The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

33 minutes ago, MD4L said:

$1.7 million asset that didn’t travel with the team. Gotta love it.

He should be in HS right now and Ohio State has 2 5* Quarterbacks who have actually practiced with the team all year in front of him.

Man some Buckeyes fans are spoiled man lol  Stroud is a monster of a talent and needed a whopping 2qtrs to get settled into his first start of his career. Jesus cut the kid some slack man, its like some people expected to see 3rd year Justin Fields out there throwing the ball tonight.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Man some Buckeyes fans are spoiled man lol  Stroud is a monster of a talent and needed a whopping 2qtrs to get settled into his first start of his career. Jesus cut the kid some slack man, its like some people expected to see 3rd year Justin Fields out there throwing the ball tonight.

Absolutely spoiled but why are you mad anyone isn't feeling his inaccuracies past 5 yards? Sure, he hit a couple of them but by a large margin, he missed a lot of easy throws beyond that yardage. That doesn't make me feel at ease but maybe it does you. This isn't expecting Fields, it's expecting more from a top talent. No denying he got better though as the game went on. Just hope it continues next week

48 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

He should be in HS right now and Ohio State has 2 5* Quarterbacks who have actually practiced with the team all year in front of him.

Justin Fields wasn’t getting paid millions until the NFL. Having $1.7 million on the bench chilling or not playing bc he’s not good enough to be QB1 will remain worth trolling and commenting about.

Edited by MD4L

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Absolutely spoiled but why are you mad anyone isn't feeling his inaccuracies past 5 yards? Sure, he hit a couple of them but by a large margin, he missed a lot of easy throws beyond that yardage. That doesn't make me feel at ease but maybe it does you. This isn't expecting Fields, it's expecting more from a top talent. No denying he got better though as the game went on. Just hope it continues next week

I mean, I chalk it up to it was his first college start--on the road--in the rain--in primetime. He had to be a liiiitle bit nervous out there. Its not like we were playing Eastern Michigan on a sunny day at home,

I'll give Stroud a little bit of a pass.  First collegiate start against a solid Minnesota team, on the road, at night, in the rain.  In the second half he went 5/8 and 4 of those went for touchdowns.  End of the day he averaged nearly 23 yards per completion.

Pretty clear to me that Miyan Williams will be RB1, and Henderson is going to eat more and more into Teague's playing time.  Teague is going to have to show more than that with the carries he gets to prevent being phased out.

The front 4 needs to get to the QB faster. We were spoiled with the Bosa's and Chase Young, but we should still expect a little more from the current group than what we saw.

• Like 1

A freshman...

Making his first ever start...

On the road...

In the rain...

At night...

In a packed environment...

Against a great head coach...

I mean, he had a monster second half and clearly still has a lot of room to grow. I'm not sure what the rest of you want or expect here.

You know who you should blame? A couple of upper classmen EDGE rushers who have been nothing short of a colossal disappointment setting the edge and rushing the passer. Or the fact that we were missing 2 starters at CB, and probably are out Proctor indefinitely. Or how about starting 3 new LB, and going against the best OL (arguably) in the B1G and one of/the best RB in the B1G.

AND THEY STILL COVERED THE SPREAD.

We don't have to be a playoff team yet...let's just get some wins and see how this team gels and progresses headed toward November/December.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, malibuspeedrace said:

I think this is very much an opinion we all have…..

I miss Hafley with ever ounce of my being….

should have given the Venebles treatment and made him happy enough that he never wanted to be HC

I miss him to but that defense he lead for a season was freaking loaded. Past two years we have struggled to pressure the QB, where he had a one man wrecking machine in Chase Young. He also had 2 first rd pick Corners and Wade not having to play out of position. I consider last year as a wash. Yeah last night was tough but it was also a tough season opener. He can totally redeem himself vs Oregon. I really hope he gets his ish together because I would hate to see him get fired because he was so good for the program before he went to the league 

Yeah Coombs has always been a good recruiter and coach of corner development. Second to none at developing corners into great players and first round picks. With that said, we haven’t yet seen this defense under him play well. Last year was a mulligan. So this is kind of put up or shut up for what we have. 

28 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

A freshman...

Making his first ever start...

On the road...

In the rain...

At night...

In a packed environment...

Against a great head coach...

I mean, he had a monster second half and clearly still has a lot of room to grow. I'm not sure what the rest of you want or expect here.

You know who you should blame? A couple of upper classmen EDGE rushers who have been nothing short of a colossal disappointment setting the edge and rushing the passer. Or the fact that we were missing 2 starters at CB, and probably are out Proctor indefinitely. Or how about starting 3 new LB, and going against the best OL (arguably) in the B1G and one of/the best RB in the B1G.

AND THEY STILL COVERED THE SPREAD.

We don't have to be a playoff team yet...let's just get some wins and see how this team gels and progresses headed toward November/December.

Yeah last night gave me strong ‘14 VT  vibes. It was a tough opener but it should make them prepared for Oregon next week.

I think everyone was just antsy because he was missing some easy throws. When you win a QB battle that competitive, expectations get set high. Also like the one graphic they showed, Haskins and Fields both had huge first career start games. So the fanbase has been spoiled

best thing was it was a great game vs a great coach who had Minny ready on both sides of the ball. Day and the staff better learn a lot from it. I think I would rather have season openers like that than vs a non P5 game

9 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Yeah Coombs has always been a good recruiter and coach of corner development. Second to none at developing corners into great players and first round picks. With that said, we haven’t yet seen this defense under him play well. Last year was a mulligan. So this is kind of put up or shut up for what we have. 

Idk last year after the Indiana game, they played pretty well down the stretch and played very well Vs Clemson. Title game was meaningless to me. That was an all time great offense Absolutely loaded with 1st rd talent there and I don’t see any one stopping that team.

7 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I mean, I chalk it up to it was his first college start--on the road--in the rain--in primetime. He had to be a liiiitle bit nervous out there. Its not like we were playing Eastern Michigan on a sunny day at home,

I hope you're right. He improved in the second half and got the ball to our guys who made plays and that's really all we need. There were some downright ugly throws though and I hope those don't come back lol

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

The front 4 needs to get to the QB faster. We were spoiled with the Bosa's and Chase Young, but we should still expect a little more from the current group than what we saw.

I'm annoying w/ Harrison living off his recruiting ranking. He did have a monster play for us last night but aside from that and a couple run stops, he was basically a non-factor like our pass rush in general. I'm not going to pretend I'm a Minn football guru but Gus did say they brought back a lot of linemen and I did see that everyone except one guy was a senior so hopefully it's more of an attribute to their OL being great and not our DL getting no pressure. Saw JTT in there a couple times though which made me happy

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I just expect a guy to hit wide open WRs b/c unfortunately this program has spoiled us enough where that's what we should expect. He missed some easy throws in the first half but was much better in the second half. I just hope this progression continues. I like your logic suggesting we don't need to be a playoff team now but I think you're a week off. We kinda do need them to be one next week but after that, yeah, we have a couple games to work some things out.