Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

what will the SF FO let him go for? who might be other suitors?

There seems to be some serious variations on this. I was reading an article on BR yesterday where they talked to eight executives from around the league; three said maybe a second but at least a third rounder, and the remaining 5 said a late day 3 pick would be a best case scenario with some saying they didn't know if we could even move him. It only takes one though I guess. 

I was saying earlier this off-season that I have FOMO with Lance. I could definitely see him going somewhere else and playing really well and it would be very on-brand for the Niners to pay a fortune for Trey, not play him, trade him for peanuts, then watch him turn into a star. 

I'd really like to see Trey get a chance to play, and at this point, I don't really care if it's not in SF. Our staff has made it known who they like. I really hope we can get a decent return, but I don't really know what to expect. 

Like Trey, my sister-in-law is also from Marshall and she's a Vikings fan, So it'd be kind of cool to see Trey go home and do well in Minnesota (just not well enough to knock the Niners out of the playoffs). 

• Like 2

The Vikings on Thursday announced the signing of safety Jake Gervase. Gervase joins the Vikings after playing 19 regular-season games over the past four seasons with the Rams. He also played in all four playoff games on the way to Los Angeles winning Super Bowl LVI.

In order to make room for Gervase on the roster, the Vikings terminated the contract of receiver N'Keal Harry.

Originally an undrafted free agent out of Iowa, Gervase played 304 snaps on special teams for the Rams in 2022. He overlapped with Vikings Special Teams Coordinator in Los Angeles in 2019 and with Vikings Head Coach Kevin O'Connell from 2020-21.

In 2018, Gervase led the Hawkeyes with 89 tackles, including 49 solo stops and tied for second in the Big Ten and 16th nationally with four interceptions.

https://www.vikings.com/news/2023-sign-former-ram-jake-gervase?fbclid=IwAR2ashtuYs8MWuZh6-m6LE9_M7stLOEmcBjvCAMdFEGiHGWOdx2vr2Owa2c

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

calling all 49er fanz! hear ye, hear ye!

come tell us whether we should entertain signing on Trey Lance to the Vikings.

@y2lamanaki  @Forge  @GW21  @49erurtaza  @TecmoSuperJoe  @N4L  @Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420  @J-ALL-DAY  @clarkfn2284  @

Yes! If you can somehow get the 49ers to trade him for a conditional pick, I would do it.

• Like 1

what will the SF FO let him go for? who might be other suitors?

The first question I don't know on, tbh. I don't think there's any real market for him. They don't really save anything this year by trading him, so if they can keep him on as QB3, I think they would like to do that...though tom peilssero has said that Brandon Allen is QB3 and Trey is the odd man out, apparently, which would mean that they are just going to unload him. I wouldn't be surprised if they just wanted to be out of this either. It makes it a little cleaner if Purdy struggles out of the gate, you know? Will be a large chorus of "maybe you should give the guy you used three first round picks on a shot!" type stuff. 

I think that a lot of teams should have a semblance of interest for a day three pick or a swap of picks on day three, but I don't think a ton of teams will. 

• Like 1

calling all 49er fanz! hear ye, hear ye!

come tell us whether we should entertain signing on Trey Lance to the Vikings.

@y2lamanaki  @Forge  @GW21  @49erurtaza  @TecmoSuperJoe  @N4L  @Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420  @J-ALL-DAY  @clarkfn2284  @

Yes, he's most definitely worth the late round pick. Cousins is entering his last season and you guys have little to lose. Lance has improved his accuracy and has been better than he was the last two camps. He still sees certain things slowly and is a rhythm passer so it takes him a bit to get going but once he does, he does well. I don't see any downside for the Vikings to trade for him and then potentially give him the part of the season if the team is not in the playoffs hunt. Do it! You may be able to get him for a 7th round pick at this point lol. 

• Like 1

Before we get to what happened Wednesday, think for a moment about what has happened in Lance's life since he posted a nearly flawless 2019 season at North Dakota State. At 19 years old, he ran for 1,100 yards and threw 28 touchdown passes without a single interception, and the Bison went 16-0 to win the FCS national title. Even allowing for the level of play, it had to have been one of the most impressive redshirt freshman seasons in college football history.

What happened next is hard to believe. A global pandemic shut down the world and limited Lance to one game in 2020. He declared for the draft and was selected by the 49ers at No. 3 overall -- they gave up a huge haul to move up the board -- but a preseason injury to his index finger prevented him from getting consistent reps in practice in 2021. He started two games as an injury fill-in for Jimmy Garoppolo, averaging 8.5 yards per attempt and running for 168 total yards. Given the QB1 job last season, Lance started Week 1 in near-unplayable mud in Chicago and then broke his leg in the first quarter of Week 2 against Seattle.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38253859/trey-lance-future-best-nfl-team-trade-fits-how-49ers-got-wrong-next

• Like 4

Small chance the 49ers keep 4 QBs on their roster. Brandon Allen may get scooped up if they try and sneak him onto the PS.

I think a move with Lance happens right before 53-man rosters are due next Tuesday.

Hypothetically assuming a move for Lance by the Vikings is made, what do we do with our QB room?

We're for sure trying to get Hall on the PS.

Would we carry 3 QBs? Would we trust Lance to be the backup? Mullens is likely getting poached if he's exposed to the PS.

23 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Small chance the 49ers keep 4 QBs on their roster. Brandon Allen may get scooped up if they try and sneak him onto the PS.

I think a move with Lance happens right before 53-man rosters are due next Tuesday.

Hypothetically assuming a move for Lance by the Vikings is made, what do we do with our QB room?

We're for sure trying to get Hall on the PS.

Would we carry 3 QBs? Would we trust Lance to be the backup? Mullens is likely getting poached if he's exposed to the PS.

If they make the trade, it's guaranteed that they're keeping 3 QBs on the 53-man roster.  I think they'll try to get Hall through to the PS either way.  So, a trade for Lance means one of the fringe guys, like a Theo Jackson or Jalen Reagor (who may get cut either way), gets the boot. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, swede700 said:

If they make the trade, it's guaranteed that they're keeping 3 QBs on the 53-man roster.  I think they'll try to get Hall through to the PS either way.  So, a trade for Lance means one of the fringe guys, like a Theo Jackson or Jalen Reagor (who may get cut either way), gets the boot. 

This is where my head is at as well. 

Regardless of Lance, I don't think Hall has done enough where he'd warrant protection on the 53.

• Like 4

The Vikings on Friday announced the signing of cornerback Jameson Houston one day ahead of concluding the 2023 preseason by hosting the Cardinals.

In order to make room for Houston on the roster, the Vikings waived tackle Chim Okorafor.

Houston appeared in two games for the XFL's San Antonio Brahmas this spring.

The Texas native played college football at Baylor, where he appeared in 48 games for the Bears from 2016-19. Houston totaled 86 tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss, an interception, 17 passes defensed, a forced fumble and two fumble recoveries. Houston was named First-Team Academic All-Big 12 and received an All-Big 12 Honorable Mention as a senior.

https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-sign-cornerback-jameson-houston?fbclid=IwAR0gT25Mz6nfEgEo0Mi2FwodnblZ4XmBeLFHskmC8SHTIZdMKWAApwlC-Y0