2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

I was thinking 50/50 too. Those are pretty sh***y odds to hitch a whole season on. Especially when you spent all your money on a TE

If a season is being hitched on anything it's Rodgers... Seriously people, come on! It's about 12. Did you see the super bowl with those "great defenses"... Please. We need stops, and to not be playing out of position. Pettine isn't an idiot. More talent will be added, and some former weaknesses could even improve. There is a lot of what if's right now, but to think any player not named Rodgers is how we get to a super bowl doesn't make sense.

2 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

Would rather spend 3/30 on a TE than 5/72 or 5/62 on a CB that probably isn't a true #1.

And we're not "hitching our whole season on it." The draft is one avenue. Jesus Christ.

Dude chill. UFA is another avenue. Don't want to go there either

50 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

This feels like a Chip Kelly offseason. 

First time since 2005 I've said "what the hell is the plan here?"

That's because we always knew what Ted's plan was during free agency - let all the hullaballoo settle before sorting through the scraps.  Just because it was predictable doesn't mean it was a good plan.  Sometimes he found something worthwhile, but a lot of the time he found that the scraps belonged on the trash heap where he found them.  To be honest, if we (completely unconnected fans on a random website) can glean Gute's plan, so can every other GM, which would render a plan completely useless.

I know its been said repetitively in this thread, but be patient, and remember, this is supposed to be an enjoyable pastime.  At least this year is interesting.

20 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I'm fine with the rotations at OLB going into the draft tbh. Pretty sure we'll find guys better than Fackrell and Biegel.

There's also always the possibility that Pettine can get more out of the guys he already has.  Look at what guys like Belichek does, he takes cast offs from other teams, finds out what they do well, and lets them do it in his system.  He doesn't force square pegs into round holes.  Maybe Pettine is going to be able to use these pegs better than Capers did.

4 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

If a season is being hitched on anything it's Rodgers... Seriously people, come on! It's about 12. Did you see the super bowl with those "great defenses"... Please. We need stops, and to not be playing out of position. Pettine isn't an idiot. More talent will be added, and some former weaknesses could even improve. There is a lot of what if's right now, but to think any player not named Rodgers is how we get to a super bowl doesn't make sense.

You are right about last year - which was an anomaly IMO. We shall see. For a long time before that we got bounced because the other team had a better defense, Rodgers or not. 

We were sold a bill of goods on the defense not being the step child. It still is and dyed it's hair red to boot

7 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

I totally agree. If anything after watching that Super Bowl I thought we needed more help on offense. I'm not sure our offense could have hung with either of those teams. Could our defense really play any worse than either of those teams. There was only one punt in the entire game. For the past few years our offense just hasn't really been all that dynamic. I'm not a huge believer in needing a stud secondary. It always starts and ends with your pass rush. It doesn't matter how good your secondary is if you can't get hits on the QB. I don't really know what to believe as far as the talent level on our defense. I'm not convinced that the defense is really hurting for talent. We see guys leave and turn into good players on other teams. Over the years we have drafted a ton of guys for the defense.

Well I honestly can't be too upset with that.  If the Packers didn't get him, the one team I'd want him to go to would be the Texans.  Would have been super exciting if he signed with us, but at least it's a team I can tolerate that just got significantly better. 

And another one gone, another one gone... Are there any good ones left?
Hey, someone else will sign them, too, another one bites the dust. 

Archived