2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

Just now, packfanfb said:

Yet we are paying $24 million to Cobb and Nelson. That's A LOT worse than overpaying for a more dynamic player.

lol exactly. I mean, I'm fine not wanting to give $16 million to Watkins, but idk how people can stomach this team shelling out over $20 million combined to Jordy and Cobb in the year 2018

Just now, Leader said:

HZ - your posts arent actually difficult to understand. I know you said its not about production. You said his value was being a decoy. Got it.

If you saw/read my response, I disagree.

Watkins living on potential still.

Not production.

Not decoy skills.

Potential....and at 16M per....he's setting a high bar for potential value

Interesting opinion.  It's wrong, but still an interesting opinion.  You keep saying he was the Ram's fourth best receiver.  He averaged over a full yard more per reception than any other receiver on that roster.  With Goff throwing him the ball, at 15.2 yards per reception, he's averaging more than Jordy Nelson has since 2014.  He's averaging more than Cobb has at any point in Cobb's career.  His 17.5 yards per reception on 60 catches in 2015 is better than any receiver Rodgers has thrown to with the exception of Jordy Nelson in 2011.  Tyrod Taylor was throwing him the ball in that year. 

He's not living on potential.  He has realized his potential with CRAP quarterbacks.

2 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Interesting opinion.  It's wrong, but still an interesting opinion.  You keep saying he was the Ram's fourth best receiver.  He averaged over a full yard more per reception than any other receiver on that roster.  With Goff throwing him the ball, at 15.2 yards per reception, he's averaging more than Jordy Nelson has since 2014.  He's averaging more than Cobb has at any point in Cobb's career.  His 17.5 yards per reception on 60 catches in 2015 is better than any receiver Rodgers has thrown to with the exception of Jordy Nelson in 2011.  Tyrod Taylor was throwing him the ball in that year. 

He's not living on potential.  He has realized his potential with CRAP quarterbacks.

His catch rate was in the 50's. He's a good receiver, nothing more. I'd go back to 2014 and give those deals to Cobb and Nelson over again 1 billion times before I pay Watkins.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You're talking the last year of backloaded deals, apples meet oranges.

Who says Watkins' wont be backloaded as well? It's still just about using your resources appropriately. We are choosing (for now at least) to pay a ton of money to Cobb and Nelson that we could have used on Robinson/Watkins, just for example. 

I didnt want Watkins at $16 mil anyways but you get the point.

18 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

Why do so many think Watkins is going to break the bank.  Per spotrac, his estimated Market value is around 6 million.  I've seen a couple articles put his value around 6 per year also.

I think we've learned the spotrac market value system is pretty broken and wrong.  15/year is the going rate for #1 wrs.

1 hour ago, BrettFavre004 said:

Jordan Matthews in that same kind of mold as Watkins and Robinson, very productive first two years, really hasn't missed all that many games for having an injury label.  I liked him a lot coming out.  If we really want to add someone who can play outside, I'd give him a call

Matthews is not a similar player to Watkins or Robinson.  Matthews is a slot guy who doesn't play big and is soft.  He's like an old Eric Decker and he's still young.

22 minutes ago, Leader said:

Okay.

So he was drafted with a high first round pick.

Got traded for a 2nd round pick (and a body).

Was the FORTH BEST wide receiver on the Rams last year......and somehow is worth 16M per year?

How? Why? Does he prep the footballs before the games as well? Clean the teams uni's? (I'm kidding....so no need to reply to that....but I dont think his production warrants the $$ he got).

Forth best being covered by the other team's first best.  That's weird.  Why would they do that to the other team's forth best?  Let us venture forth into a discussion and find out!

11 minutes ago, Leader said:

Never said he wasnt talented. He KICKED A^^ in Clemson. Has had a harder time at the next level - for whatever reason.

He *should have* broken out last year.

Grass field (easier on injuries) / Wide open offense / good weather conditions..........but he didnt. Why? Dont know - cant say. I didnt watch the Rams - but he was their forth best wide receiver and had less yards than Gurley. Something not right there.

Goff didn't want to use him so they set up easier defined throws for him and relied on Gurley.

Watkins averages 8.8 ypt for his career.  Cobb averages 8.3.  I don't think Cobb is literally better than him whatsoever. 

2015 in buffalo he was at 80 yards per game, missed 3 games, but that's elite WR production so that's what he got paid on.  Watkins probably had his worst year last year, but very little of that was his fault.  He's proven himself to be a very good WR when on the field, even surrounded with extremely poor talent like in Buffalo.

All this is to say that at 15+M/year I'd much rather have Mike Evans or Odell Beckham, but that seems to be the market rate for #1 WRs nowadays.

Just now, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I'm on the fence with Cobb, but I would be happy with a WR corps of Adams, Nelson, some fast guy like John Brown to rotate with Nelson, Cobb, a 3rd round pick, and Janis for special teams. Is Brown available? Anybody know? Anybody out there? Crickets.

Yes, Brown is a FA

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

Goff isnt a crap QB IMO. Just young.

With the Rams: Receptions, Targets and Yards....Watkins was forth across the board.

Comparing player out puts on different teams and different offensive schemes is interesting but inaccurate.

8 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

lol exactly. I mean, I'm fine not wanting to give $16 million to Watkins, but idk how people can stomach this team shelling out over $20 million combined to Jordy and Cobb in the year 2018

I’m guessing it’s because they (GB) didn’t sign those deals to those players in the year 2018.

Jordy has taken team friendly deals... all of his deals. Cobb’s deal was meet with amazement with how low it was at the time of signing.

Im not saying they aren’t overpay currently, right now. But it could be this is how GB wants to do business. Because it’s a people business and if you show something extra towards your players it leads to more team friendly deals.

* edit: extra meaning honoring deals etc. even if the player has a down year.

Just now, Leader said:

Goff isnt a crap QB IMO. Just young.

With the Rams: Receptions, Targets and Yards....Watkins was forth across the board.

Comparing player out puts on different teams and different offensive schemes is interesting but inaccurate.

dude can you not spell fourth or am i missing something

Archived