2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

8 minutes ago, Norm said:

Please cut Fackrell. Please. I'm so tired of this **** lol

I don't even want to cut Fackrell. He just shouldn't be the 4th option at EDGE rusher. He has other useful qualities but playing EDGE isn't one of them. We need a 5th guy anyways. I do wonder though who they had in mind to chop if they had landed Zettel...I'd have to imagine Crawford but Zook thinks he's the second coming because he made a tackle on ST against KC so who knows lol 

Moreover, the interest in Zettel suggests more 4-3 because he's not a stand-up guy anyways...Interesting to say the least. 

13 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It will just move to someone else.

Get used to it. The days of our GM doing nothing between September and January are over. Gute is making an effort to improve the team even if it is just players 50-53 on the roster. What is there to complain about? 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Get used to it. The days of our GM doing nothing between September and January are over. Gute is making an effort to improve the team even if it is just players 50-53 on the roster. What is there to complain about? 

For me? There's nothing to complain about. I'm ready to kick the Bears ***.

There seems to be a whole lot of complaining however.

3 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

As I have thought about this issue more, I arrived at the question - Are the Packers moving way from converted defensive ends for their linebackers?

The only two right now are Perry and Gilbert.  He has Donnerson on the practice squad to develop as a backup to those two?

This, in addition to Fackrell's effectiveness on special teams is why I give Fackrell the benefit of the doubt over the guys listed in the thread.

Capers 3-4 had morphed over time to a poor man's 4-3 that was totally dependent on 2 OLB's that were really undersized 4-3 ends for pass rush which meant that he lost all the deception of the 3-4 that I believe is the key to it being successful.  

I think that clouds our perceptions of needs right now.  My hope is that Pettine has a plan that puts players into assignments that match their skill sets, and then guys like Fackrell make more sense.  If the backers can all play in space, then he can vary who is coming, and where they are coming from, and have more success without having to be too dependent on two guys.

Good post.  I'm not sure I'm tracking exactly, though? 

• Of the 6 guys that Gute referred to as OLB, four of them are college DE:  both Perry and Gilbert on the 53, and both Donnerson and Looney on the 63. 
  • And Donnerson and Looney are the new pickups, after Pettine was hired; whereas they didn't really pick up any Fackrell-style guys.  
  • So I don't know what to make of it. 

Like you say, what's the difference between a 4-3 and Capers 2DL+2OLB sets, other than than having the OLB standing up? 

In many ways, I see the DL-OLB as a pretty much interchangeable continuum.  Fackell is on the "non-strong" end of that continuum; Looney in the heavier area; perhaps a Wilkerson could be included too on the big/strong end? 

As per Fackrell, snaps, run-defense challenge, and resting-Clay/Perry: 

• My guess is that Clay/Perry will *not* need to always be rest-replaced by an "OLB" (Gilbert or Fackrell)  
  • I think a lot of plays where you want to rest Clay or Perry, that Pettine may instead replace them with a DL (Adams or Lowry or Wilkerson) rather than by Fackrell. 
  • At least, on downs with concerns about Fackrell's run-defense.  
  • On other downs where you don't expect a run,  perhaps they'll think Fackrell's mobility will make him worth playing ahead of a DL.    
  • Since the biggest worry with Fackrell is run defense, I just think they'll avoid giving him set-the-edge run responsibilities, or using him in packages where his weakness in run defense is exposed.  

31 minutes ago, craig said:

Good post.  I'm not sure I'm tracking exactly, though? 

• Of the 6 guys that Gute referred to as OLB, four of them are college DE:  both Perry and Gilbert on the 53, and both Donnerson and Looney on the 63. 
  • And Donnerson and Looney are the new pickups, after Pettine was hired; whereas they didn't really pick up any Fackrell-style guys.  
  • So I don't know what to make of it. 

Like you say, what's the difference between a 4-3 and Capers 2DL+2OLB sets, other than than having the OLB standing up? 

In many ways, I see the DL-OLB as a pretty much interchangeable continuum.  Fackell is on the "non-strong" end of that continuum; Looney in the heavier area; perhaps a Wilkerson could be included too on the big/strong end? 

As per Fackrell, snaps, run-defense challenge, and resting-Clay/Perry: 

• My guess is that Clay/Perry will *not* need to always be rest-replaced by an "OLB" (Gilbert or Fackrell)  
  • I think a lot of plays where you want to rest Clay or Perry, that Pettine may instead replace them with a DL (Adams or Lowry or Wilkerson) rather than by Fackrell. 
  • At least, on downs with concerns about Fackrell's run-defense.  
  • On other downs where you don't expect a run,  perhaps they'll think Fackrell's mobility will make him worth playing ahead of a DL.    
  • Since the biggest worry with Fackrell is run defense, I just think they'll avoid giving him set-the-edge run responsibilities, or using him in packages where his weakness in run defense is exposed.  

The biggest issue with Fackrell is he can't rush the passer. He's entirely mediocre in run defense.

Historically Pettine's splits his nickel reps about 50/50 between 3 DL and 2 DL. In a lot of those 3 DL looks, you have a traditional OLB (Like Clay or Fackrell) playing one of the ILB spots. 

There are gonna be reps for guys.

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Packers wanted Zettel. This gives me hope that a move for a pass rusher is still forth-coming. 

Thanks for posting, this is an interesting development for several reasons.

For instance, the fact the Vikings also put in a claim for Zettel is noteworthy on a couple of grounds.

First, it means the Vikings are still a bit nervous about their own pass rushing depth behind Griffen & Hunter. I know they like Weatherley quite a bit, but they also know the D as a whole declined quite a bit after Griffen got injured/was rendered less effective last season. That D was mostly injury free in 2017 and if there is not much rush behind the front line DEs for the Vikings an injury to Hunter or Griffen could be devastating.

In addition, the fact that Zimmer, who has seen Zettel in the division the past two years, put in a claim on him is a pretty good indicator that he had some pass rushing ability. Oh well, nothing to be done about Cleveland being at the front of the waiver wire line.

Another intriguing thing is that by  putting in a claim for a DE it might, as others have noted, be further evidence of the Packers intent to move away from relying so heavily upon OLBs (or at least the 4th OLBer) to generate a pass rush.

Finally, and perhaps most encouragingly, at least we know Gute is dialed in to the issue and looking to upgrade the talent.

I don't give a **** about other teams 4th string OLB. But if my teams 4th string OLB smells like ****, looks like ****, well, then he must be ****. And I'm flushing that **** down the toilet and taking another. 

Especially when you consider...our depth at OLB is a lot more important than most teams in the league, given our injury prone starters. We're going to be relying on our backups *knock on wood* a lot more than others. 

Gosh I love da packers. 

3 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

So you're going to dig in the outhouse and expect to not grab ****? Because other **** is better than the **** currently in your hand??

Bold move, Cotton.

I lived in an old historic western mining town once.  We used to dig under old outhouses to find amazing treasurers - coins, gold, bottles still full of whiskey and opium.  Some of these treasures fetched hundreds, even thousands of dollars in value.  Turns out the miners back in the day used to stumble into the outhouses and drop lots of valuable things in the sh!tters.  Somewhere in this story is a valuable lesson, but you'll have to pick through the sh!t to get it.

Archived