Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

5 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

The Patriots had the ultimate equalizer in Brady. That allowed them to make roster decisions like that. Name another team that has been successful in selling off star players in their prime.

Hunter is never going to see a 32m AAV contract with 120m guaranteed. That would be far and away the largest non QB contract ever. He’s a great player but no one is going to pay him that much.

The cap is fine. They are going to have like 180m in space in 2025. 

Trading away great players is a bad idea.

I'm a heckuva lot more sure my position and that Jimmy Johnson started the "trading for a haul" concept . . . Or maybe you're too young to remember being victimized by that? 😂

Hunter was underpaid on the extension he signed and then the restructure was valid based on his injury impacts to his performance.   The injury history might haunt him a bit . . . But didn't last year prove he's past those?  For Pete's sake, the DC (dumber than a 5th grader) had him dropping in coverage, and he still had what kind of a pressure rate and how many sacks?   

I am in awe of your crystal ball for the cap availability in 2025 . . . The deals in motion today are chewing that up faster than we type.  

2 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

They have no QB after this year and the 31 st ranked defense. And limited draft picks. They aren't in a rebuild? Outside JJ and the Oline, every position needs updating after this year. 

I don't think they're in a full rebuild At least not a Rams/Bears sense. They might replace their Quarterback after this season, but that doesn't mean they're rebuilding. They are set up well at every offensive position in 2024 with the exception of LG (this assumes KJ grows a little this year and Hockenson is extended). If Cook is gone, there still isn't likely to be a huge loss of production at RB, and a replacement next year can be found without investing too heavily.

The defense literally has nowhere to go but up, but if Flores is as capable as we all seem to believe he is, then the young pieces we have (Phillips, Evans, Booth, Cine, Bynum, Asamoah, Hunter) should combine with the pieces we pick up next offseason to show significant improvement. 

At that point, Quarterback is the biggest question. If they draft a QB this year, he gets to sit for a year and hit the groudn running with a fully stocked offense in 2024. If they don't, then they have enough cap space next year to do what they need to do AND bring back Cousins. 

7 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I'm a heckuva lot more sure my position and that Jimmy Johnson started the "trading for a haul" concept . . . Or maybe you're too young to remember being victimized by that? 😂

Hunter was underpaid on the extension he signed and then the restructure was valid based on his injury impacts to his performance.   The injury history might haunt him a bit . . . But didn't last year prove he's past those?  For Pete's sake, the DC (dumber than a 5th grader) had him dropping in coverage, and he still had what kind of a pressure rate and how many sacks?   

I am in awe of your crystal ball for the cap availability in 2025 . . . The deals in motion today are chewing that up faster than we type.  

No crystal ball here - just a quick google search. The cap continues to go up, the Vikings have the best cap manager in the biz, and are purposefully in a position to handle big contracts for core roster players. They currently have 180 mil+ available. That’s just factual and easy to verify with up to date contract details.

Sure of your position on what? A 30 plus year old trade in a different era of the NFL is hardly evidence of anything.

You’re trying to tell me I’m too young to remember something irrelevant that will never happen again while simultaneously throwing out contract numbers that have no basis in reality and without taking a peak at readily available information about the salary cap that you are seemingly concerned about…

Early win total projections have been released for the 2023 season by oddsmakers across the country, and once again, the Vikings have a “middle of the road” total, sitting with an over/under of 8.5.

This projection also puts the Vikings back into second-place in the NFC North, which is where they finished in three of the four seasons from 2018-21. However, there is also a new division champ according to the oddsmakers. That is the Detroit Lions, who are projected to win 9.5 games this season. Meanwhile, both the Chicago Bears and Green Bay Packers hold win totals of 7.5. If the Lions do win the NFC North, it would be their first division title since 1993.

https://purpleptsd.com/2023/vikings/top_news/purple-headlines-irv-smith-kevin-oconnell-anthony-richardson/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Kevin Seifert@SeifertESPN

The Vikings have been vague about some of their offseason acquisitions. Why? In some cases, it appears they've signed replacements for players who are still on the roster.

Everything still seems to me to be a plan that is in motion.

Strength of schedule being much harder, key losses to the roster, decline of aging veterans, 1 yard passes to your Tight End that end your season, the extreme likelihood of not repeating a 13 win season and randomness is why I think 8.5 wins sounds about right for this team.

Now all we need is the popcorn!😎

9 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Strength of schedule being much harder, key losses to the roster, decline of aging veterans, 1 yard passes to your Tight End that end your season, the extreme likelihood of not repeating a 13 win season and randomness is why I think 8.5 wins sounds about right for this team.

Now all we need is the popcorn!😎

Who is a key roster loss? They've gotten rid of aging veterans. 1 yard passes to TEs is still a bad joke/take (not sure which is which in your case).... what on earth are you talking about?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

Who is a key roster loss? They've gotten rid of aging veterans. 1 yard passes to TEs is still a bad joke/take (not sure which is which in your case).... what on earth are you talking about?

They've gotten rid of aging veterans with players who aren't proven to be any better despite being younger.  I, for one, have stated that I'm taking the under.  I just don't think they'll be able to repeat the luck and their talent base on defense isn't better...if anything, they've gotten worse.  They may prove me wrong, but I just don't see it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

They've gotten rid of aging veterans with players who aren't proven to be any better despite being younger.  I, for one, have stated that I'm taking the under.  I just don't think they'll be able to repeat the luck and their talent base on defense isn't better...if anything, they've gotten worse.  They may prove me wrong, but I just don't see it. 

It's definitely better from a coaching and schematic fit standpoint. I don't know how anyone could argue with that.

Outside of EK (who I know you wanted to retain) and Peterson (not a scheme fit), where have they downgraded with unproven players?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

It's definitely better from a coaching and schematic fit standpoint. I don't know how anyone could argue with that.

Outside of EK (who I know you wanted to retain) and Peterson (not a scheme fit), where have they downgraded with unproven players?

I'm not a fan of Davenport, and he's not proven to be a schematic fit.  Lowry, while a fine player, isn't nearly as talented as Tomlinson.  And Murphy, while likely a better fit schematically, isn't the talent that P2 is and never will be.  I can only buy the argument of Asamoah over EK, but there's no guarantee he's a better fit than EK, because he's the same player physically, but he's younger.