Draft Rumors

goldfishwars

Just now, CWood21 said:

IF NYG go with Darnold, then Jets likely take Rosen which would make more sense with the late Rosen-to-Jets rumors.  Cleveland at 4 has their choice of Chubb and Barkley, my guess is they'd stick with Chubb.  Denver could take Barkley as I believe @Broncofan said they would.  Indianapolis would trade down with Buffalo for Josh Allen.  Barkley slides to 7, and Tampa Bay probably rushes that pick to the podium.

We all knew CLE was going QB. The biggest question now is- do the Giants still go Chubb/Barkley with Darnold on the board? Giants are in the driver seat as to how this draft goes. I think they'd be crazy to pass on Darnold, but we will see.

Just now, minutemancl said:

We all knew CLE was going QB. The biggest question now is- do the Giants still go Chubb/Barkley with Darnold on the board? Giants are in the driver seat as to how this draft goes. I think they'd be crazy to pass on Darnold, but we will see.

Supposedly, the Giants top 3 were Darnold, Barkley, and Chubb in that order.  I think they'd be hard pressed to skip on Darnold, especially if it meant that the Jets got him.  If Darnold turns out to be the Jets' franchise QB, the Giants wouldn't hear the end of it.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

IF NYG go with Darnold, then Jets likely take Rosen which would make more sense with the late Rosen-to-Jets rumors.  Cleveland at 4 has their choice of Chubb and Barkley, my guess is they'd stick with Chubb.  Denver could take Barkley as I believe @Broncofan said they would.  Indianapolis would trade down with Buffalo for Josh Allen.  Barkley slides to 7, and Tampa Bay probably rushes that pick to the podium if Denver doesn't take Barkley there.

New update - the beat reporters from DEN said yesterday that Elway will now only stay at 1.5 if it's Darnold/Mayfield/Chubb, otherwise he'll look to trade down. 

Of course, it could all be smokescreen, but I think the premise would be that if CLE stands pat at 1.4 with Chubb, then BUF only gets Allen for sure if they trade with DEN, and probably has to give up 1.12 and 1.22 in that scenario, with ARI as a potential 2nd trade competitor.     Obviously, if Elway doesn't see a deal he thinks is a difference maker, then he could very well stand pat.   

BEST part about lying season - on Tuesday, DEN's beat reporter Klis put his top 5, with Rosen off the board entirely (no idea why), and Nelson not in the top 5.  Then yesterday, when asked if we didn't get a deal we liked, Klis said "then I think we take Nelson".   Contradicting his own take 1 day later.   One of those 2 is a team-issued lying season smokescreen.   Just can't tell which one lol.

Again, this could ALL be smokescreen, it's that time of year, but publishing a top 3 list wouldn't seem to increase Elway's leverage, so have to give it a lot of credence, given our beat reporters' track record with draft takes.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Supposedly, the Giants top 3 were Darnold, Barkley, and Chubb in that order.  I think they'd be hard pressed to skip on Darnold, especially if it meant that the Jets got him.  If Darnold turns out to be the Jets' franchise QB, the Giants wouldn't hear the end of it.

If they pass on Darnold, you know they are drinking the kool-aid that Eli has 2-3 good years left.  I do not see that at all, but that's the only reason. 

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

Hmmm

They've always been looking to trade down. The problem is finding a trading partner. The Broncos said they were looking to trade down, but is there any chance they want to move up? I don't see the Giants moving further back than 5. Moving back to 12 with the Bills or 23 with the Patriots or 14 with Cardinals seems out of the question to me IMO. There are only about 6 blue collar players in the draft this year.

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

New update - the beat reporters from DEN said yesterday that Elway will now only stay at 1.5 if it's Darnold/Mayfield/Chubb, otherwise he'll look to trade down. 

Of course, it could all be smokescreen, but I think the premise would be that if CLE stands pat at 1.4 with Chubb, then BUF only gets Allen for sure if they trade with DEN, and probably has to give up 1.12 and 1.22 in that scenario, with ARI as a potential 2nd trade competitor.   

Again, this could ALL be smokescreen, it's that time of year, but publishing a top 3 list wouldn't seem to increase Elway's leverage, so have to give it a lot of credence, given our beat reporters' track record with draft takes.

I'm convinced it'll be cheaper to move up with Indianapolis than it is with Denver.  But if Denver is serious about moving down, who else would move up?  I think Denver wants to fall in that 11-14 range.

If Browns choose Baker & Giants choose Barkley, I can see the Jets picking Rosen over Darnold due to fit and Browns trading that #4 pick for a boatload before that Broncos pick. 

I can see Buffalo coming up to 4 for Darnold.

Only way Browns wouldn't trade that pick is if Giants take Chubb, leaving Barkley there at 4. In that case, Broncos end up with Darnold.

Just my thinking as of now of course.

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

They've always been looking to trade down. The problem is finding a trading partner. The Broncos said they were looking to trade down, but is there any chance they want to move up? I don't see the Giants moving further back than 5. Moving back to 12 with the Bills or 23 with the Patriots or 14 with Cardinals seems out of the question to me IMO. There are only about 6 blue collar players in the draft this year.

If they want to trade down to 5 and still get either Chubb or Barkley, the question is - will they take less than book value?   Elway doesn't want to give up a 2019 1st for anyone, and he can't help being in win-now mode.  

Nothing happens until CLE picks 1.1, but that's the Q about a trade back scenario between NYG & DEN.   DEN will not pay book value for 1.2, even for Darnold.   Especially if they know NYG wants desperately to get either Barkley or Chubb.

Jordan Raanan on twitter hinting an hour ago that the Giants still take Saquon. Raanan is a lot of talk, but he normally has good info shortly before things happen. Plus, he's been extra cautious with draft news ever since he got burned by the Giants taking Engram last year.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm convinced it'll be cheaper to move up with Indianapolis than it is with Denver.  But if Denver is serious about moving down, who else would move up?  I think Denver wants to fall in that 11-14 range.

Remember what I said a while back that the DEN interview just left every option on the table?   I think that's still the case.

DEN gets an offer they can't pass up to move back into 12-15 range, they'll do it.   But has to come with either 2019 1st or 1.22.   

DEN gets an offer to move up for Darnold that doesn't cost them huge, they'll do it (knowing the leverage they apply is their 1.5 spot gets the other team the guy they still want).

DEN doesn't get enough on either end, they'll take Chubb/Nelson/Barkley at 1.5.   

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If they want to trade down to 5 and still get either Chubb or Barkley, the question is - will they take less than book value?   Elway doesn't want to give up a 2019 1st for anyone, and he can't help being in win-now mode.  

Nothing happens until CLE picks 1.1, but that's the Q about a trade back scenario between NYG & DEN.   DEN will not pay book value for 1.2, even for Darnold.   Especially if they know NYG wants desperately to get either Barkley or Chubb.

Moving up from 5 to 2 shouldn't take a future first, especially if the Giants are active sellers. 

Archived