BDL Discussion Thread 2018

Jlash

50 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

So how do you guys determine which players to add to the player database?

I've got a list of at least 3000 names, when the current bdl list is about 2000.

Understanding how you guys operate would help me out.

I would say just use the player database we have and then we can add in the draft picks like we normally do after the draft. It saves time from having to worry about ST players and PS players and not matching up. That's one reason our list is smaller.

The FA list has never been the end all be all of the players available to sign or claim as waivers.

1 hour ago, SirA1 said:

I would say just use the player database we have and then we can add in the draft picks like we normally do after the draft. It saves time from having to worry about ST players and PS players and not matching up. That's one reason our list is smaller.

The FA list has never been the end all be all of the players available to sign or claim as waivers.

The problem with this is the automated shark tank, which we know works without freezing up or other issues, relies on having a complete fa listing to pull from.  Owners are provided a list of names and if the names aren't on that list, they won't have the option of adding them without notifying someone that has access to add them in.  

Right now I've trimmed the list of names down to about 2600, I'm still working on getting it down a little more but I don't think it's going to get down to what you are used to working with, without tossing out the automation of a shark tank being canned.

Let me know what you guys would like to do.  I've got about two weeks max before I have to pull off this project in order to have enough time to get my mock ready in time for its start.

• Like 1

Alright guys, I could really use some help.

I spent some time on this late last night and early morning and reducing the player database list and deleting some unneeded formulas as well as removed the irl contract info, but with the hyperlinks to the players contract info it isn't a must have.  It seems to be working now without crashing.

I've still got some additional pages that I don't need that can be deleted but I want to hold off on that until I find out if this is going to work for you guys.  

Some things you need to decide on.

1.   NFL Status
    1. In the previous model you guys included additional statuses that I'm not able to populate using the links to spotrac, items like did not report and suspended.  The only NFL Status that I can populate using this automation is Active, IR/PUP, RL FA and PS/Inactive.
  2. Because this system relies on the player name and position as the identifier, if a player changes position he'll report as inactive.  We can fix this by simply having you report these as you see them.  The spreadsheet guys can go in a correct the position to sync it.  This is typically about a hundred names in all, and would be less work to track this down if we were all looking out for it.
  3. The workbook is set to update every hour and on change.  So when it is doing this there is a good chance that the team rosters and fa list will disappear for about 5 minutes.  If it takes longer you may need to refresh the website.
  4. I'm going to attempt to put everything in one location rather than what I was trying to do before, this may help or hurt it will find out when its finished.

Please guys, get back to me asap.  Really trying to get this finished today if at all possible.

Thanks 

I've married the previous bdl database to this one already.  There might be some changes we need to make but it seems to be matched up right.  

@Ragnarok

@Jlash

@MD4L

@pheltzbahr

@Hockey5djh

@RuskieTitan

@Counselor

@WFLukic

@Whicker

@SwoleXmad

@bcb1213

@TedLavie

@SirA1

@DingoLadd

@PR

2 hours ago, ny92mike said:

1.   NFL Status
    1. In the previous model you guys included additional statuses that I'm not able to populate using the links to spotrac, items like did not report and suspended.  The only NFL Status that I can populate using this automation is Active, IR/PUP, RL FA and PS/Inactive.
  2. Because this system relies on the player name and position as the identifier, if a player changes position he'll report as inactive.  We can fix this by simply having you report these as you see them.  The spreadsheet guys can go in a correct the position to sync it.  This is typically about a hundred names in all, and would be less work to track this down if we were all looking out for it.
  3. The workbook is set to update every hour and on change.  So when it is doing this there is a good chance that the team rosters and fa list will disappear for about 5 minutes.  If it takes longer you may need to refresh the website.
  4. I'm going to attempt to put everything in one location rather than what I was trying to do before, this may help or hurt it will find out when its finished.

1. Those 4 should be fine with the latter 3 highlighted in red as they are today
2. Is there anyway that we can submit a "change request" to one of the excel guys if we see one of our guys incorrectly marked? This will help so that they burden isn't on you guys
3. That's fine
4. Let us know the results.

14 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

1. Those 4 should be fine with the latter 3 highlighted in red as they are today
2. Is there anyway that we can submit a "change request" to one of the excel guys if we see one of our guys incorrectly marked? This will help so that they burden isn't on you guys
3. That's fine
4. Let us know the results.

Appreciate you getting back with me, as for the rest of ya...You're lazy....haha.

So far so good.  I think we're good.

I think we can include another hidden column, that would allow changes, so I feel good about that workaround.

This is what I've got so far.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16x4Niq7iFbnFzL_XbNphuuZZWuLR7NKhkUl3b3detfc/edit?usp=sharing

I've only got the one team roster up.  Give it a look over and if we're cool with the look and data I'll set up the other rosters.

If you'd like to see more in the team roster let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Additional pages or anything else you'd like to see hit me up as well.

I still need to remove the roster status and reduce the contracts by a year, so it'll look like your old rosters for now.

Also, if you see a formula error or something doesn't look right let me know.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, ny92mike said:

Alright guys, I could really use some help.

I spent some time on this late last night and early morning and reducing the player database list and deleting some unneeded formulas as well as removed the irl contract info, but with the hyperlinks to the players contract info it isn't a must have.  It seems to be working now without crashing.

I've still got some additional pages that I don't need that can be deleted but I want to hold off on that until I find out if this is going to work for you guys.  

1.   NFL Status

Please guys, get back to me asap.  Really trying to get this finished today if at all possible.

Thanks 

I've married the previous bdl database to this one already.  There might be some changes we need to make but it seems to be matched up right.  

@Ragnarok

@Jlash

@MD4L

@pheltzbahr

@Hockey5djh

@RuskieTitan

@Counselor

@WFLukic

@Whicker

@SwoleXmad

@bcb1213

@TedLavie

@SirA1

@DingoLadd

@PR

Im ok with all of the above.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

I like it a lot. I think the salary by position tracker is pretty damn cool too. I don't like that you took away two of my draft picks, but I know I'll get those back when you do the sheets for real. Haha.

6 minutes ago, Jlash said:

I like it a lot. I think the salary by position tracker is pretty damn cool too. I don't like that you took away two of my draft picks, but I know I'll get those back when you do the sheets for real. Haha.

lol...I need the draft order so I can fix that.  It's linked to the draft board which hasn't been updated yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ny92mike said:

lol...I need the draft order so I can fix that.  It's linked to the draft board which hasn't been updated yet.

It's cool, I own Hawaii's 2nd and 5th rounders in addition to the ones you gave me. Hawaii just won the title, I'm not giving him any picks back!