sure helps when that is coming from the players not the head coach.  Yeah Patriots win with Bill but Tom Brady and his passion and work ethic is the connection to the players of Bill's thought process.   Also take the Eagles they had crazy confidence coming from Chris Long, Lane Johnson, Malcolm Jenkins, Fletcher Cox and rally around Nick Foles.   The Vikings need that as well if they want to become winners and believe they can accomplish high goals outside of just getting to the Playoffs and win a few games.