BDL Discussion Thread 2018

Jlash

24 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Would the bye week and removal of week 17 require a vote, or something that the owners of BDL could just put into the rules?

Everything requires a vote. Democracy at work. Usually it ends up like IRL where not everyone is happy with the outcome.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, SirA1 said:

Everything requires a vote. Democracy at work. Usually it ends up like IRL where not everyone is happy with the outcome.

I'd like to officially submit the "Bring back special teams" thing to the winter owners meeting or spring meeting. 

Also I'd vote for a bye week or two, this month was hell from a scheduling perspective.

3 minutes ago, DingoLadd said:

I'd like to officially submit the "Bring back special teams" thing to the winter owners meeting or spring meeting. 

Also I'd vote for a bye week or two, this month was hell from a scheduling perspective.

I have long wanted special teams brought back.  

My suggestion would be making Thanksgiving week a BDL bye week.  Everything else would stay the same.  If we wanted to keep the same type of schedule, we could have week 4 of the preseason be week 1 for us.  It would be one initial week of awesome write up insanity.  

• Like 1

I'm happy to take an L this week because I didn't put forth the effort and Orlando's a great team (aprobably the best) who's players had an exceptional week, but some of the comments over the past few weeks/month really do confuse me.

Chris Harris Jr. is the best slot corner in the game and that's not really arguable while Gilmore and Fuller have both been amongst the best in the league this year, keeping up their strong play from the 2nd half of last year. Micah Hyde was an all-pro last year and while Buffalo hasn't been quite at the same level, he's still enjoying a strong year nonetheless. Tre Boston's not a great BDL level player or anything and we all know he's not a great tackler, but he excels deep in coverage and that's basically all he's asked to do - in that specific role he's probably middle of the league in BDL terms, not a liability or anything. 

Then on the defensive front Dee Ford, Jabaal Sheard and Jason-Pierre Paul have 25 sacks between them. Jurrell Casey and Sheldon Richardson are well known disruptive interior players. Sure it's not Singapore's DL, but it'll win consistently against all but the best offensive lines in the BDL. Linebackers aren't exactly a strength, but a combination of Trevathan, Barr, Burfict and Chung as a moneybacker isn't garbage either. 

Yet it seems that this team would have trouble stopping a lot of offenses, even when my 3rd CB would comfortably be the best CB on like half the teams. 

I have my gripes about the offense too, but admittedly the offensive line could be better and Brady could be playing better. With that said, we have the league's leading rusher and also 6 receivers in the top 50 in yards this season so there's no shortage of talent, and it's certainly comparable to Rome's offense which seems to be put in a class of its own. 

I can't imagine I'm seeing it so differently to everyone else, but some of the matches which I've won have been inexplicably close, as well as the loss last week or even back in week 2/3. I'd understand if I was peddling Kelvin Benjamin (sorry frogs haha) but these are genuinely some of the best players in the league and guys who were all-pros last year and will be this year. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MD4L said:

As someone who tries to include new wrinkles, I have been asking all year whether people read gameplans. We know @Hockey5djh doesn’t but his job and baby have a major impact there.

Shots fired. I legit read each game plan and make notes before voting. I don't check inactive reports and I generally don't let comments sway my vote but damn.

Also, commentary this week will be provided a little later.

11 hours ago, WFLukic said:

some of the comments over the past few weeks/month really do confuse me.

I realize this is more of a venting session than anything but I've heard the gamut of things about my players this season as well. Not everything people comment on about players is accurate. From complaints about DeForest Buckner not being a good DT, Ansah being "a disappointment this season" despite just getting healthy, Frank Clark being a bad pass rusher despite a current 10 sack season, calling my safeties the worst safeties in the BDL despite Swearinger putting together another top 5 PFF season and Weddle leading a revitalized Baltimore secondary despite missing Jimmy Smith most of the season, telling me Garcon would be a better starter than Josh Gordon or that Josh Gordon is garbage in general.

Bottom line, everyone gets crap about their players, ya just gotta put your best team forward and hope your gameplan is enough for the W.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MD4L said:

As someone who tries to include new wrinkles, I have been asking all year whether people read gameplans. We know @Hockey5djh doesn’t but his job and baby have a major impact there.

As a counter point, maybe do something to highlight the changes you're making. One blob of a paragraph with the names of players bolded isn't exactly appealing.

But again, it's everyone else.

1 minute ago, Jlash said:

As a counter point, maybe do something to highlight the changes you're making. One blob of a paragraph with the names of players bolded isn't exactly appealing.

But again, it's everyone else.

Yea i'll admit to that, I generally dislike the format of your gameplans @MD4L. I'm not sure what impact that has on my voting, if any, but i'll at least recognize it.