2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

5 hours ago, ArthurPensky said:

I think this really reaffirms that gutey is sticking hard to Wolf’s height requirements.

If we have a GM that can't decipher the difference between using that rule to save your team from drafting busts and using it to sign already league proven All Pro DBs, we're in for a long ride.

Another cornerback to cross the off the list.

Now it down to:

Kyle Fuller (if Bears choses not to match)

Bashaud Breeland (if he can sort his foot out)

Darrelle Revis (Plug and play in Pettine scheme)

Byron Maxwell (what's the knock on him?)

Ronald Darby in a trade if rumors about him being available are true.

Eli Apple too (I think he's very tradeable. Only 22 and actually has talent and he would actually be a good fit in Pettine's system)

Ross Cockrell or Marcus Williams (A throw of a dart)

DRC (re-visit if FA and draft doesnt work out)

Tramon Williams (when all else fails)

Marcus Cooper (He had that one good year in Arizona 3-4 defence before moving to the Bears. He also has the required size and athleticism)

Davon House (Even I have to admit we have to consider him when all else fails)

FA Safety candidates:

Kenny Vaccaro (he's essentially another Burnett but younger - honestly wouldn't mind getting him if we're interested)

Eric Reid (if we stayed away from Kaepernick as a backup QB candidate then it's likely we would stay away from him - sad)

Tre Boston (looking to cash in after signing a 1 year $900k contract last season)

Morgan Burnett (considering the lack of options in the safety market I still think he will generate alot of interest)

After missing out on Mathieu (not surprised he chose Houston) we still need a Nickel/slot/safety. If we play alot of 3-safety sets such as 4-2-5 or 3-3-5 we would need to reinforce that position if Burnett goes and with Randall gone. We got HaHa and Jones but I think we will need to find one more as I'm not sure Brice has what it takes in coverage despite his awesome athleticism. He's an excellent to have for depth though.

Right now we need to replace House at CB2, Randall at Slot/3rd Safety/Nickel, Burnett at S/LB. Jones is probably going to directly replace Burnett. Matthieu was such an ideal FA for us as there's no other candidate available that has a Randall/Mathieu versatile skillset. At this point we're probably be looking at the draft again for that type of player. I still think think there's an opportunity to sign a FA CB2 looking at that list above.

With a little bit of research I've found that Josh Jones is Gute's guy. He's probably going to want to follow through on him which is why I believe he won't re-sign Burnett.

http://www.espn.co.uk/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/237992/josh-jones-the-youve-got-to-take-a-look-at-this-guy-draft-pick-for-packers

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/nfl-draft-2017-packers/2017/4/28/15463692/packers-brian-gutekunst-on-josh-jones-speed-versatility-explosiveness

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/20/packers-rookie-josh-jones-was-mike-mccarthys-draft-crush/

I hate weekends this time of year. 

I also don't know why Gute waits until Friday to hit us with the bad news.  Randall traded on a Friday, the Fuller Failure on Friday.  Gives us a full weekend to be upset with two days to wait for anything significant to happen to make up for it. 

28 minutes ago, packfanfb said:
30 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

At this point I hope we sign some EDGE guys like Curry and Dumervil and grab a WR like Pryor or Matthews and use 12 draft picks on DBs.

Id be okay with this.

Me too. 

1 minute ago, Ketchup said:

Me too. 

Me too. The CBs who are left are muh. Fix other areas and target CB in the draft. I'm all in on Ward now. He's my only hope, even if we have to sacrifice a bunch of draft choices to move up. The Packers could sacrifice draft choices, if they sign Curry and a WR in FA. That would be my plan.

Archived