Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

6 hours ago, viking said:

I'm really not sure why Vikings fans are so content with Thielen and Osborn. I think it's the homer shades because they really aren't a great WR2 / WR3. Both WRs have declined from last year.

Is that really on them or a product of the offense? Here is the target share:

JJ18 - 71 targets (52 catches, 73.2%)
AT19 - 50 targets (35 catches, 73.2%)
KJ17 - 31 targets (21 catches, 67.7%)

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/reports/targets-distribution/wr.php?year=2022&start=1&end=8&show=totals

AT19 ranks 10th in WR2 targets and KJ17 ranks 6th in WR3 targets per the link above (this does not include TEs). I'd really like to know what the hang up is with Reagor not picking up the offense. Does anyone know how many snaps we've had 10 personnel (4WR) on the field?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VikeManDan said:

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/reports/targets-distribution/wr.php?year=2022&start=1&end=8&show=totals

AT19 ranks 10th in WR2 targets and KJ17 ranks 6th in WR3 targets per the link above (this does not include TEs). I'd really like to know what the hang up is with Reagor not picking up the offense. Does anyone know how many snaps we've had 10 personnel (4WR) on the field?

I don't think it's Reagor not picking up the offense. He's just not a good Wide Receiver. He's here to return punts and run gadget plays. To expect anything more is probably pushing it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

It feels like Thielen and Osborn are almost too similar. I can see moving on from Thielen next year and targeting more of a deep threat to compliment Jefferson. But it’s not like Jefferson isn’t a deep threat himself, just doesn’t seem like the offense is really pushing that in this offense, hence why he only has 1 TD. 

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

It feels like Thielen and Osborn are almost too similar. I can see moving on from Thielen next year and targeting more of a deep threat to compliment Jefferson. But it’s not like Jefferson isn’t a deep threat himself, just doesn’t seem like the offense is really pushing that in this offense, hence why he only has 1 TD. 

I don't think JJ is a deep threat in the same way a guy like Tyreek Hill is a deep threat. He's a chain mover. A guy who works all over the field. But I don't think teams are scared of JJ, AT, or KJ beating them 60 yards downfield. Maybe if we brought in a guy like OBJ to be that chain mover, it would free up JJ for more of those big chunk routes.

18 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I don't think JJ is a deep threat in the same way a guy like Tyreek Hill is a deep threat. He's a chain mover. A guy who works all over the field. But I don't think teams are scared of JJ, AT, or KJ beating them 60 yards downfield. Maybe if we brought in a guy like OBJ to be that chain mover, it would free up JJ for more of those big chunk routes.

JJ has made a ton of big time plays 20+ yards down the field. He can do it all. I just don’t know why he’s not being put in better position to score long TDs like seasons past. Is it the offense? Kirk? Receiving significantly more attention this year? 

I think of JJ in a similar vein as I thought of Sidney Rice (although he's a light-years better version of him) in that I don't view his strength as being a down-the-field type of receiver.  While he can certainly do it, his strength is in the intermediate routes because of his elite route-running skills. 

If you want someone to be a bigger threat down the field, they would need to find a different version of WR, because that guy ain't on the roster, unless Reagor can develop into that with a full offseason in this offense, as he has the most potential to be that.