How does this SB effect Tom Brady's status of all time?

mdonnelly21

105 members have voted

1. 1. How did this SB Effect Tom Brady's Status

• It was a surplus to his career by a lot
    • It was surplus to his career by a little
    • It did not help or hurt
    • It hurt his career

Bradshaw, Aikman, Plunkett - combined 9-0 in the big game. 

Marino, Favre, Rodgers - combined 2-2 in the big game.

That tells you what you need to know about W/L for QBs. TEAMS win championships. This isn't golf or tennis where we can directly compare Tiger and Federer with their peers. There are just far too many factors and variables in winning a team sport. Brady could easily be 7-1 in Super Bowls, likewise it's not a stretch to say he could also be 3-5 like LeBron or have lost 5 consecutive Super Bowls if Seattle had ran the damn ball and Atlanta hadn't crapped the bed. 

Brady has had the most successful career of any QB in the modern era (Otto Graham), but that doesn't automatically translate into being the best QB. The former can be measured, the latter is a matter of opinion. Personally I'd take Rodgers as the best overall QB I've ever seen. Brady would be in my Top 5 with Montana, Marino and Peyton. 

It doesn't change anything. He's the GOAT. The only thing he can do at this point is jack up the amount of rings he's won to make him even less chaseable in the future. This one would have helped, but his legacy is already the GOAT and losing in the Super Bowl doesn't change that. Even if he pulls an Eli Manning next year in terms of performance, he's still the GOAT. Declining in the twilight of your career shouldn't affect your legacy at all.

Also, people that point to rings without context as to determining career success are idiots.

1 hour ago, Pats#1 said:

Brady doesn't have a losing record in the finals though

I think looking at context is important here.  I've lost count as to how many straight Finals LeBron James has appeared in, I think it's currently seven straight.  Of course, context is necessary in that regard as well.  But it's more complex than Brady not having a losing record.

10 minutes ago, showtime said:

I think looking at context is important here.  I've lost count as to how many straight Finals LeBron James has appeared in, I think it's currently seven straight.  Of course, context is necessary in that regard as well.  But it's more complex than Brady not having a losing record.

I was answering with a quick response because comparing basketball to football when it comes to playoffs and legacy (single elimination vs series), just doesn't make sense. 

I think it helped his career just a tad or how people view him a little bit...I mean 500 freaking yards 3 touchdowns and zero interception in the SB at age 40?!. Belichick on the other hand hurt his legacy by a significant amount.

Also, I know its not fair for Brady at all but this loss killed any argument he had against Jordan as the GOAT of team sports...unless he wins the next 3 or something which I can't completely count him out on doing lol, GOAT NFL player by far though.

2 minutes ago, Plat2 said:

I think it helped his career just a tad or how people view him a little bit...I mean 500 freaking yards 3 touchdowns and zero interception in the SB at age 40?!. Belichick on the other hand hurt his legacy by a significant amount.

Yea, I mean this season he was the age that everyone says the fall off the cliff is supposed to happen. He pretty much blew that out of the water.

Archived