This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

11 hours ago, SkolMasterMN said:

I do laugh when Packer fans act like the Vikings are bottom of the barrel now..

We are coming! Week 17 doesn't define us

If that game goes a different way than it's us making the playoffs and not you.

The gap between MN and GB is very close.

Should have been better if Cousins doesn't get injured.  But they finished the season with a whimper going 2-6 over their final 8 games, and giving up 30.0 ppg over their final 4 game losing streak.  The Vikings have 16ish percent of their cap on Kirk Cousins and Danielle Hunter, current FAs; and they don't have a replacement for either on the roster.  MN is also about to reset the WR market with Justin Jefferson  They have 9 picks in the draft, but only two of those selections are in the top 100.  Meanwhile the rest of the division is stacked with young talented players and better draft capital.  

I am not at all a Viking hater.  I play a lot of the games with the guys on the Vikings board.  I have been Kirk Cousins' freaking shield bearer for like the last 6 years.  I think they have an excellent group of pass catchers.  But I don't see a lot of reason for optimism for the 2024 squad at this juncture. 

I think this is a good time for a Vikings reset.  You have a great WR room, and I think a pretty good OL.  BUT the Lions are already there.  The Packers are coming.  The Bears are coming.  Take it on the chin for a year or two, and come out of it as the new, young, hungry team.  And who knows? Jaden Daniels falls to 11 and they could be good again immediately.

All that said, the Vikings should be seen as the underdogs in the division at this point.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SkolMasterMN said:

You are correct.  The gap between MN and GB is very close, in terms of proximity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MacReady said:

The Vikings are in an enviable situation right now. IF they get their QB pick right.

Free agent or draft QB "pick"? I think for draft there is a good chance they will have to give up quite a bit IF anyone is even willing to trade back. Many of the teams before them need a QB too.

As far as their roster, they have some pretty serious needs at EDGE, O-line, CB, RB, And maybe safety now with Harrison potentially being a cap casualty/age. TE will be an issue next season with Hock's injury. Their best player (JJ) also won't even commit to wanting to be there last I saw.

15 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Free agent or draft QB "pick"? I think for draft there is a good chance they will have to give up quite a bit IF anyone is even willing to trade back. Many of the teams before them need a QB too.

As far as their roster, they have some pretty serious needs at EDGE, O-line, CB, RB, And maybe safety now with Harrison potentially being a cap casualty/age. TE will be an issue next season with Hock's injury. Their best player (JJ) also won't even commit to wanting to be there last I saw.

I have no doubt they’re going to screw it up, but they’ve got a decent head coach and a nice opportunity to move up and grab a QB here. Get some backup QB to let them tank for a season, then let the rookie QB go two seasons from now.

• Like 1

If one of the big 3 QB's falls to the Chargers pick at #5, I could definitely see MIN trying to move up from #11. 

Otherwise, I think MIN is taking McCarthy at #11, which isn't a terrible option if they can find a decent transition QB for next season.

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

I think the best bet for 2024 success is to bring back Kirk Cousins.  They will win a lot of games, and push for the playoffs.  They may or may not even go for a QB like McCarthy or Pennix and sit them for a season or two. 

What I think is best for the long term success for the Vikings is to go with a cheaper vet like Drew Lock or Gardner Minshew for next season.  Pick up a lot of young players, eat all bad salaries this season, and probably finish with 5 or 6 wins, but have a very good draft pick and a ton of cap space from 2025 onward.  They have a very good coach, to go with good OL and WRs.  Packers and Lions are also going to start to have to pay their young guys that season, so it sets up for you to build a team that takes advantage of them while they have to re-adjust.  

I also think that keeping Jefferson is going to be really easy.  Open up the checkbook and let him know your vague plan, so he feels like he is part of the process.  His comments about being paid earlier in the offseason are more of a status thing than a greed thing.  He has earned top WR money and he wants that recognition.  That would be the least of my concerns if I were a Vikings fan.

The Vikings future, IMO, is predicated on what they do at the QB position.  They need to find a successor to Cousins, but it's unlikely they can improve on Cousins this year, but this QB class is much better than next year's QB class so they should do something.

2 hours ago, MacReady said:

I have no doubt they’re going to screw it up, but they’ve got a decent head coach and a nice opportunity to move up and grab a QB here. Get some backup QB to let them tank for a season, then let the rookie QB go two seasons from now.

I know this time of year is complete BS but I just saw someone float that it would potentially cost MN up to 3 first rounders to move up for their QB with someone like NE. I am assuming Daniels. Maybe that is an opportunity, but I wouldn't say a good one. Giving up anywhere near that normally never works out.

I suppose that's an opportunity (that them and a few teams have). Guy better be an absolute stud for a price tag like that.

Goes to show you, the worst time to look for a QB is when you need one because you're bent over a barrel on a uncertain draft pick/trade, trade, or up for a free agency overpay. Thanks Gute!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, SkolMasterMN said:

Oh my sweet summer child

On 2/25/2024 at 11:49 PM, SkolMasterMN said:

8e9.gif

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

I know this time of year is complete BS but I just saw someone float that it would potentially cost MN up to 3 first rounders to move up for their QB with someone like NE. I am assuming Daniels. Maybe that is an opportunity, but I wouldn't say a good one. Giving up anywhere near that normally never works out.

I suppose that's an opportunity (that them and a few teams have). Guy better be an absolute stud for a price tag like that.

Goes to show you, the worst time to look for a QB is when you need one because you're bent over a barrel on a uncertain draft pick/trade, trade, or up for a free agency overpay. Thanks Gute!

And here some folks were up in arms because Gute traded (checks notes) a 4'th rounder to secure Love.  LOL.

#QBPurgatory  #FireGute

• Like 2

Aright folks got a new source on Chicago Bears intel, supposedly.

Sauce says, Fields to Atlanta. Agent and Justin know that’s the team bidding. Two other teams made calls on him. One that was fishing for price they haven’t heard from since initial contact. One that is to be notified if Atlanta backs out. But it’s ultimately Atlanta making the decision on if they can give enough to convince Chicago to not just hold both QBs and see what happens.

30 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Aright folks got a new source on Chicago Bears intel, supposedly.

Sauce says, Fields to Atlanta. Agent and Justin know that’s the team bidding. Two other teams made calls on him. One that was fishing for price they haven’t heard from since initial contact. One that is to be notified if Atlanta backs out. But it’s ultimately Atlanta making the decision on if they can give enough to convince Chicago to not just hold both QBs and see what happens.

No real question to the source.  It was Fields agent when he posted on X.