Draft Rumors

goldfishwars

4 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I think he's got more ceiling than Rosen does, but that's not a massive selling point.  Some people are probably really going to hate this comp, but I prefer to comp prospect-to-prospect not prospect-to-NFL player, and I see a lot of prospect Jay Cutler in Darnold.  Now, I think his career could take a different trajectory than Cutler's because he has a better attitude (and people do tend to forget that during his first years in Denver under Shanahan, Cutler was actually pretty darn good), but I feel like the end product you're getting if Sam hits the expected benchmarks (not all, but most) in his continued development is Matt Hasselbeck.

I always feel like people underrate how good of a prospect Cutler appeared to be coming out. Smart (I mean as a person...he always had questionable on the field decisions, some of which were chalked up to the talent disparity), Cannon for an Arm, tough as all get out...he was actually a prospect that I completely loved. Obviously, things happened in his NFL career, and he never quite made it to where I thought he was going to be, but as a prospect, I was super high on him. 

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I was under the impression that Miller was their tackle of choice.

I think that may have been people running a bit too out of control with giving Tom Cable more stroke than he probably has.  I'm willing to believe that he's convinced Gruden that they need  to address the tackle position really early (Carr's suffered two noteworthy injuries in as many seasons and they just guaranteed him a crap-ton of money).  And I'm willing to believe that Gruden, probably more so than most coaches, is guilty of the hubris that he can coach bad habits and develop anyone, but Gruden's a tape junkie and Miller's tape is just too polarizing for me to believe that he (and Reggie, however much stroke he still has) would prefer him over the guy with better tape and more hype (something else Gruden is prone to biting hard on).

14 minutes ago, The LBC said:

These Raiders/McGlinchey rumors will not die.  I hope for their sake there's a trade-back involved before it happens - though my gut tells me if they trade back more than about 3 or 4 spots McGlinchey may not be there.  For my amusement's sake, I hope it happens at #10.

That is so Gruden. Ultimately I think they wind up with an off-ball LB, because Gruden.

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I always feel like people underrate how good of a prospect Cutler appeared to be coming out. Smart (I mean as a person...he always had questionable on the field decisions, some of which were chalked up to the talent disparity), Cannon for an Arm, tough as all get out...he was actually a prospect that I completely loved. Obviously, things happened in his NFL career, and he never quite made it to where I thought he was going to be, but as a prospect, I was super high on him. 

Yeah, Darnold's arm is definitely not Cutler's, but I think it's more than sufficient.  Similarly, while I don't think he's a scheme-specific QB, I do believe that there are certain schemes (like it was with Cutler) that play much better to his abilities than others.

9 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Maybe I was reading too much in to Mora's comments about needing to challenge Rosen intellectually and that the Browns should take Darnold #1 overall...

He was saying to get the best out of Josh he needs to be pushed mentally and he didn’t think Cleveland was the best place for that. He wants Jeremy Bates to coach him which is why he said he hopes he ends up in New York with the New York Football Jets.

16 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Don't wish that on us. End of day, I get it... the Raiders currently don't have a starting RT and Penn is old and coming off injury. But value just won't be there.

99% of Raider fans will hate it. Until it happens, the 99% of Raider fans will be talking about he's the best OT in the class and we have to protect Carr lol. 

Baring a trade down, the Raiders pick is easy.... draft the best defensive player available, period. They need talent at every level of their defense.

Not that Reggie's exactly been great himself, outside of about 5-7 picks in his tenure, but my issue with believing the "just take the best defender" strategy will be carried through on is I just plain don't believe that Gruden - assuming he has the majority of the stroke... and I do believe that because I believe Mark has probably made that clear to McKenzie - isn't going to be selfish and want to have his first pick back be someone who will help feed his own ego/side of the ball (offense).

I agree the "best defender" is the approach that should be taken.  I just don't have a ton of faith in Gruden to do that and don't have a ton of faith that he hasn't been empowered as the ultimate decider.

Now Klis is plugged in - this is interesting.

My biggest fear would be gone.   No Allen.  Forget the Lynch part, it's who he's ruling out...and not ruling out.  Klis is directly plugged into the DEN FO (he called the Bolles pick at 1.20 around now last year IIRC).

The other interesting part - Rosen was said to be off our board.  Yet Klis only mentioned Allen as the guy he passes on.  That's really something if DEN was smoke-screening a wish to se Rosen fall. I'd love it, that way with a Mayfield-Barkley 1-2 order, we'd either get Darnold or Rosen (might still need to trade with CLE for 1.4 to make it happen for sure, as BUF could still move up to 1.4).

2 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

It sounds like Nelson is gonna be a Buc if he's there. If not, it'll be James. I haven't heard anything about trading down other than Licht has confirmed he's gotten calls.

Interesting. I thought with the signing of Marpet, you'd bypass Nelson. not sure he's there, but good to know he's not making it to the niners lol

28 minutes ago, The LBC said:

These Raiders/McGlinchey rumors will not die.  I hope for their sake there's a trade-back involved before it happens - though my gut tells me if they trade back more than about 3 or 4 spots McGlinchey may not be there.  For my amusement's sake, I hope it happens at #10.

DON'T.

6 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

It sounds like Nelson is gonna be a Buc if he's there. If not, it'll be James. I haven't heard anything about trading down other than Licht has confirmed he's gotten calls.

Assuming true...

1.) CLE - Baker Mayfield
2.) NYG - Saquon Barkley
3.) NYJ - Sam Darnold
4.) CLE - Bradley Chubb
5.) DEN - ??? (Trade Down)
6.) IND - ??? (Trade Down)
7.) TB - Quenton Nelson

Figures Chicago goes with a defender, San Francisco takes Edmunds, and Oakland goes OL.  I'd imagine Buffalo is one of the teams to trade up.  Miami and/or Arizona the other?

7 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Paige is NOT plugged in like Klis or Renck, but take this FWIW.  Personally, I'd vomit, given the CB/C-G talent still likely left on the board at 2.40.

Just out of curiosity, which centers are you projecting to be available there?  Because I won't be surprised Daniels, Ragnow, and possibly even Price are all gone by pick 40.

Just now, The LBC said:

Just out of curiosity, which centers are you projecting to be available there?  Because I won't be surprised Daniels, Ragnow, and possibly even Price are all gone by pick 40.

I figure 1 of those 3 will fall.  My money's on Price.   Although Price's updated medical could change that, he won't have any offseason strength and conditioning - which means he'll be way behind the strength curve for Year 1.   He'll just have rehabilitated the pec injury to be in playing shape, but not at peak strength, not even close.   That makes Year 1 more of a redshirt year.  

Archived