Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

2 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Dude has been behind some very good DEs his entire career. He had 3 sacks in only 7 games as a rookie then battled injury and when you are at the bottom of the depth chart you coaches move on quickly. He just turned 26. When a lot of UDFA/Late round guys who needed time to develop are just now figuring things out in the NFL. It is not like he has to play above his skill set either as the guy has always had the great athletic traits. Also we don't need a 10 sack a year guys as the 3rd DE that is just plain stupidity to think that is going to happen. Most teams cannot even get 2 guys to 10 sacks in a year. It is not like we are going to be pulling Garrett off the field for this guy and Ogbah will have more than his fair share as well.

God forbid we didn't sign Reggie White...

Hey man, I hope you're right. I like the optimism, but I'm just not going to get overly excited about a dude who's never topped three sacks in a season. I would love for him to prove me wrong, but I don't see this as being anything more than just a decent depth signing. We need a second legitimate pass rusher as Garrett seems to be the only one. I'm a big fan of Ogbah, but he hasn't exactly shown that he's a consistent pass rusher. He's just great against the run and has shown flashes of being a good pass rusher.

Jordy still has gas in the tank. He has played smart his whole career and protected his body. He's not going to blow the doors open, but he will be in the right spot at the right time and more than capable of setting up a defense. Gordon will be the deep threat and the playmaker. Jordy said in the media 2 weeks ago he's only playing 3 more years. He can bring championship vetereran leadership. That's something that core needs. Especially Gordon to become successful. 

8 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Yes because Carl Nassib and Chris Smith are identical players. I forgot. The have the same stats so they look the same and they play the same and they both have the same upside.

You’re right. They’re not the same. Nassib has almost the same amount of sacks as a guy who’s been in the league twice as many seasons as season him.

1 minute ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I would rather get Pryor than Nelson. I know he didn't have Rodgers for most of it but he put up just 450 yards in 15 games. Pryor sucked balls last year but we know what he can do here. 1k yards with no QB. Four years younger too, and probably hungrier. Nelson leaving Rodgers as his QB will not get up for the Browns' ambition.

I'd probably prefer Pryor too, especially since I'm guessing he'll come cheaper. But I'd be pretty happy with either one of them.

20 hours ago, Bernie's Curls said:

Thanks, hope the Phins' rebuild goes swimmingly as well. Do you think this is Tannehill's make or break year, or is there a desire in place to come up with a Mayfield this draft?

Both......If Tannehill has a bad season then we can walk away from him before The start of the 2019 league year with no money owed.  For this reason I’m sure we are looking for a QB early in this years draft that can sit and learn a year as our backup before taking over in 2019.

4 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

Really starting to worry. Still a lot of good guys left I just hope we don’t sit on our hands much longer. Chris Smith and Donald Stephenson aren’t anything to go crazy over 

Maybe we're just waiting for a couple of releases tomorrow. Suh, Mathieu etc.

A lot of people excited about a possible Trumaine Johnson signing....I think our excitement should be tempered some as while he is tough, a strong tackler, physical press man CB, his deep speed has really fallen off a cliff the last 3 years.

He was never a burner, but he gets beat badly in the vertical game.  He seemed like he had a groin injury on film last year.

You have to shade a safety to his side of the field at all times.

He plays with the competitive fire you love, but I'm not sure making him a top 4 paid CB in the league makes any sense at all unless the money is frontloaded so that we can cut him without much cap hit in 2 years when I predict his game will be in the trash range.

I'd love to make him the highest paid CB over 2 years if it gives us the cap flexibility in year 3.

Archived