2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

3 minutes ago, craig said:

A problem in all of this is that we tend to assume Packer coaches and managements aren't very good thinkers.  It would be nice to have GM and coach that had proven their decision-making to be smart, creative, and trustworthy.  Perhaps they actually are?  But for the moment I don't think there's a very strong trust-level on this board!  :):):) 

I dont know what they contemplate in their quiet time, but I think them capable enough to deploy their offensive weapons.

Matthews appears to be another of those "prove it to me" players - who's production (and market value) has suffered of recent. We shall see.....

8 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Nothing about Matthews coming out of Vandy said slot receiver, 6'3, over 33" arms, huge hands, he went there because Maclin was their outside deep threat and Cooper can't play the slot. Then they drafted Agholor and plugged him into Maclin's old spot and he sucked, the should've had Matthews play outside and but Agholor in the slot.

Matthews played outside at Vanderbilt. I'd imagine he's playing outside if he signs here. 

And here I thought I was alone saying that from the get go

26 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

And here I thought I was alone saying that from the get go

It's no different than a Browns fan saying "Why are we playing Damarious Randall at FS? 99% of his snaps in GB were at CB." 

Matthews has long arms, big hands, height, strength (21 reps at 225) and speed in the 4.4's. There's absolutely no reason he should have problems playing outside. 

Player A: 6'2 217, 4.51, 31", 10'3", 4.35, 7.03

Player B: 6'3 212, 4.46, 35.5", 10'0", 4.18, 6.95

One is Jordan Matthews, the other is a #87 we just cut that played outside, but could also play in the slot. 

IMO you have to be able to separate what a players been asked to do with what his skillset says he can/can't do. The Eagles needed Matthews in the slot, the Bills are WR hell so I don't care what they did with him, nothing is there to tell me Matthews can't slide right into Jordy's role.

Jordan Matthews would be a great signing, and just the type of player MM seems to want on offense.  He clearly doesn't place much value on guys who can only be a role player on offense.  Matthews may have played a lot in the slot, but his size/speed can project outside.  Still young with plenty of upside too.

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

IMO you have to be able to separate what a players been asked to do with what his skillset says he can/can't do. The Eagles needed Matthews in the slot, the Bills are WR hell so I don't care what they did with him, nothing is there to tell me Matthews can't slide right into Jordy's role.

That's fine, but look at 2016.  Eagles had trash WRs and they still asked him to play in the slot, how come?  They asked him to play in the slot despite having Agholor who played well in the slot this year.  How come?

The previous year, they asked him to play in the slot so they could get... Riley Cooper and rookie Agholor on the outside.  How come?  Well, that one I'll answer: Chip Kelley and WR blocking.  I'm guessing Cooper is out there for blocking and Agholor because he was a pride start due to his draft pedigree.

So did they NEED him in the slot when they had ertz and agholor and trey burton, probably not.  I'd chalk it up to a situation where they considered Matthews their most reliable WR and they put him in the position where he was most comfortable: the slot.

36 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Something big is going to happen today at around 5 PM CST just because it's the end of a week and that usually happens.  We're going to be involved in a trade of some sort.  I feel it. 

I knew you were really Arrigo

Packers require their WRs to learn all three spots, its part of the deal. That allows GB to mix and match as needed, handle injuries, stock the 46 actives, and run different packages. Packers played Jordy in the slot and outside, so if Matthews is the replacement then he needs to be capable of both

We also know that Cobb is in the last year of his deal and there isn't an heir apparent on the roster- the Packers like to have options and apparently feel that Matthews can give them quality snaps inside and out and they get time with him before they have to decide on Cobb extension or walking papers

29 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Something big is going to happen today at around 5 PM CST just because it's the end of a week and that usually happens.  We're going to be involved in a trade of some sort.  I feel it. 

a-disturbance-in-my-pants-i-feel.jpg

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

That's fine, but look at 2016.  Eagles had trash WRs and they still asked him to play in the slot, how come?  They asked him to play in the slot despite having Agholor who played well in the slot this year.  How come?

The previous year, they asked him to play in the slot so they could get... Riley Cooper and rookie Agholor on the outside.  How come?  Well, that one I'll answer: Chip Kelley and WR blocking.  I'm guessing Cooper is out there for blocking and Agholor because he was a pride start due to his draft pedigree.

So did they NEED him in the slot when they had ertz and agholor and trey burton, probably not.  I'd chalk it up to a situation where they considered Matthews their most reliable WR and they put him in the position where he was most comfortable: the slot.

The lost Maclin, they replaced Maclin with the guy with the most similar skillset, Agholor.

Chip is a lot like Dom. Here's my scheme and the players I need in it. Instead of evaluating his WR's and finding the best ways to utilize them, he liked the Maclin skillset outside, drafted a guy to replace him and he couldn't get off the press like Maclin could. That's why he isn't in the NFL anymore.

This FO loves to try and go get players on the market/trade that they held in high regard in the draft (Kizer most recently), I guarantee you that's Matthews. This staff is looking at Vandy Matthews and not Bills/Eagles Matthews in looking at how they want to utilize him. They view this as a 2nd chance to draft him.

39 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Would you be satisfied with signing Matthews?

Just now, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Would you be satisfied with signing Matthews?

Eh, I'd prefer it be us landing a corner somehow so I don't have to worry about our corners so much, but Matthews would certainly mean our offense is headed for a 2011 type season.  Offense wins championships, right? 

Archived