HAPPY AJ MCCARRON DAY

mistakey

A QB room of McCarron, Darnold/Mayfield, Kizer is something I'd be worried about. I can't see any of them helping each other out.

Talent wise, it's the best we've had since our return, but it could really blow up. Although that's why the coaches get paid.

I would prefer a more experienced vet, but it's not like there's a lot of choice. Josh McCown would be better though at least.

5 hours ago, bruceb said:

He will go down with injury.

Wasn't it you who posted that he cannot be considered a bridge because he likely will not remain uninjured?

I never said it was the best move or the one I wanted or desired...just that Mccaron might not want to come here if there are other options without a rookie QB1 high pick on his heels.

I want Mccaron...think we'll get McCown.

i want Darnold...think we'll get Mayfield.

McCown and Mayfield...let the average at best times roll...

who are the possible suitors for AJ

He are the front runner and this is a year where there are actually a few guys around or available. 

AJ
Josh Mc
Cousins
?tyrod Taylor
the 4 guys in the draft.
all three minn guys could be an option. 
chase daniels 
Foles might be able to be pried away from the Eagles. 

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

who are the possible suitors for AJ

Every QB-less coach and FO that doesn't want to get canned for losing next year who also doesn't want to destroy their salary cap on a QB will be in the running for AJ.

There are 6 available/likely to be available QBs in the market that people will be vying for:

1. Kirk Cousins,

2. Case Keenum

3. Tyrod Taylor

4. AJ Mccarron

5. Josh McCown

6. Trevor Sieman

There are 6 QB-needy teams (teams with no clear QB1 under contract) that will be looking to the Free Agency market for a UFA veteran QB (some like the Giants will only look to the draft for a QB as they already have a vet QB1 bridge in place):

1. Arizona

2. Buffalo

3. Minnesota

4. Cleveland

5. Denver

6. Jets

-------------

I think the big name FAs like Keenum and Cousins will end up in Minnesota or Denver not sure who goes where.

------------

That leaves 4 teams in the hunt:

1. Arizona

2. Buffalo

3. Cleveland

4. Jets

Two of those teams (Cleveland and the Jets) will be looking toward the draft for a young QB1 which would probably deter AJ Mccarron from wanting to go to a place where the top 6 pick young QB is on their heels no matter what the previous good relationships formed with coaches (Hue and Zampese)

So, I'd say Mccarron goes to Arizona or to Buffalo.

----------

That means 1. Cleveland, 2. The Jets, and 3.Either Arizona/Buffalo depending on who gets Mccarron would be the remaining 3 teams that would be in the hunt for Tyrod, Sieman, and/or Josh McCown.

I'd say we'd probably end up with McCown out of that bunch.

Mccarron is the type of FA QB who will probably be chasing the money considering he hasn't earned very much yet.  

Just give the guy a 2-3 year deal with a lot guaranteed and overpay some.  Lock him up and lets get a guy in here that actually would be happy to play for Hue, overpay if we have to, draft our QB, and just go from there.  

One of these "quality" available FA QBs absolutely HAS to be on our roster this year.  It is imperative.  It HAS to happen.  So pay for it with the billion in cap space we have.

After having had a moment to think, the approach to bringing in a young veteran who wants the opportunity to be "the man" with a high draft choice in tow may be the smarter way to go as opposed to bringing in a true "bridge" QB.

You cover your bases on two fronts. I would still prefer Tyrod, but it is him or AJ, it doesn't matter. What if those guys show they are actually worth the contract you gave them? Win for the Browns. You still have the developing rookie in your back pocket - and the pressure to play him yesterday will not be there.

You and I both know with an aging true "bridge QB", the first time that he has a bad game - the rumblings are going to start "Has he hit the wall? Is there nothing left in the tank?" And more dangerously to be followed with - "Let's throw the kid out there and see what we got......."

Plus, if McCown does end up being the one - you cannot be blind to his injury history. Not if, but when McCown would be injured, you would be forced to play the rookie before he is ready. Do you turn back to Kizer then instead?

12 hours ago, DawgX said:

Why is that? Jimmy very well could still be pulling the strings, but it would make sense for Dorsey to sign him. He knows Hue and AJ are familiar with each other, and AJ would be a good bridge QB to have while whoever we draft sits and develops for a year or two.

Jimmy is obsessed with hue for some reason. If aj is brought in here he won’t be a bridge. He’ll cost starter money. And this is Haley’s offense now. Not hues. This would absolutely be a jimmy move. 

Archived