BDL Discussion Thread 2018

Jlash

23 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

So bidding is closed correct? I don't want to bid on anyone, just confirming.

New bids are yes. The existing bids still have to run their 48 hrs. I'll post the next weeks thread when I get home from work tomorrow afternoon.

OL and QB this week.

Free Agency Deal Grader:

1. RB Carlos Hyde - 6300/3 (2100 per) to Camden - Grade: B-

Pretty safe pick-up. Hyde figures to be the lead back, or at least get the biggest share of the carries in Cleveland and will be working with what should be a pretty solid OL and offense to open up opportunities. What stops this from being better is that the Browns did draft Chubb, who may take carries from him and supplant him next season if things go to plan for Cleveland, so Hyde probably would've been a better deal for just two years instead. 

2. WR Allen Hurns - 8205/3 (2735 per) to Portland Grade: C

Deal fits just as he should be entering him prime which is nice, and he could be locked down at a discount if he does perform but that's obviously the big question mark. He could be anywhere from the 1st to 4th option for the Cowboys this year and then you have to wonder, are you getting the Allen Hurns of 2015 or the one of 2016 & 2017. Portland's spent a fair bit this week and yet I don't see it as any better than it was before and that money could've been directed to either a player who'd provide a genuine improvement or more prudent depth signings. In isolation though this isn't particularly expensive and does offer I'm upside so I'm not going to completely **** on it either. 

3. WR Alshon Jeffery - 56748/6 (9458 per) to Ivory Coast - Grade: C+

Jeffery and Watkins to me were the only two guys you could truly call no.1 types in this FA WR class and fittingly they were the two highest paid. I like Alshon as a player and he offers that size on the outside and the ability to come down with contested catches, but there's no guarantees with his health and to be on a big WR who's got injury problems on such a long deal is a definite risk. He gives IC what they desperately lacked in that big bodied receiver so they're definitely an improved team with him, but again caught up in the same problem as Portland where that's a lot of cap committed for a team with some holes to improve. I think the money is about right and as far as 6 years go, it's not killer, it's just you hope he can live up to that contract for at least 3 years so it's a regular 3Down and not 3+ when the time comes. 

4. WR Jordan Matthews - 3600/3 (1200 per) to Gotham - Grade: C

Matthews has had a couple of good years but his fall from relevancy so quickly concerns me. He offers upside in the sense that he could become a decent starter again in the slot and as he's still young, there's the definite chance of improvement but with the way last year went and how cheaply he signed for this year, it appears he could be out of the league just as quickly as he's a performing starter at WR again.

5. WR Julian Edelman - 5502/2 (2751 per) to Rome - Grade: B+

Nifty work to pick up one of the best slot WRs in the game, just he does come with the age and injury risk. I think he'll be good for close to 1k yards if he stays on the field and it's a easy contract work with even if he does regress so all in all, a deal which made Rome better and was quite necessary while also serving as pretty good value. 

6. WR Marqise Lee - 13600/4 (3600 per) to Singapore - Grade: C

Similar concern as with Cole over how the roles within the Jags WR group will play out as Lee, even though he's got the most money invested in him out of them all, still isn't exactly guaranteed the lead role. Considering his age this is fine as he'll only hit 30 in the last year of the deal although 4 years for a guy that isn't guaranteed to be a long-term starter isn't ideal either. I think his best case if you get a consistent 800-900 a year BDL WR2 type and worst case is you're caught with a long-term deal for a guy who's only depth at best. End of the day it's a pretty average deal with no strong feelings either way from me. 

7. FB Kyle Juszczyk - 6300/3 (2100 per) to Singapore - Grade: F

I'm not going to take any stance on whether Juszczyk is the best FB in the league, I haven't a clue, but no fullback warrants a long-term deal of over $1,000 a year in the BDL. I can't picture any other FB being picked up for more than $700 per, so Jus will quite possibly be getting paid 3x more than any other FB and will be on a riskier, longer deal to boot. This is just difficult to justify from a number of perspectives and no matter how often Singapore plans to use him, I think it's very likely he would've been available in the tank for 700 or so on a safer one year deal. 

Edited by WFLukic
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, WFLukic said:

Free Agency Deal Grader:

3. WR Alshon Jeffery - 56748/6 (9458 per) to Ivory Coast - Grade: C+

Jeffery and Watkins to me were the only two guys you could truly call no.1 types in this FA WR class and fittingly they were the two highest paid. I like Alshon as a player and he offers that size on the outside and the ability to come down with contested catches, but there's no guarantees with his health and to be on a big WR who's got injury problems on such a long deal is a definite risk. He gives IC what they desperately lacked in that big bodied receiver so they're definitely an improved team with him, but again caught up in the same problem as Portland where that's a lot of cap committed for a team with some holes to improve. I think the money is about right and as far as 6 years go, it's not killer, it's just you hope he can live up to that contract for at least 3 years so it's a regular 3Down and not 3+ when the time comes. 

We needed to add a playmaker on offense and while it was a bit expensive, it was worthwhile to help our quarterbacks out. Hopefully he can stay healthy and live up to expectations. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, WFLukic said:

Free Agency Deal Grader:

7. FB Kyle Juszczyk - 6300/3 (2100 per) to Singapore - Grade: F

I'm not going to take any stance on whether Juszczyk is the best FB in the league, I haven't a clue, but no fullback warrants a long-term deal of over $1,000 a year in the BDL. I can't picture any other FB being picked up for more than $700 per, so Jus will quite possibly be getting paid 3x more than any other FB and will be on a riskier, longer deal to boot. This is just difficult to justify from a number of perspectives and no matter how often Singapore plans to use him, I think it's very likely he would've been available in the tank for 700 or so on a safer one year deal. 

Here are my Fullback numbers from over the years.

2012 - Bruce Miller, Michael Bush, John Kuhn, Lousaka Polite, Jason Snelling Total Cap = $5,750

2013 - Mike Tolbert, Bruce Miller Total Cap = $2,425

2014 - Mike Tolbert, Legarette Blount Total Cap = $3,020

2015 - Marcel Reece, Trey Millard Total Cap = $875

2016 - NA ran mostly 12 personel

2017 - NA ran mostly 11 personel

I went away from using a FB a few years ago but with my TE situation it makes sense this year and going forward. Everything that is old is new again.

$2,100 a year is a bargain IMO. I'd rather lock a starter up for a few years especially one that averaged 9.5 yds a rec last year learning a new offense.

I may add another fullback either in the tank or Waivers if I can get a few more roster spots through IR.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SkunkApes said:

I think we can remove Thad Lewis from the FA list, lol.

I've actually been culling some of the FA list in my free time. FB and TE's are done. If anyone wants to send me a list of guys no longer on teams I'll update them eventually.

4 hours ago, SirA1 said:

I've actually been culling some of the FA list in my free time. FB and TE's are done. If anyone wants to send me a list of guys no longer on teams I'll update them eventually.

This was a joke because I work with Thad, and he is definitely not interested in making a comeback.

• Like 1