49ers sign CB Richard Sherman

marky mark

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

Hahahahaha. That's one way to stick it to Seattle for not wanting to pay you I guess. Go to the team in your division with the hot young QB whose future looks bright. Seattle just might live to regret this.

Is Seattle even trying to win games next year?

5 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

Is Seattle even trying to win games next year?

They've got some underrated appeal. Wilson is still good enough for 5-7 wins. Just the talent and coaching have to elevate them to a higher level.

1 hour ago, ThirtyOne-EightyNine said:

Well that's the last place I wanted him to go. 

That's what you get for not wanting to pay him. As the old adage goes, you reap what you sow. 

But yeah, this is the Favre-MIN/GB situation all over again. The only real difference is Favre left on his own accord.

1 hour ago, ThirtyOne-EightyNine said:

Well that's the last place I wanted him to go. 

14 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

That's what you get for not wanting to pay him. As the old adage goes, you reap what you sow. 

But yeah, this is the Favre-MIN/GB situation all over again. The only real difference is Favre left on his own accord.

To be fair, @showtime really summarized why SEA moved on, and it's actually quite justifiable:

1 hour ago, showtime said:

I wanted the Seahawks to keep Richard Sherman just because of everything he has meant to the franchise and the community; however, his injury is extremely concerning.  It sucks seeing him go to a division rival, but I definitely think his best years are behind him.  With that said, it would not surprise me if he can recover from this injury and return to form as a great CB for a year or two.  Wishing him the best and hope he comes back full strength.

The recovery from Achilles rupture is a big problem for positions that require explosion and short-area quickness.   The Achilles is such a poorly-supplied area, that the injury is usually one due to wear and tear, like many football injuries.  But the poor blood flow and the relatively confined area means that healing often returns normal function, and a return to sports for casual athletes - but often with reduced power.  For a CB like Sherman, this is a huge problem.  Sure, there are great stories like Demaryius Thomas - but that was at age 23. Now you have Steve Smith - who came back and showed he still had it - but I'd argue he wasn't at his pre-injury level, just that good (and a bit of a genetic freak, IMO).   And while there are always advances people point to (PRP's, stem cells, HGH) - none of those really change the root problem - the circulation supply is so chronically poor to that area.

Sherman might be back to 100 percent despite all the above, but given where SEA was at, much like DEN and Talib, it was time to move on.  But in SEA's case, the risk of being less than his old self was far, far greater than DEN's was with Talib.  

Now, don't take this to say I'm down on SF signing him - if it's a 1-year guaranteed deal, for SF it's worth the risk.   I totally get it.  It didn't cost them picks - just money, which they have.  And if he's back, then they can keep playing him for 3 years.  I do think it would be an overpay to guarantee beyond 1 year, though, but we don't know the details.  I do think Lynch probably sold Sherman on returning to the Bay area, play in the West coast, and of course....get to play SEA 2x a year.    Hats off if that persuaded Sherman to sign for only 1 guaranteed year - we'll find out soon enough.

EDIT:  HOLY crap.  That is one team-friendly deal.   Tip my cap to Lynch, that's as low-risk as it gets.   Well done.

I think I was probably the only Seahawks fan on this board that wanted Richard Sherman back, even with all the money he was owed.  I'm just not a fan of breaking the defense up this upcoming season.  I wanted one more try with the whole crew.  Obviously that's not going to happen now and it's unfortunate because I really thought the Seahawks were a real playoff contender, barring everyone staying healthy.  They probably still are if they keep the rest of the team together, but the loss of Sherman is big because he was a leader and a great player.

Archived