2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

40 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Mercedes Lewis is the guy we need to add if that's what we're looking for. Not ST, but I don't care if my TEs play ST.

That has been a consistent body type that GB has used on ST for a few years now.  

Would still prefer a TE draft pick in the 3-5 round range to develop.  TE take a few years to develop, might as well start that process sooner vs later.

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Would still prefer a TE draft pick in the 3-5 round range to develop. 

Going back 10 years, here's what I found:

Finley 3,  DickRod 3 ( comp)

Quarless 5

Kennard Backman, DJ Williams 6

Ryan Taylor 7

And a whole bunch of UDFAs. That doesn't seem like much draft capital invested at TE over the decade from 2008-2017

17 minutes ago, squire12 said:

That has been a consistent body type that GB has used on ST for a few years now.  

Would still prefer a TE draft pick in the 3-5 round range to develop.  TE take a few years to develop, might as well start that process sooner vs later.

Just not a 35 year old body...

Edit, I think you meant TE is a body we like to use on ST.  Yeah... that hasn't always worked out.

6 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Going back 10 years, here's what I found:

Finley 3,  DickRod 3 ( comp)

Quarless 5

Kennard Backman, DJ Williams 6

Ryan Taylor 7

And a whole bunch of UDFAs. That doesn't seem like much draft capital invested at TE over the decade from 2008-2017

I really was thinking last draft with a deep and talented TE class would be the year to get another developmental TE player.  It seemed pretty known that Richard Rodgers was not the answer after successive years of Cook and Bennett being signed as FA

Not a lot of draft capital, but it is a position that they have spent in FA on.  Donald Lee (or was he a Sherman holdover?), Finley's second contract, Tony Gonzalez, Cook, Benett, Graham.  The only TE in the draft we really passed on was Venereal Disease, and maybe Gronk, but we already had Finley at the time.

Just now, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I disagree, one has to catch the ball to be a receiver.  Handbricks is useless.

This. Kendricks has skated by on his perceived athletic ability for nearly half a decade but Richard Rodgers was the better receiving TE last season every time I paid attention to both of them. I want no part of a guy as gifted as Kendricks is supposed to be who shows absolutely no ability to use any of his strengths in any meaningful manner. RR is limited, but he makes the most of what he has and his effort is never a question.

Archived