Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

Like I thought didn’t think we’d want to pay for Johnson

Overpriced whatever he got 

Gaines makes a lot of sense 

Davon House as well

not sure what’s gonna come of Fuller doubt we get him though he’s gonna cost a lot 

deep corner draft we aren’t pressed 

2 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

E.J. Gaines        (26)
Prince Amukamara    (26)
Kyle Fuller        (26)
Darqueze Dennard    (26)
Morris Claiborne    (28)
Rashaan Melvin        (28)
Patrick Robinson    (30)

Dontae Johnson fits the mold of what has been targeted so far at only 26 and highly athletic

Terrance Mitchell isn't ultra athletic but fits the age range (26)

Also, Tramon Williams is a free agent.

1 minute ago, DizzyDean said:

I read a rumor last night that said we could potentially trade a day 3 pick for Eli Apple.  Thoughts?

It’s easy to say it’s no loss if he flops and we can just cut him, but the guy is a chump. No life skills and terrible attitude. As well as a mum that wants to be a celebrity.

We could do without the drama.

2 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

It’s easy to say it’s no loss if he flops and we can just cut him, but the guy is a chump. No life skills and terrible attitude. As well as a mum that wants to be a celebrity.

We could do without the drama.

For a Day 3 picks though I'd be okay with it. I doubt he turns into something but the gamble for a day 3 pick is worth it. The moment you sense a locker room cancer you cut the guy with no loss.

Rework his contract so it is fully guaranteed if he never talks to Josh Gordon and immediately voids if he does talk to Josh Gordon haha

I’m cool with the OT Chris Hubbard and DE Chris Smith signings. Solid depth possible hidden gems. I heard both their former teams were trying to resign them. Hopefully we can get something out of them. The Donald Stephenson one makes no sense. Hoping for 1 CB, 1 WR/RB, Duke extension, Landry Extension. Success 

IMO the moves so far are in trend with the direction of the NFL. 

Defensively, like the Eagles, without spending all the dough on DBs you can create a dominant front 7. With a lack of talent league wide at OL this mitigates whatever advantage teams have with multiple receivers. It is also sustainable longer considering DL can remain effective into their 30s in reduced roles.

Offensively, OT's aren't as available or as valuable anymore while OGs/Cs are more important. You look at Pitt, NE, and the most effective offenses against top defenses keep the inside clean and get it out fast. 

With these two keys, establish a QB, interior OL, and DL then just replenish ever other position through the draft in cycles.

17 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

I read a rumor last night that said we could potentially trade a day 3 pick for Eli Apple.  Thoughts?

I hate lazy players. Even if they're talented. I'd rather take a dude that's been arrested than a dude that's lazy. Even if he plays well in a contract year, are we going to give him a big contract? I don't want him here. Plus his own teammates apparently hate him. Pray to God we don't get him.

46 minutes ago, buno67 said:

He was a lot closer to bad than he was good. 

He is the kind of player Dorsey talked about. He wasn’t really a football player, he was still a project type player with high potential. 

Dorsey has brought in legit threats for him. Either time for him to crap or get off the pot 

I just don't see it. He was about as average as it gets last year. Not sure it was worth it to pay Hubbard that much unless he turns out to be well above average.

I like Johnson, but $15 million is a bit steep. Unless we can get Fuller (doubtful) or Gaines for a reasonable price, then I think the FO prefers to just address the need in the draft since this year's draft class is deep in CB talent.

5 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

I’m cool with the OT Chris Hubbard and DE Chris Smith signings. Solid depth possible hidden gems. I heard both their former teams were trying to resign them. Hopefully we can get something out of them. The Donald Stephenson one makes no sense. Hoping for 1 CB, 1 WR/RB, Duke extension, Landry Extension. Success 

Never heard of Chris Hubbard, but I like what I hear about him.

Chris Smith is extremely talented and still young. I like the signing as a backup DE. I never want to see Lavar Edwards or Nate Orchard on the field again unless they're on our division rivals.

Donald Stephenson makes perfect sense. He's a swing tackle backup making chump change. He can play all across the OL and won't ever start unless there's an emergency.

Archived