Broncos Sign QB Case Keenum

elliot878

3 minutes ago, Counselor said:

They didn’t move up because of a gap between 3 and 4. There was no guarantee that one of the top 4 would be there at 6. They beat a division rival to move up to 3. Denver could have been the fourth spot for a QB right in front of them.

Entirely fair as part of the trade motivation - I did say as much in 2nd line of that paragraph FWIW.   But IND got more calls than just NYG.  The appeal of 1.3 clearly lies with both elements stated.  

Edited by Broncofan

2 hours ago, Counselor said:

So if someone was similar to Rod Smith or Chris Harris Jr you wouldn’t take them early? Oh please. Draft position has nothing to do with talent. Weak logic on your part. Baker is more talented than Keenum anyways.

Rod Smith and Chris Harris were/are great players. Case Keenum is not a great player by any objective measure, so no, I would not take a QB who compares favorably to a probably league average QB, if that were the comparison.

FWIW, I don't think Mayfield's comp is Keenum, I'm just saying if a players' career arc ends up as Case Keenum-esque, he's not #5 pick worthy.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Rod Smith and Chris Harris were/are great players. Case Keenum is not a great player by any objective measure, so no, I would not take a QB who compares favorably to a probably league average QB, if that were the comparison.

FWIW, I don't think Mayfield's comp is Keenum, I'm just saying if a players' career arc ends up as Case Keenum-esque, he's not #5 pick worthy.

I said he has a arch higher but some on here feel to pick and choose what is read.

19 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I said he has a arch higher but some on here feel to pick and choose what is read.

High arches?  Great, now we have to get him orthotics to keep playing.   How did Elway not know this?  

(Yes I realize that was a typo...just couldn't resist)

(Please highlight the entire post if you don't get the reference)

Edited by Broncofan

41 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

High arches?  Great, now we have to get him orthotics to keep playing.   How did Elway not know this?  

Means a lot of rolled ankles. 

48 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Realized if you highlight the entire post, it only works on a desktop/laptop, not a phone - so changed the font as above. :D

Edited by Broncofan

After the dust settled on the Kirk Cousins sweepstakes, his agent listed the teams that swung a sledgehammer. The Broncos weren’t one of them.

That’s the story as told by Mike McCartney to Peter King of SI.com. McCartney ran, as a practical matter, a silent auction for Cousins, with no guarantee that any offer made would result in a visit. The Vikings, Jets, and Cardinals ultimately put packages on the table.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/19/denver-never-made-kirk-cousins-an-offer/

16 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I don't know how you come to that conclusion. Darnold is going #1 overall, I feel pretty safe saying that. Rosen might go #2. Allen will go #3. If Baker Mayfield is similar to an undrafted player (Keenum) I want no part of him at 4.

Denver would be well served to take someone like Bradley Chubb. He's going to be incredible.

I think you're right on Darnold going to the Browns. That seems the most likely. I don't think they'll go Rosen because, even if he's taken it back or said it was misunderstood or whatever, you don't want the first 10 questions your shiny new No. 1 overall pick is asked some variation of, "why did you say you didn't want to play here?" Even though I think Rosen is the best QB, and certainly the most pro-ready, in this year's class, I think Darnold has almost as high of a ceiling and the same, safe, low-risk pick. 

The Giants really are the wild card. Do you they want to trade down and stock up with young, cheap talent for the future, do they want to take Eli's eventual successor even if it means he won't see the field for 2-3 years or do they take the best player in the draft to load up for a 2-3 year run? The Giants actually have a very talented roster and Shurmur was the No. 1 coaching candidate available. It's also New York, and it's the Giants, one of league's marquee franchises, not the Jets, a perennial laughing stock. In order of likelihood, I think its 1) trade down, 2) take Barkley, 3) take Rosen or Allen. 

The Jets at No. 3 just scream Baker Mayfield to me. Between his lust for the spotlight (anyone hear that he's making his own documentary about himself 9_9) and the fact that the Jets love to make headlines it just seems too perfect of a fit. The Browns can then take Chubb at No. 4 or trade down with someone whose worried we take Allen (or Rosen, if he makes it past No. 2). 

58 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The Jets at No. 3 just scream Baker Mayfield to me. Between his lust for the spotlight (anyone hear that he's making his own documentary about himself 9_9) and the fact that the Jets love to make headlines it just seems too perfect of a fit. The Browns can then take Chubb at No. 4 or trade down with someone whose worried we take Allen (or Rosen, if he makes it past No. 2). 

I'd put house money on Allen not making it to 1.5. If there's a QB that's ripe for a draft day fall, it'd have to be Rosen or Mayfield. If the NYJ don't go Allen, it's hard to imagine Buffalo (or Arizona) not trading up to 1.4 to snag him. Very rarely do those "Holy shi%, did that guy really just do that?' physical specimen-type prospects fall down the board. 

It seems to me that the sliders tend to be the highly productive college guys on the margin physically, with murmurs of ego/character concerns.

Edited by bMiller031

Next year's QB draft class is way better than this years.  I am okay not taking a QB this year, seeing what we have in the three QBs on the roster and then picking a guy up next year.  I'd spend the draft capital just loading up on talent along the trenches.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Next year's QB draft class is way better than this years.  I am okay not taking a QB this year, seeing what we have in the three QBs on the roster and then picking a guy up next year.  I'd spend the draft capital just loading up on talent along the trenches.  

No way of knowing who declares, but I don’t think next year’s class looks impressive at all and I think this year’s is the best in a long time.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

No way of knowing who declares, but I don’t think next year’s class looks impressive at all and I think this year’s is the best in a long time.

I don't know anything about next years but it seems to me people have been talking about this class for so long that it's almost getting over scrutinized.  These guys can ball

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

59 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

I don't know anything about next years but it seems to me people have been talking about this class for so long that it's almost getting over scrutinized.  These guys can ball

Right now, Drew Lock is the one QB who's gotten some attention - but even then, he's been recognized as having flaws that at the same stage, Rosen/Darnold were seen as having strengths.   Allen was seen as the raw but very physically talented guy, and Rudolph/Jackson all got hyped to possibly emerge (Rudolph actually was the most surprising IMO in the lack of helium given where he was at last year, really stayed at the same tier).   Rosen/Darnold have been getting 2018 top-of-the-draft love since mid-2016.   

But at this time of year, the QB class under comparison usually gets thrown under the microscope, and every flaw gets magnified.   Which is understandable, because teams don't want to mess up on a pick this important.   But it's always that the QB isn't as good as we thought, or there's some key flaw.   And the next statement that usually comes is "I much prefer next year's class to this year's".   But that's not happening this year, for good reason.   

Next year's class is void of top-end talent outside of Lock.   The college O's are just becoming more and more geared to schemes that do not translate or predict NFL success.    Lock is probably no better than the 4th-5th guy in this class when entering his final college year (assuming he comes out).    And after him, there's really no one else (the Michigan & NW kids are intriguing, but that's a lot of projection).   

A big reason why teams are going all-out this year, and you hear some teams like MIA & LAC & NE & JAX thinking QB (going later in Day 2/3 I could see for LAC) - this QB class, beyond the top 4-5, seems miles better than the 2019 class.     While I don't want Keenum to prevent us from getting a QBOTF this year at 1.5 if the right one is there - I don't have a problem if we're left out in the cold, if we play out Keenum's contract for 2019 if we don't get a rookie upgrade (remember, we can trade him and only lose 3M for 2019).   There's time for 1-2 guys to emerge, but man, it's underwhelming to say the least.

Jacob Eason will be good.  He left UGA for UW...where he is from and will get the chance to air it out more...big kid...strong arm...great attitude and work ethic.  He was the starter till he got hurt at UGA and Fromm came in and became all world freshman.  And, Eason didn't complain once about it.  Glad he gets his shot in UW...would love to see him as a Bronco.