2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

I don't know that I'd call anyone who made it to the NFL in any capacity "gutter trash".

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Yes but we're a small percentage of the fan base and probably the ones that consume the least amount of that type of media. I guarantee I'll hear dozens of phone calls on the radio after our defenses first bad game next season asking why we didn't trade for a guy like Peterson.

Here is a syllogism for you all:

1) All NFL players are in the top 1% of football players

2) Some NFL players are better then others

3) When compared to other NFL players, some NFL players are gutter trash

1) All posters on this board are in the top 1% of Packers fans

2) Some posters are better then others

3) ?

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Yes but we're a small percentage of the fan base and probably the ones that consume the least amount of that type of media. I guarantee I'll hear dozens of phone calls on the radio after our defenses first bad game next season asking why we didn't trade for a guy like Peterson.

THIS! I get tired of hearing this same thing. I like to think packer fans are "football people" but I am starting to realize I was spoiled by the level of knowledge at PC and most guys here. Once you start talking to "normal" fans its frustrating lol

19 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Understood again - but the guys just talking football - its like we're sitting at the bar together - and he cant be held liable for the broad spectrum of informed folks tuning in - or at least I dont hold him to that standard. He offers an opinion on a topic of interest to me and I value and consider his input just as I do those commenting here - and in this specific instance, he stated multiple times "I dont know" - so I'll take him at his word. 

There's other instances of REAL matters - either current or past - where his input can fill in info holes.

19 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

Here is a syllogism for you all:

1) All NFL players are in the top 1% of football players

2) Some NFL players are better then others

3) When compared to other NFL players, some NFL players are gutter trash

1) All posters on this board are in the top 1% of Packers fans

2) Some posters are better then others

3) ?

I understand what you're saying. I guess I'm just not comfortable calling people gutter trash unless they're wanton criminals or something. YMMV I suppose. 

22 minutes ago, Leader said:

Understood again - but the guys just talking football - its like we're sitting at the bar together - and he cant be held liable for the broad spectrum of informed folks tuning in - or at least I dont hold him to that standard. He offers an opinion on a topic of interest to me and I value and consider his input just as I do those commenting here - and in this specific instance, he stated multiple times "I dont know" - so I'll take him at his word. 

There's other instances of REAL matters - either current or past - where his input can fill in info holes.

I guess it's just the journalism degree in me (even though I work in manufacturing now haha) but I expect better than baseless talk from guys who are being paid to talk Packers for a living. If you are going to do some baseless chatter, do some research and backup your opinion with facts. Marcus Peters is a total headcase with one year left on a contract before a massive payday (probably the highest in the NFL for a CB) and he went for a 2 and a 4. You have an All-Pro with no red flags, 3 years of very sound value under his current contract and no reasons to move him, and you're putting it out there that you think a 3rd or 4th gets him? Just makes you look like a moron.

59 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I guess it's just the journalism degree in me (even though I work in manufacturing now haha) but I expect better than baseless talk from guys who are being paid to talk Packers for a living. If you are going to do some baseless chatter, do some research and backup your opinion with facts. Marcus Peters is a total headcase with one year left on a contract before a massive payday (probably the highest in the NFL for a CB) and he went for a 2 and a 4. You have an All-Pro with no red flags, 3 years of very sound value under his current contract and no reasons to move him, and you're putting it out there that you think a 3rd or 4th gets him? Just makes you look like a moron.

What bothers me is there's seemingly no accountability for even being wrong 1000 times. Even when on its face it's obviously bs. So there's no incentive to even try to make sense, just do what the sheep will read and link and repeat. I am at the point where I don't even blame them anymore. Why do any research or actual work when it doesn't help and maybe even makes your stuff less popular. It's sad.

On this topic of opinions by both Packer fans and sportswriters, I got into a heated discussion at the 19th Hole following a round of golf with a close friend.  He postulated that the Packers are in rebuild mode - I argued the opposite with my premise being, “we’re not in rebuild mode so long as Rodgers is still our franchise QB!”  

My point was that GB is certainly retooling, and trying to fill some major holes, but as long as Rodgers is healthy and playing at a high level, there’s no way this team is in rebuild mode.  Heck, look at the Saints.  They went from very average to a very dominant NFC team in just one year.  Teams that are rebuilding don’t have that kind of quick turn-around.  Am I wrong here?  

Granted, several barley pops were consumed by this time, but my golf buddy and I were very much at odds with each other, and because neither of us could listen or understand each other’s logic, we left the clubhouse bar shouting obscenities at one another.  Yeah, stupid I know, but we each felt very strongly about our positions.  Just because 1265 welcomed a new GM, defensive and offensive coordinators, and several other coordinator positions, along with several key personnel changes already, doesn’t automatically mean we’re in rebuild mode. Or am I stoned?

36 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

What bothers me is there's seemingly no accountability for even being wrong 1000 times. Even when on its face it's obviously bs. So there's no incentive to even try to make sense, just do what the sheep will read and link and repeat. I am at the point where I don't even blame them anymore. Why do any research or actual work when it doesn't help and maybe even makes your stuff less popular. It's sad.

This isn't just football or sports.  This is the world now. As knowledgeable as this board seems- there are a lot of retweets that have no basis.  People don't feel accountable because they didn't originally say or text it.  It's the Russians.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Thats cool - but its not as if he's got a bunch of time to research stuff. He's fielding random questions from Packer fans in a condensed forum and time frame. I dont take him talking about hypothetical situations so seriously and think his answer to this specific proposition was peppered with as many "I dont knows" as is humanly possible before putting the cherry on top of: "Its gonna take a serious tender that bowls AZ over" to even get consideration on this.

36 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

This isn't just football or sports.  This is the world now. As knowledgeable as this board seems- there are a lot of retweets that have no basis.  People don't feel accountable because they didn't originally say or text it.  It's the Russians.

Lol

Yeah I was actually going to reference how this is everything but got too lazy to type my stupid story lol. Totally agree

Archived