Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm wondering if we go after Mosely is the Ravens don't tag or extend him. He's going to be looking for a huge kuechly to deal I think, and we are the type of team that will give to him. He plugs into the middle, Warner goes to will, which he may be better suited for (I think the team didn't love Foster in the middle and calling plays). I wouldn't at all be surprised if he's there big money target we go for

Either that or just draft a LB in the 3rd. Doesn't really matter.  

I think more likely than to give Mosley the big money, they may give a smaller deal to someone like KJ Wright. 

Big money could go to Earl Thomas or faciliating a trade for Antonio Brown/OBJ. 

Hicks could be another target. 

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Either that or just draft a LB in the 3rd. Doesn't really matter.  

I think more likely than to give Mosley the big money, they may give a smaller deal to someone like KJ Wright. 

Big money could go to Earl Thomas or faciliating a trade for Antonio Brown/OBJ. 

Hicks could be another target. 

I've advocated for wright a couple of times, wouldn't mind that, though there's something to be said about Mosely and his youth, even if he is overrated.  Wright is starting to break down a bit. I think it really depends on how hard we will push for ET, what we think it odds are of grabbing him, etc. I don't know that brown changes much since he would require picks to acquire, making it even more likely that we have to do some things through FA. Mostly just feels to me like the type of guy we'd shell out big for. Just my own opinion though

I think the linebacker class this year is weak as all get out. Not sure we could take one in the third this year and think he could start day one successfully. Obviously possible, but I'm really quite down in the lb class. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I've advocated for wright a couple of times, wouldn't mind that, though there's something to be said about Mosely and his youth, even if he is overrated.  Wright is starting to break down a bit. I think it really depends on how hard we will push for ET, what we think it odds are of grabbing him, etc. I don't know that brown changes much since he would require picks to acquire, making it even more likely that we have to do some things through FA. Mostly just feels to me like the type of guy we'd shell out big for. Just my own opinion though

I think the linebacker class this year is weak as all get out. Not sure we could take one in the third this year and think he could start day one successfully. Obviously possible, but I'm really quite down in the lb class. 

I haven’t seen anyone from the LB class minus White is obviously a stud. But LB is a position the team has been really good at drafting going back to two or three different regimes. 

I wouldn't mind Mosely don't get me wrong. I just think the big money addition will be ET or the WRs I mentioned. And sure draft picks will be involved, but Brown/OBJ could be the big offseason addition. 

Can a team agree on a deal in March but then execute it after June 1? Like we saw what happened with Smith/Washington last year, but has there been any case of dragging a deal out that long before executing it? 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I haven’t seen anyone from the LB class minus White is obviously a stud. But LB is a position the team has been really good at drafting going back to two or three different regimes. 

I wouldn't mind Mosely don't get me wrong. I just think the big money addition will be ET or the WRs I mentioned. And sure draft picks will be involved, but Brown/OBJ could be the big offseason addition. 

Can a team agree on a deal in March but then execute it after June 1? Like we saw what happened with Smith/Washington last year, but has there been any case of dragging a deal out that long before executing it? 

I see no reason why you couldn't do that, though obviously you're running the risk of someone coming in and making the better offer. You can agree to it, but I don't think you can make it official / paperwork and have it count post june unless you actually do it afterward. We will get our answer in short order, I think. They are either going to trade him before 3/17 or they are going to wait until after June. I don't think that they will trade him in the days between 3/17 and june. 

Yeah, I wouldn't mind Mosely, but I agree that it's not the best use of our funds. I just can't shake the feeling that it would be the type of guy we went after hard. 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

I see no reason why you couldn't do that, though obviously you're running the risk of someone coming in and making the better offer. You can agree to it, but I don't think you can make it official / paperwork and have it count post june unless you actually do it afterward. We will get our answer in short order, I think. They are either going to trade him before 3/17 or they are going to wait until after June. I don't think that they will trade him in the days between 3/17 and june. 

Yeah, I wouldn't mind Mosely, but I agree that it's not the best use of our funds. I just can't shake the feeling that it would be the type of guy we went after hard. 

And really would have to be before the draft anyways so they can get picks for him this year opposed to next year. So if he gets moved, will definitely be before or during the draft. The post June 1 trade just isn't going to happen. 

28 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

And really would have to be before the draft anyways so they can get picks for him this year opposed to next year. So if he gets moved, will definitely be before or during the draft. The post June 1 trade just isn't going to happen. 

And if they are intent on trading him, it really makes more sense to trade him before 3/17 when they owe him 2.5 million. They trade him before then, it's another 2.5 million off the books for them since the other team would pick up his roster bonus. 

32. SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Richard Sherman’s presence could only do so much to prop up the league’s worst unit. The free agent corner only allowed 25 catches in 14 games this season, but injuries and a ton of busted coverages are why they still sit at the bottom. Eleven other players besides Sherman received at least 100 snaps in the secondary, and none graded higher than 66.7 overall.

So PFF ranked us last among secondaries in the league this year. And the mentioned ton of busted coverages as the reason why. I mean we already knew this as we had two big ones each game. That has to fall on Saleh. Desperately need to upgrade the FS spot and I'd like to add some corner depth as well. 

48 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So PFF ranked us last among secondaries in the league this year. And the mentioned ton of busted coverages as the reason why. I mean we already knew this as we had two big ones each game. That has to fall on Saleh. Desperately need to upgrade the FS spot and I'd like to add some corner depth as well. 

I believe that we cannot count on Tartt. If we go into next season expecting him to be a starter and play the whole year, like we did this year, like we've done with Jimmie Ward ever since he was drafted, we'll probably be disappointed once again. So yeah, we do believe someone to be THE guy. Then if that guy gets injured, maaaaybe Tartt won't and he will then be the guy. I don't mind him being plan B, or to have to go to plan C or D, if we at least tried a different plan A. Get Earl Thomas. Find a role for Tartt. Give him a hybrid role. Make him cover TEs, make him spy running QBs, something. Give him packages. But don't make him an integral part of the base defense. I do not trust him. At corner... I like Spoon and Moore. But I do not like Mabin and whoever else we've tried there. Is there an old guy we could bring in via FA? Someone who could still start, maybe, or that we wouldn't feel bad burying behind the two young guys, IF they happen to be playing better. Someone who will understand his role, and have enough skill still to push and compete. We need more competition, we need more leadership, we need less Mabin. 

And pass rush.

• Like 1