2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

7 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

There better be nobody bitching about Nick Perry's contract, who is mad that we didn't trade for Robert Quinn. 

I'm just mad we haven't traded for somebody or signed somebody yet.  I don't care who it is.  I'd be content with us trading for Tavon Austin just to prove that things might actually be different this year than they've been the last 10 years. 

6 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Mathieu expected out in Arizona. Stick him in the slot here and never look back.

Mathieu is gonna cost a lot more than Peters and Quinn combined in both what it will take to trade for him as well as cap space.  Wasn't your logic behind not trading for Peters something along the lines of character concern and having to pay him a second contract?  Because Mathieu would cost 14 million this year, 14 million the next and he's gonna cost at least a second round pick THIS year while Peters would cost less than 2 million this year.  Mathieu also has character concerns of his own with multiple drug infractions. 

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I'm just mad we haven't traded for somebody or signed somebody yet.  I don't care who it is.  I'd be content with us trading for Tavon Austin just to prove that things might actually be different this year than they've been the last 10 years. 

Mathieu is gonna cost a lot more than Peters and Quinn combined in both what it will take to trade for him as well as cap space.  Wasn't your logic behind not trading for Peters something along the lines of character concern and having to pay him a second contract?  Because Mathieu would cost 14 million this year, 14 million the next and he's gonna cost at least a second round pick THIS year while Peters would cost less than 2 million this year.  Mathieu also has character concerns of his own with multiple drug infractions. 

Mathieu has 0 NFL drug infractions, clearly enough time has gone past (6 years) to say those concerns are gone.

As far as his contract that's the issue for me, not sure how roster bonuses work but I think if he's dealt that goes away? ARI takes the guaranteed money hit and he's left with a contract that would be about what we would pay Burnett, and he's a clearly better player.

Value wise, not sure how you can see he's going to garner what in this market. He's got an injury history and that contract. I think a mid rounder does it because his bonus and salary become guaranteed if he makes it past March 14.

19 hours ago, jleisher said:

What's there to legwork?  49ers OL was better then the Colts.  Also, 261 carries for 961 yards an avg of 3.7 and 3 Tds for a 34 y/o doesn't seem that bad.  Williams was 153/556/3.6/4. behind an OL that ranked 28th, the Colts ranked dead last.  If the price is right and he's willing to come in and be our #3 RB, hell yeah, I would consider it.  True Jones and Williams, might be the future, but we can't count on that or Maye and Montgomery.  I think adding a veteran RB would make sense, whether it's Gore or someone else.  I just used his name, cause he just got cut.

Except that the history of RBs after 30 years old is pretty damn bad.  It's something that we've seen time and time again.  Why do you believe that Frank Gore is anything different?  And we're ignoring the fact that Gore has to agree to come to Green Bay knowing he's likely behind Jamaal Williams and Aaron Jones, something that likely won't happen.

12 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

12.25/year for a guy who has averaged 6 sacks the past three seasons and is going into years 8 and 9 in the NFL.

There better be nobody bitching about Nick Perry's contract, who is mad that we didn't trade for Robert Quinn. 

Agreed.  I won't be losing any sleep over GB not trading for a 3rd highly paid, veteran edge player who can't seem to stay healthy.

13 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

12.25/year for a guy who has averaged 6 sacks the past three seasons and is going into years 8 and 9 in the NFL.

I like the deal for Miami.  Quinn had a regression a few years ago, but let's not forget that most of it was due to injury.  He's averaging .65 sacks per game started over the last 3 years (which doesn't include his number juicing 2013 19 sack season or his Pro Bowl 2014 10.5 sack season). Those numbers are 10.5 sacks per season extrapolated over 16 starts.

I'm using starts over games because I think it reflects his games played while injured and ineffective, but even at games played he's averaging 8.75 sacks/16 games played.

Lastly, if there is any opportunity that he recaptures some of his '13/'14 form, the upside here is just immense.  The draft pick compensation wasn't huge, and the dead cap is 100% zero if they cut him at any time over the next 2 years so the risk is really not that great.

Quinn is the perfect "slightly overpaid veteran" because he can change your season outlook and there's no cap risk long term.

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Agreed.  I won't be losing any sleep over GB not trading for a 3rd highly paid, veteran edge player who can't seem to stay healthy.

Having another highly paid veteran edge player gives you some flexibility in the draft, and reduces the snap counts of all 3 players.  When you have 3 fungible but effective players playing 2/3 of the snaps, you really have 2 full-time star players playing all the snaps.  To me, that's a perfect scenario, and kind of what we had with Peppers/Matthews/Perry. 

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

I like the deal for Miami.  Quinn had a regression a few years ago, but let's not forget that most of it was due to injury.  He's averaging .65 sacks per game started over the last 3 years (which doesn't include his number juicing 2013 19 sack season or his Pro Bowl 2014 10.5 sack season). Those numbers are 10.5 sacks per season extrapolated over 16 starts.

I'm using starts over games because I think it reflects his games played while injured and ineffective, but even at games played he's averaging 8.75 sacks/16 games played.

Lastly, if there is any opportunity that he recaptures some of his '13/'14 form, the upside here is just immense.  The draft pick compensation wasn't huge, and the dead cap is 100% zero if they cut him at any time over the next 2 years so the risk is really not that great.

Quinn is the perfect "slightly overpaid veteran" because he can change your season outlook and there's no cap risk long term.

Agree word for word with all of this. I'm not saying it's a bad move, just that I'm not seeing the difference between he and Perry. Only difference  I can see is that one's already here

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Agree word for word with all of this. I'm not saying it's a bad move, just that I'm not seeing the difference between he and Perry. Only difference  I can see is that one's already here

yeah, I just edited with some context around... if you sign quinn you get to reduce the snaps for all 3 guys Matthews/Quinn/Perry.

Maybe that helps keep them all healthy and all effective.

Ideally you start Quinn/Perry on base downs with Matthews playing some inside or rotating in.  Come 3rd down you can play all 3 with Matthews as your joker type LB.

Perry is the better run defender of him and Quinn.  And quinn has the better speed rush.

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Except that the history of RBs after 30 years old is pretty damn bad.  It's something that we've seen time and time again.  Why do you believe that Frank Gore is anything different?  And we're ignoring the fact that Gore has to agree to come to Green Bay knowing he's likely behind Jamaal Williams and Aaron Jones, something that likely won't happen.

Why he's different, he's 34 and rushed for over 900 yards, behind a sh-ty line.  Can he repeat that next year, I have no clue.  I am not ignoring anything, this is all just guys throwing around thoughts.  I realize that he would have to agree.  Just like all our wish lists of Free Agents that we want to sign, they have to want to sign with the Packers.   I just like to bounce different thoughts from different angles, this was one of them.  Most of the stuff we discuss in this forum likely won't happen, but it doesn't stop us.  Thanks!

Why spend money on a RB when we have 4 of them on rookie contracts, 3 of which have produced given opportunity? Gore would probably cost about the same as our entire RB group from last season.

Also, the Packers need to sign DickRod.  First, his name is DickRod.  You can't make that up, and if you did, then you would be 12 years old.  And second:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0vVqStvh_8

18 hours ago, cannondale said:

Rumor has it Cousins wants a 3 year 90 million fully guaranteed. I sure hope he doesn't get it

can't wait to see what cousins is gonna do to the QB market.  It's possible that he just finally breaks through this artificial ceiling that owners have imposed on QB salaries.

Until QBs start accounting for 25-30% of the cap, the best way to build a team will still be a QB who you draft and then pay long term.

Cousins getting paid is not good for GB since we have to pay Rodgers, but it's good for the parity and competition in the league and might allow for alternative roadmaps to success other than "highly paid veteran qb with good defense" as the playoff/superbowl formula.

Whichever team signs Cousins is gonna pay Aaron Rodgers money for Andy Dalton results

Kirk will deliver some good regular season games, put up some decent stats, but will lose vs the better teams in the playoffs

Archived