Alex Smith to be traded to Washington for 3rd round pick and CB Kendall Fuller; agrees to extension

Apparition

4 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I heard a fan say it would have been better to tank with Colt McCoy. Maybe they were right. 

I kind of get it from Washington's perspective - they weren't willingn to commit to a tank rebuild. I suppose that's commendable. I don't know. They did the absolute best thing that they could have to remain as competitive as they have been while losing Cousins. At the same time, yeah, he's 34 years old, your team isn't in that range where its a super competitive playoff team so I don't think that Smith really helps there overall.  I can certainly see the merit in keeping Colt and starting him or a rookie, or really even just signing one of the quarterbacks who loses musical chairs (Keenum, Bradford, Teddy B, Tyrod, etc), the difference is probably nominal and you keep your assets. 

2 hours ago, everlong said:

They probably picked up the option because they didn't want uncertainty at the position.

After 28-3, playing conservative against NE is a mistake.

Never said it wasn't. It most definitely was dumb. But I think that's the coaches, not on Blake/being conservative because he's our QB.

15 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Chiefs absolutely bent WAS over. Wow.

The crazy thing is that it appears to have been the market if you want to believe Allbright about the other offers. So it wasn't just Washington. That was just what people were offering for him. 

Yeah, if the Redskins were going to lose Cousins, and still wanted to be any kind of contender, Smith was the right option. The Chiefs hated the compensation for Alex, and 5 years later, most reasonable fans agree that he turned out to be worth it. 

Looks like he heads to yet another fanbase that starts out hating his guts, poor rich Alex. It's absolutely no wonder that Smith avoids social media, but this guy clearly has it right.

Alex Smith is held in much higher regard in the football community than what you hear and read in the wake of pending trade to Washington.

18 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Yeah, if the Redskins were going to lose Cousins, and still wanted to be any kind of contender, Smith was the right option. The Chiefs hated the compensation for Alex, and 5 years later, most reasonable fans agree that he turned out to be worth it. 

Looks like he heads to yet another fanbase that starts out hating his guts, poor rich Alex. It's absolutely no wonder that Smith avoids social media, but this guy clearly has it right.

Alex Smith is held in much higher regard in the football community than what you hear and read in the wake of pending trade to Washington.

Except he wasn't 34 years old then and making $71 mil in guaranteed money.  Oh and they didn't give up a really good CB prospect.  

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Except he wasn't 34 years old then and making $71 mil in guaranteed money.  Oh and they didn't give up a really good CB prospect.  

I wouldn't worry much about age. Dude keeps himself in great shape every offseason. Worry about the concussions. I'd like to see the contract structuring before wetting my pants. We'll see about Fuller. I bet Bob Sutton makes him look awful in KC's 30th ranked dvoa defense. 

3 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

I wouldn't worry much about age. Dude keeps himself in great shape every offseason. Worry about the concussions. I'd like to see the contract structuring before wetting my pants. We'll see about Fuller. I bet Bob Sutton makes him look awful in KC's 30th ranked dvoa defense. 

Fuller is a fantastic slot CB and had 4 INTs this year (I think that lead our team).