2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

Signing Des is an interesting prospect, if only because I’ve no way of knowing if Dez’s production dropped because of Dak, or for other reasons.  With Romo, Dez was a beast.  They had a thing, and it worked.  He and Dak never really clicked all that well.  Would he click with Rodgers?  Another uncertainty.  So is it worth it to try and find out for one year?  Without completely understanding Rodgers decision-making process on the field, I have no idea.  And since GB’s brass appears unwilling to involve ARod in personnel decisions, the only way to know any of these questions is to sign him and find out.  Is it worth a try for one year?  Well, if you’re basing the decision on the Bennett experiment, then no.  If, however, Rodgers doesn’t get hurt last season, does the Bennett experiment end differently?  Hmmmm.  

This is a tough one, IMO.  It could be great, or, it could end in disaster.  Pretty much how most other FA signings go, so I’ll leave this decision to the prognosticators at 1265 to decide.

7 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Signing Des is an interesting prospect......................

And signing Dez has an interesting twist to it. Not only could the GBPs play the "Come to GB, play with AR and get to a SB" negotiating tactic on him - but they could include: "Return to the place of your greatest career failing: the TD catch that wasnt - so you can rectify your failing, or at the very least be reminded of it on a daily basis" :)

8 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Signing Des is an interesting prospect, if only because I’ve no way of knowing if Dez’s production dropped because of Dak, or for other reasons.  With Romo, Dez was a beast.  They had a thing, and it worked.  He and Dak never really clicked all that well.  Would he click with Rodgers?  Another uncertainty.  So is it worth it to try and find out for one year?  Without completely understanding Rodgers decision-making process on the field, I have no idea.  And since GB’s brass appears unwilling to involve ARod in personnel decisions, the only way to know any of these questions is to sign him and find out.  Is it worth a try for one year?  Well, if you’re basing the decision on the Bennett experiment, then no.  If, however, Rodgers doesn’t get hurt last season, does the Bennett experiment end differently?  Hmmmm.  

This is a tough one, IMO.  It could be great, or, it could end in disaster.  Pretty much how most other FA signings go, so I’ll leave this decision to the prognosticators at 1265 to decide.

I kinda look at Dez right now in a similar light that I looked at Randy Moss in the 2007 offseason.  While he isn't the same caliber of WR, a lot of people thought Moss's career was over after Oakland.  That he had lost the physical attributes that made him a freak in Minnesota.  What happens?  He goes to New England and has one of the best 3 year spans in NFL history.  Not saying that will happen just that its premature to assume that Dez's career is over based on what we seen last year. 

12 hours ago, SSG said:

I kinda look at Dez right now in a similar light that I looked at Randy Moss in the 2007 offseason.  While he isn't the same caliber of WR, a lot of people thought Moss's career was over after Oakland.  That he had lost the physical attributes that made him a freak in Minnesota.  What happens?  He goes to New England and has one of the best 3 year spans in NFL history.  Not saying that will happen just that its premature to assume that Dez's career is over based on what we seen last year. 

Oh Randy Moss in 2007. I lurked in that thread so long that I ended up signing up here at FF. Dez is no Randy Moss, bit Dez would be fun. I won't be upset if we don't get him though. But as others have said, that redzone offense.... That would be something.

42 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

For what it’s worth, my opinion is that Dez will land in New England in a Randy Moss scene two.  I’m expecting an announcement this week.  Just a hunch.

It's worth nothing to me, simply because it's the last place I want him to go and for the only reason that if he does, these boards will be littered about how great BB is and blah blah blah. lol. 

Let's not overthink this Dez thing and talk ourselves out how good it could be.  If I'm Dez Bryant and I can't get myself onto Philly, Washington, or NYG.  What's the next best option?  There's a team in the conference that could use one more quality receiver that also has:

1. HOF quarterback that still has a few prime years left and can throw dimes falling away, in a snowstorm, while wearing mittens.
  2. An offensive line that is good enough to give said QB enough time to find the open receiver.
  3. Two young running backs that are good enough to get yards, but not good enough to demand carries.
  4. A good supporting cast of receivers and a TE that will give you desirable 1 on 1 match-ups.

From GB's point of view they get a big, strong target with ok speed that demands attention and will open things up for the rest of offense.  Oh, and he has a chip on his shoulder to show how great he still is.

12 to 88.  Aaron to Dez.  If they can figure our the dollars.  It could be a big shift in the balance of power in the NFC North. 

On 4/15/2018 at 7:39 AM, SSG said:

I want to say that Moss worked out for Hoodie before that trade happened.  I want to say he ran a 4.3 40, or something sick like that.

If Dez wants to come GB and can crack 5.0 in the 40, while outside in this blizzard, I say pay the man!  Seriously, worst storm I can remember in the past 8 years or so....

10 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

It's worth nothing to me, simply because it's the last place I want him to go and for the only reason that if he does, these boards will be littered about how great BB is and blah blah blah. lol. 

If that annoys you, then pretty much everything about this place does.  Granted, there's some crazy chicanery going on in here sometimes, but most of it is just talking about football - mostly the GB Packers - to pass the time when we should be doing our jobs (or for you retired folks - playing Bridge or working in the garden.)

Archived