Browns trade Danny Shelton to the Patriots

49erurtaza

19 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

Sashi didn't draft Shelton, Ray Farmer did.  He hasn't been worth the pick but I agree I hate this move.

Ah right gotcha on Farmer.  

I get all the Browns fans got excited that he started making moves.   And recognized he overpaid but in the name of changing the culture / brand.   The Randall trade a no brainer but man.  

Be careful what you wish for.  This makes such little sense but especially more so in the context of what they just did yesterday.  

1 minute ago, pnies20 said:

I'll help explain.

1. Shelton is very average. Played well at some points but LARGELY underwhelmed.

2. Larry Ogunjobi outplayed him last year. He's going to be pretty good. 

3. Shelton's 5th year option was not going to get picked up after this year.

4. Shelton was getting disgruntled.

So basically we got a. Future 3rd for a player they didn't really have any plans for anyways.

yep, he wasnt happy, his back up played  a lot better in limited snaps, he wasnt going to see that 5thyear, and the browns get a better return value then Browns fans would expect.

He is a solid 3/4 NT but the Browns are 4/3 now

Just now, Broncofan said:

I get all the Browns fans got excited that he started making moves.   And recognized he overpaid but in the name of changing the culture / brand.  

Be careful what you wish for.  This makes such little sense especially in the context of what they just did yesterday.  

makes sense that he had no future outside this year and that his back up played a lot better than him. So why invest a year when the browns wont pick up his 5th year option and will leave. They traded him a year before he walked in FA.

4 minutes ago, Eagles23 said:

Watched about 2-3 Browns games and didn't notice Shelton's impact on the field

Shelton doesn't put up flashy individual stats, but Cleveland's run defense was one of the best in the league last year and Shelton was a big reason why.

1 minute ago, DawgX said:

Shelton doesn't put up flashy individual stats, but Cleveland's run defense was one of the best in the league last year and Shelton was a big reason why.

Ogunjobi was better than Shelton last year. He should have a huge season being the starter now instead of the back up. Browns defense improved because depth was greathly improved and that the Browns switched from a 3/4 to a 4/3.

Just now, buno67 said:

Ogunjobi was better than Shelton last year. He should have a huge season being the starter now instead of the back up. Browns defense improved because depth was greathly improved and that the Browns switched from a 3/4 to a 4/3.

Shelton isnt making plays like this as the UT

20 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Ah right gotcha on Farmer.  

I get all the Browns fans got excited that he started making moves.   And recognized he overpaid but in the name of changing the culture / brand.   The Randall trade a no brainer but man.  

Be careful what you wish for.  This makes such little sense but especially more so in the context of what they just did yesterday.  

I'm good for sending away some.of our superfluous draft picks for some proven players given where we are at with our team.  I'm not as good with the opposite.

I get the arguments here why it made sense but I'd honestly rather just let Shelton play 1 more year keeping our LBs clean than lose him to swap a 5th this year and get a 3rd next.  It's too marginal.

Archived