Al's 2018 NFL Mock Draft 1.0 (Please Leave Comments for Your Team)

AlNFL19

Edmunds is indeed a popular pick for the 49ers and will probably become an even more popular selection with Foster's issues. I'm okay with the pick, not in love with it yet. Ward and Jackson also make sense. 

I like Gallup, but honestly, with the addition of Graham, I don't know that we would do that. We are pretty happy with the receiving weapons so far as we know - Garcon will be back and healthy, Goodwin had a nice year as the #2, and Taylor is a lock at the slot position. The one weakness we have is in the red zone, and we addressed that with your free agent selection of Graham. There's just more pressing needs than a wide receiver here. A guard, pass rusher and cornerback are all much higher on the priority list than a wide receiver would be at this juncture. 

35 minutes ago, AlNFL19 said:

@BrownsDog23 @Bonanza23 @MWil23 @Mastercheddaar @NudeTayne @mlucas12002

To all the Browns fans - if you drafted Darnold at one and the next two were Rosen and Chubb, would you trade down or grab Barkley? If it was Barkley and Chubb taken after would you trade down? I don’t want to screw up the second try for what should theoretically be the easiest team to get right (I mean, no. 1 pick and no. 4 pick? I better not mess that up again). Or would any of you prefer Rosen to Darnold despite his comments about not wanting to play in Cleveland?

Barkley. 100%. I personally would even consider trading up from 4 to 3 to make sure to get him. 

56 minutes ago, AlNFL19 said:

To all the Browns fans - if you drafted Darnold at one and the next two were Rosen and Chubb, would you trade down or grab Barkley? If it was Barkley and Chubb taken after would you trade down? I don’t want to screw up the second try for what should theoretically be the easiest team to get right (I mean, no. 1 pick and no. 4 pick? I better not mess that up again). Or would any of you prefer Rosen to Darnold despite his comments about not wanting to play in Cleveland?

Just go Darnold with #1. He has the best potential of any of them and will not be expected to start. Just make sure we get a bridge QB if you are doing a FA Mock. 

As for #4 - If Barkley is there, I'd take him in a heartbeat. Chubb would be a good consultation prize. Trading back wouldn't be a bad idea either. I'd ask for a king's ransom though. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

1 hour ago, AlNFL19 said:

I would be semi ok taking Barkley. But in that first instance I’d hope the Jets or Broncos want to trade up with us for a qb. If both Barkley and Chubb are gone I definitely try to trade down. 

If we draft Darnold the rest of the draft is pure gravy. 

Look, I'm an Isaiah Wynn supporter and Aaron Kromer's blocking scheme puts a greater emphasis on guard-play than tackle-play... but with the Rams not having a 2nd round pick, you have them taking a position wherein they had two above-average contributors last season?  That just doesn't make sense, unless you think Wynn is Zack Martin incarnate and not only am I not convinced he's that, but he lacks the size that Kromer tends to prefer in his guards.

Meanwhile, they've got an undersized and ideally-rotational guy with one year remaining no his contract in Ethan Westbrooks playing NT and you have them passing on someone like DaRon Payne who projects as a 3-down NT (which is something Wade Phillips has always tried to field when he can).

Guard is certainly a big need for the Lions, and I love Billy Price, but the Lions are kind of in a "win-now" mode and I doubt they want to have another rookie on the OL. I think they likely end up signing someone in free agency to play left guard for them, keep Glasgow at center where he's better, and then draft a DT in the 1st. DT is another huge need for the Lions and investing a 1st round pick there makes sense. Even if they bring back Haloti Ngata they will need another quality DT in the rotation for this year and will likely need to replace Ngata moving forward. Da'Ron Payne would be a great pick for the Lions. 

Runningback is also a need for the Lions, but I don't see them drafting one as early as the 2nd round. Abdullah and Riddick are still fine players, and the run game should improve with the upgrade on the OL and the implementation of a legitimate blocking scheme. The 4th round is a nice time for the Lions to target a RB. I would rather them target an edge defender here. In the new defense the Lions will need more stand-up edge rusher types. Someone like Hercules Mata'afa would be an interesting fit at that point in the draft as a guy who projects to stand up more in the NFL. Duke Ejiofor is a great value there in my mind as well, would be hard to pass on him. 

On 2/11/2018 at 11:26 PM, AlNFL19 said:

Top Notable Signings

6. New Orleans Saints sign CB Malcolm Butler.

First Round

27. New Orleans Saints - Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State - As I'm not a Saints fan, I'd be scared of this a little bit.

First off, kudos on the mock. Lots of interesting moves/trades/signings/picks. As requested at the beginning, I'll stick to comments on my team. With that said:

I am OK with the Butler signing as we need upgrades in the secondary. I, for one, like the CB2 currently (Ken Crawley). My only beef is he gets way too many DPI calls. Butler would most likely become CB2 in this scenario with Crawley going to CB3/nickel. So, I could live with this.

Goedert, to me,  is a very interesting choice as I think he would be a reach at number 27 and doesn't fulfill a bigger need. The Saints look to upgrade their LB corps here or DL. So, going wwith your mock, I'd trade down to top of 2nd or tail end of 1st and pick up a "need" and another pick.

3 hours ago, jcvoodoo said:

First off, kudos on the mock. Lots of interesting moves/trades/signings/picks. As requested at the beginning, I'll stick to comments on my team. With that said:

I am OK with the Butler signing as we need upgrades in the secondary. I, for one, like the CB2 currently (Ken Crawley). My only beef is he gets way too many DPI calls. Butler would most likely become CB2 in this scenario with Crawley going to CB3/nickel. So, I could live with this.

Goedert, to me,  is a very interesting choice as I think he would be a reach at number 27 and doesn't fulfill a bigger need. The Saints look to upgrade their LB corps here or DL. So, going wwith your mock, I'd trade down to top of 2nd or tail end of 1st and pick up a "need" and another pick.

32 minutes ago, KJtheWicked said:

I don’t really have a problem with the Steelers picks, but LeVeon Bell isn’t going anywhere.

Again, I used FanSpeak’s tool for free agents. That’s a computer simulation 

15 hours ago, AlNFL19 said:

Again, I used FanSpeak’s tool for free agents. That’s a computer simulation 

I get it, I do. But, with every simulation, aren't there inputed variables? Perhaps I am reading to much into a comment, but you seem a bit agitated. If so, that was not my intention and please accept my apology.

9 hours ago, jcvoodoo said:

I get it, I do. But, with every simulation, aren't there inputed variables? Perhaps I am reading to much into a comment, but you seem a bit agitated. If so, that was not my intention and please accept my apology.

No I just mean the players who went elsewhere were random. :P 

On 2/11/2018 at 3:26 PM, AlNFL19 said:

7. San Francisco 49ers sign TE Jimmy Graham.

9. San Francisco 49ers - Tremaine Edmunds, OLB, Virginia Tech - This seems to be a popular pick, and the 49ers could use an athletic linebacker. Edmunds can rush and can cover.

59. San Francisco 49ers (via New Orleans) - Michael Gallup, WR, Colorado - The NFL would take notice with Garoppolo throwing to Gallup and TE Jimmy Graham.

I love the direction you’re going here with the 49ers. With Garoppolo making everyone else better I don’t think they need to overpay a WR, Garçon, Goodwin, Taylor, Kittle is already a good group adding a Redzone Target like Graham, and a young WR like Gallup who can rotate in and eventually replace Garçon isn’t a bad idea. Drafting Tremaine Edmunds who is only 19 and can be molded into that SAM LB Spot, or if things go sour with Foster which I highly doubt they will release him, he can play MIKE, or he could replace Malcolm Smith at WILL. Now I’ve done one of these before and they’re very *Time Consuming* so I get that you aren’t going to slot every free agent to a team, some people don’t get that. I would love for the 49ers to add some Defensive pieces through Free Agency CB, EDGE, LB but I love the direction you are headed.

Archived