2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

13 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

Landry traded to Cleveland... Wonder if they checked in on Cobb at all?

Landry was on the tag with the Dolphins needing to trade him for cap reasons. And he is younger. And he is better. I doubt they cared about Cobb

Cleveland Browns give up 2 draft picks for 25 years old slot Jarvis Landry taking on his $15m one year tender if they don't manage to negotiate his extension.

Randall Cobb is 27 years old and is currently on $8.6m for the final year of his contract. He's someone who is absolutely a trade candidate and Landry is proof that Cobb can be traded. I wonder if we ever tried to trade him to the Browns?

Right now in the immediate short term we are fine but in the long term our receiving outlook is bleak once Nelson and Cobb moves on. With only Adams as the long term answer we still got to deal with WR2, WR3 and TE.

Look how the Rams signed Peters and Talib combined for less than Truman's franchise tag last year. We can take the same approach at WR. Reduce our costs whilst retaining enough quality in the position. Trading Cobb and trying to sign someone like Moncrief or Richardson on the cheap might be the way to go. Wille Snead is a sneaky option depending what kind of tender he will get.

Look at the post above yours, Chili.  Outside of GB, no one knows Cobb like Cleveland does...and they preferred Landry and that contract.  That should be very, very telling.

Agree, though, that they have to start building that unit back up.  

14 minutes ago, Chili said:

Cleveland Browns give up 2 draft picks for 25 years old slot Jarvis Landry taking on his $15m one year tender if they don't manage to negotiate his extension.

Randall Cobb is 27 years old and is currently on $8.6m for the final year of his contract. He's someone who is absolutely a trade candidate and Landry is proof that Cobb can be traded. I wonder if we ever tried to trade him to the Browns?

Right now in the immediate short term we are fine but in the long term our receiving outlook is bleak once Nelson and Cobb moves on. With only Adams as the long term answer we still got to deal with WR2, WR3 and TE.

Look how the Rams signed Peters and Talib combined for less than Truman's franchise tag last year. We can take the same approach at WR. Reduce our costs whilst retaining enough quality in the position. Trading Cobb and trying to sign someone like Moncrief or Richardson on the cheap might be the way to go. Wille Snead is a sneaky option depending what kind of tender he will get.

Landry has had significantly more production than Cobb and done so with much less at QB throwing him the ball.  Maybe that is a function of the offense system in MIA vs GB.

5 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

...re: dead money.  Don't worry about whether you have dead money on the books or not.  Sunk costs are sunk costs... you don't pay attention to them.  If the decision is whether to cut cobb to sign a better player for less or the same... then do that.  Don't worry about there being 2.5M in dead money because you still save money by cutting him.  Same goes for Jordy or Bulaga.

1.  Agree totally.  :)  Doesn't make much sense to carry Jordy at $12.5 cap hit in order to avoid having $2.3 dead cap.

2.  One poster was wanting a 3-year for Jordy.  I'd think a 2-year would make better sense, but it better be pretty low.  I think he's pretty done, and will just be a vet getting by on veteran craftiness.  No way I want to commit 3 years to a guy who's already kinda done.

3.  I certainly don't want to keep him at the $12.5 cap hit.  I'm not sure even spreading that same money over two years is all that good value.  But I see Jordy as totally the obvious place to save some cash.  Think he's ready to do that (based on previous comments, and that his wife probably doesn't want to move; and based also on that I doubt anybody else in the league would scout him favorably enough to want to pay him anything much.)  So I think his options are:  a.  Retire rather than significantly restructure; b.  Decline re-structure, and sign elsewhere for pretty cheap; or c.  Take pretty cheap restructure from Packers.  

4.  Don't think Cobb is going to be asked to restructure, or that he'll really need to accept if the Packers push it.  Given his age, he'd still get an excellent contract on the open market, so I'm not sure the Packers have great leverage to get him to restructure.  I think he may still have some good football left in him, if both he and Aaron could both stay healthy together for the full season.  *IF* he wants to extend, I'd be willing to extend/restructure.  But at reduce per-year, obviously.

5.  Don't think it's necessarily best to focus on $$-per-position.  It was argued that too much $$$ is invested on offense, so how can the defense thrive?  But the flip could be made, all high draft picks are always spend on defense, so how can the offense survive?  I think the reality is that if the Packers are going to go deep, they need the offense to excel.  Of course the defense needs to get better, and not be near the bottom of the league; but I don't think we have any chance to show up with a top-3-in-league defense, either.  If we're going to win big, I think the offense needs to be REALLY good, like top 3 or top 5 (maybe #1?).  And as good as Aaron is, I think he needs some weapons to throw to.  So I think continuing to spend, whether money or a 2nd-day draft pick, to try to get the receiver group not so slow and not so limited, might be good use of resources.  

6.  Also think Rodgers has a reputation among players.  I think a FA might *WANT* to come and play with Rodgers, more than a FA is just drooling to say "Can I get on the same backfield with HaHa and Randall!" or "I just want to go GB so I can play with Perry and Ryan and Martinez!"  Green Bay might be an appealing destination for a pass-catcher, in a way it might not be for any other type of guy.  

A healthy, young Sherman is world class.  A recently injured (twice) Sherman is still an upgrade in this Packer’s defense.  Screw it, sign the guy and let King learn from one of the best, and maybe even obtain a bit of an edgy attitude in the process.

My dream now for our secondary is that we do get Sherm and that they go out and get Pierre Desir who played better than Vonata Davies in Indy, he'll will be a relatively cheap free agent and a player who is on the ascendency, he has played for Pet before, as well as being 6ft 2. That's then three large corners. And to top it all off get Revis. Another Pet boy and who actually played alright as the third CB in Kansas last year. Ohhh....

5 hours ago, packerrfan74 said:

Could be just what HaHa needs.

A trade is just what HaHa needs.  I believe in Clinton-Dix, but since we just traded Randall, we need that 6 million from trading Clinton-Dix to replace Randall.  Think it would be easier to replace Clinton-Dix than it will be to replace Randall. 

17 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

A trade is just what HaHa needs.  I believe in Clinton-Dix, but since we just traded Randall, we need that 6 million from trading Clinton-Dix to replace Randall.  Think it would be easier to replace Clinton-Dix than it will be to replace Randall. 

We don't have any other safeties. We need HHCD to bounce back under Pettine, now that Capers is done ******* with his head. 

The money needed to go sign some players is there....with Cobb and Nelson. They are two of the most overpaid players in the league. We need to pull those triggers, try to restructure both (significantly), if one or both say no, say bye bye.

Archived