This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

Just now, Pool said:

This is the kind of discussion I come here for. Nice strawman. Tarik Cohen is elite. Tarik Cohen is average. Which of the underlined statements was said by one of us. I'll give you a hint. You said the second one. Still think that? Because yea, tune me out if so.

Absolutely.  What exactly has Cohen done to show he's elite?  He's on pace 434 rushing yards, which would have ranked 45th last year.  He's on pace for 733 receiving yards, which would be 42nd.  I guess if being in the 40s is elite, go right ahead.  I'll use the more obvious approach and that Matt Nagy is doing a tremendous job of putting him in a position to succeed.  His success is a direct result of strong playcalling from Nagy.  Not because he's some elite talent. 

• Like 1

Just now, CWood21 said:

Absolutely.  What exactly has Cohen done to show he's elite?  He's on pace 434 rushing yards, which would have ranked 45th last year.  He's on pace for 733 receiving yards, which would be 42nd.  I guess if being in the 40s is elite, go right ahead.  I'll use the more obvious approach and that Matt Nagy is doing a tremendous job of putting him in a position to succeed.  His success is a direct result of strong playcalling from Nagy.  Not because he's some elite talent. 

I don't think he is elite. Far from it. I think he is above average to very good. You keep throwing these statements at me that I have never said. This is why these discussions break down. But let's get back on topic. Why do you think the Bears aren't a good team? What holes do you think they have on their roster? What in your opinion is holding them back from being serious contenders for the next couple of years? It isn't hard to say nice accurate things about an opponent. Here's an example. Rodgers is the best QB in the NFC. I'd love to have a WR like Adams or a corner like Alexander. See? Not hard to give another team credit. Here's another just for funsies. Aaron Jones looks like that premier RB you've been missing since Ahman Green.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I would LOVE to see you calling this as the time.  I know you didn't.  Stop using revisionist theory to try and prove a point.

I don't follow, what did I need to be calling out to prove what point?

I simply mentioned the inarguable point that the Packers GM selected an Alabama S at pick 21 overall in 2014, that said S flamed out in GB, and that said S was shipped out of GB in return for a 4th round pick earlier in 2018.

I also noted that the Bears GM selected a S from Alabama in the 4th round who is playing really well for a really good defense.

Finally, I highlighted why the argument that players from Alabama ought to be avoided in the draft because they inevitably underachieve in the NFL is foolhardy. 

I never "called" any of these things.

I was merely noting these seemingly self-evident points.

29 minutes ago, Pool said:

I'd say they overpaid for Wilkerson and Graham considering their production wouldn't you? Again, what are these free agents the Bears need that they have no shot at? If I'm being honest you really aren't making a lot of sense right now. Any chance you may have had one too many with Thanksgiving dinner? :)

You seriously saying the Packers overpaid for a guy who is on IR?  Lol.  No kidding.  

And I was against the Graham signing, so you're preaching to the choir there.  However, tight ends take time to catch on with Rodgers.  If Graham has enough left in the next two years to be physically capable, he's gonna be a monster here.  

9 minutes ago, Pool said:

I don't think he is elite. Far from it. I think he is above average to very good. You keep throwing these statements at me that I have never said. This is why these discussions break down. But let's get back on topic. Why do you think the Bears aren't a good team? What holes do you think they have on their roster? What in your opinion is holding them back from being serious contenders for the next couple of years? It isn't hard to say nice accurate things about an opponent. Here's an example. Rodgers is the best QB in the NFC. I'd love to have a WR like Adams or a corner like Alexander. See? Not hard to give another team credit. Here's another just for funsies. Aaron Jones looks like that premier RB you've been missing since Ahman Green.

You just said that he was elite, and that I said he was average.  He's a good utility back, which is exactly what I'd call him.  Nagy does a GREAT job utilizing him to his strengths and avoiding his weaknesses.  How do you think he'd hold up in pass protection?  He'd be destroyed.  Because that's not his game.  You give credit to Nagy for that.

As for the Bears, I've already been on record as saying that I'm not a Trubisky fan.  And nothing he's done this year has changed my opinion on him.  He does a GREAT job playing within the offensive scheme and Nagy does a great job calling plays to limit the mistakes.  But when Bears' fans were swooning over the game against the Buccaneers, the rest of us were telling you to wait.  He still turns the ball over way too much, 5 interceptions in the last 5 games.  That needs to improve.  Right now, he's got a defense that can and will bail him out.  They've got talent on that roster, I just refuse to gush praise on them over a 10 game period.  Right now, they're in a perfect storm.  Let's see if they can sustain that kind of success.  I think they need to improve their OL, and their corners could stand to be upgraded.  They're a good team, but being this elite team?  Not until they get a better QB IMO.

11 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

I don't follow, what did I need to be calling out to prove what point?

I simply mentioned the inarguable point that the Packers GM selected an Alabama S at pick 21 overall in 2014, that said S flamed out in GB, and that said S was shipped out of GB in return for a 4th round pick earlier in 2018.

I also noted that the Bears GM selected a S from Alabama in the 4th round who is playing really well for a really good defense.

Finally, I highlighted why the argument that players from Alabama ought to be avoided in the draft because they inevitably underachieve in the NFL is foolhardy. 

I never "called" any of these things.

I was merely noting these seemingly self-evident points.

You were "upset" that the Packers invested a first into HHCD and the Bears invested a 4th in Eddie Jackson.  Only HHCD is in Washington now, and Eddie Jackson is an emerging young talent.  Although, talent never was the question with Jackson.  If he wouldn't have broken his leg his last year at Alabama, he probably would have been a Day 2 pick.  Everyone gets all up in arms when the Packers (or whoever their team is) don't take the guys with injury concerns or character concerns, but they fail to admit that for every Tyreek Hill or Eddie Jackson, there are a dozen who busts.  Hell, the Packers took their own "injury risk" in Vince Biegel and he's no longer on the roster.

2 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

The Bears are 8-3. No slobbering. Just recognition of facts. They have used the relatively cheap rookie contract of their QB to stock up on FAs. They drafted well. So they are 8-3. 

Refreshing to see there are still members who act rational instead of attacking those who have a different opinion. 

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You were "upset" that the Packers invested a first into HHCD and the Bears invested a 4th in Eddie Jackson.  Only HHCD is in Washington now, and Eddie Jackson is an emerging young talent.  Although, talent never was the question with Jackson.  If he wouldn't have broken his leg his last year at Alabama, he probably would have been a Day 2 pick.  Everyone gets all up in arms when the Packers (or whoever their team is) don't take the guys with injury concerns or character concerns, but they fail to admit that for every Tyreek Hill or Eddie Jackson, there are a dozen who busts.  Hell, the Packers took their own "injury risk" in Vince Biegel and he's no longer on the roster.

Well, whether it is guys who GB did select like HaHa and Biegel or guys who they did not select, I think your overarching point certainly holds true.

Packer fans need to be far more appreciative of all that ELITE drafting you've assured us went on in Green Bay between 2011-2017.

25 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You just said that he was elite, and that I said he was average.  He's a good utility back, which is exactly what I'd call him.  Nagy does a GREAT job utilizing him to his strengths and avoiding his weaknesses.  How do you think he'd hold up in pass protection?  He'd be destroyed.  Because that's not his game.  You give credit to Nagy for that.

As for the Bears, I've already been on record as saying that I'm not a Trubisky fan.  And nothing he's done this year has changed my opinion on him.  He does a GREAT job playing within the offensive scheme and Nagy does a great job calling plays to limit the mistakes.  But when Bears' fans were swooning over the game against the Buccaneers, the rest of us were telling you to wait.  He still turns the ball over way too much, 5 interceptions in the last 5 games.  That needs to improve.  Right now, he's got a defense that can and will bail him out.  They've got talent on that roster, I just refuse to gush praise on them over a 10 game period.  Right now, they're in a perfect storm.  Let's see if they can sustain that kind of success.  I think they need to improve their OL, and their corners could stand to be upgraded.  They're a good team, but being this elite team?  Not until they get a better QB IMO.

So you arent willing to praise them over a 10 game period but you are willing to critique the QB over that 10 game period. You say Trubisky needs to improve, yet he has every game. Got it.