Close this thread

Dashing202

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

The sock will have a hole in it for long distance pacification. Plus, I plan on hiring someone with massive forearms to swing it for me.

This quote with no context would make a fine signature for somebody in need of one. 

1 hour ago, cddolphin said:

Can you explain a bit more? So if you get pulled over, they ask to search your vehicle because of your Bob Marley air freshener and taco bell in the passenger seat, you politely refuse, and they say sit tight we're bringing the dogs out. You can just say nah and peace out??

Probably not if they smell the tree. Which is kind of like your point about them subtly signalling for the sniffer dog to bark. 

What happens if police use the smell of alcohol as PC but later determine you're not drunk? Or the smell of weed, but there's none in the car? Is the officer just given the benefit of the doubt that he did in fact smell trace amounts with his superhuman nose?

Just now, domepatrol91 said:

Probably not if they smell the tree. Which is kind of like your point about them subtly signalling for the sniffer dog to bark. 

What happens if police use the smell of alcohol as PC but later determine you're not drunk? Or the smell of weed, but there's none in the car? Is the officer just given the benefit of the doubt that he did in fact smell trace amounts with his superhuman nose?

Duh, gotcha. I forgot the perceived smell of an illicit substance is enough for PC. So basically they have PC whenever they want to have it, when it comes to car searches.

5 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Only real qualification was that I could never smoke tree. So, I switched to propane. Problem solved.

I'll take my $175k in nickels. In a sock, I have a few people I know who need a good beating.

You come anywhere near me and I will renew the restraining order.

4 hours ago, cddolphin said:

Duh, gotcha. I forgot the perceived smell of an illicit substance is enough for PC. So basically they have PC whenever they want to have it, when it comes to car searches.

Ish. They’re leaving themselves open to suppression if they try to actually push that.

If the reason for the stop is exhausted (they stop you for speeding and they’ve given you a ticket), they can’t hold you there any longer in the absence of reasonable suspicion. The deciding case was out of Nebraska. SCOTUS overturned the conviction because they made the driver wait around for 45 minutes (I think?) for a drug dog even though they had been ticketed and there was no real reason to suspect drugs aside from essentially a sneaking suspicion.

”Am I free to go?”

”No, you may not conduct a search.”

Good things to keep in mind.

ETA: reasonable suspicion, not probable cause. Mistyped earlier.

14 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

You come anywhere near me and I will renew the restraining order.

Ten steps ahead of you, fam:

4 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

The sock will have a hole in it for long distance pacification. 

This was created with YOU specifically in mind. As well as anyone else who has a restraining order on me.

to continue fretgod's professional understanding of the limitations of an officer and of a citizen's rights...

i had two cops come to my home one night. after i answered the door they introduced themselves, said i was not in any form of trouble nor was being investigated, but were interviewing people in my neighborhood about a recent home invasion. they asked if they could come in.

"No, officers, i do not give you permission to enter my home. We'll talk out on the porch," i said. i then asked them both to verbally state i had not given them permission to enter my house and that they understood that. i was under no obligation to list my reasons why.

once you give an officer permission to enter your home, if they then see something they feel is illegal, they can return with a warrant to search your home. your acceptance of allowing them in to your house, when there is no requirement to feel obligated to, then allows them to visually "search" your house for anything that is in plain sight.

i didn't want them to see my multiple wives working at the meth lab bench.

2 hours ago, fretgod99 said:

Ish. They’re leaving themselves open to suppression if they try to actually push that.

If the reason for the stop is exhausted (they stop you for speeding and they’ve given you a ticket), they can’t hold you there any longer in the absence of reasonable suspicion. The deciding case was out of Nebraska. SCOTUS overturned the conviction because they made the driver wait around for 45 minutes (I think?) for a drug dog even though they had been ticketed and there was no real reason to suspect drugs aside from essentially a sneaking suspicion.

”Am I free to go?”

”No, you may not conduct a search.”

Good things to keep in mind.

ETA: reasonable suspicion, not probable cause. Mistyped earlier.

Misremembered my facts: it was 7-8 minutes.

I’m reviewing the case today for an impending motion to suppress on a case of my own. Wee!

So I’ve been an officer for a little over three years now.  I couldn’t make it past page 3 of this thread.

My first impression was that the OP was getting offended because people weren’t taking the thread seriously.  Get used to that.  What are you going to do when you pull someone over for something simple like speeding, but as soon as you walk up to the car they start screaming at you calling you a pig/fascist/racist/etc and refuse to give you their ID?

Then i saw that he said he smokes tree.  Not the end of the world.  I did a little in high school and a handful of times in college.  I was honest, and by the time i was interviewing for the job it had probably been 3 or more years.  My agency was ok with that.  BUT....then i saw that he said on the application that he’s never smoked “tree”.  That’s where i stopped reading.  No ones a saint and everyone’s made mistakes and broken some laws.  Police agencies understand that while hiring.  But you have to be honest about it, it’s part of a maturation process.  This line of work is likely more scrutinized today than ever before - starting you career off with a lie, no matter how big or small, is not a good way to start.  

To me it doesn’t sound like you’re very serious about this career.  I don’t  know how how old you are, but it sounds like you have got some growing up to do before you consider this line of work.

On 2/22/2018 at 11:51 AM, EliteTexan80 said:

It's sad that I'm JUST getting that he was talking to me with "Texas".

I took it as him referring both you and vikedaddy with the sur name “Daddy”.  So, “Texas Daddy”.

After my last post about not making it past page 3, I remembered how these types of threads tend to progress so I kept reading.  Not disappointed.

Archived