The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

12 hours ago, NateDawg said:

D is the worst I’ve seen. OL is awful. Playcalling is HS predictable. 

Trust me amigo, if you think the Buckeyes are predictable, go watch a USC game. Better yet, do yourself a favor: don’t. They’ve gotten worse since you dismantled them in the Cotton Bowl last season. They are dreadfully bad because of how poorly they’re coached.

Edited by plan9misfit

After last year, the committee is not letting a 2 loss team in the playoffs. So here’s where OSU stands imo.

We need Bama to go undefeated and beat Georgia, which is very likely. We would leap LSU and Georgia. That puts us at 7.

If we beat Michigan, that puts us at 6. 

The tricky part is next weekend. We need Oklahoma to lose at West Virginia. That would put us at 5.

It then comes down to us vs Washington State and I think we’d get chosen over them. Michigan is better than anybody they have faced.

Edited by candyman93

I don’t want us sneaking into the playoffs and getting beat like a Cherokee drum. I’ll lobby for them in years I think there’s a legit case to be made for them. Just find a way to spoil UMs run and call it a season. Hope to regroup in 2019. Being the 4 vs Bama with the current defense would be the ultimate sour end to the season the way it would play out. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I don’t want us sneaking into the playoffs and getting beat like a Cherokee drum. I’ll lobby for them in years I think there’s a legit case to be made for them. Just find a way to spoil UMs run and call it a season. Hope to regroup in 2019. Being the 4 vs Bama with the current defense would be the ultimate sour end to the season the way it would play out. 

What a loser mentality. I don’t want to make the playoffs cause I don’t want to lose to Bama. Who cares. Rather make the playoffs than win a meaningless bowl game. Also who the hell knows what happens when you have 3weeks to prepare for a team. Hell you also could get an over confident Bama team 

16 minutes ago, buno67 said:

What a loser mentality. I don’t want to make the playoffs cause I don’t want to lose to Bama. Who cares. Rather make the playoffs than win a meaningless bowl game. Also who the hell knows what happens when you have 3weeks to prepare for a team. Hell you also could get an over confident Bama team 

I’m a fan who has no control over the outcome. I’m a nonparticipant. Therefore, what you call a ‘loser mentality’ is me being a realist. As a player, it’s different. You can live in the clouds and think we would give Bama a game. Or, you can accept that they and a handful of others are way better than us this year due to us having one of the worst defenses in CFB. I’d rather go be competitive in a meaningless game than get embarrassed on the big stage and ruin our love from the committee on a year we don’t deserve it. We routinely allow insane yards and points to mid-tier opponents and could have several losses. This team is what it is at this point. I look forward to next year and hope to see some new faces out there on defense. 

Edited by NateDawg

This team isn’t one of the four best teams in the nation and doesn’t deserve a spot. Should they upset UM, have some other dominoes fall, and back into the playoffs, so be it. That said, I don’t see it happening. Notre Dame, Clemson, and Alabama are absolutely locks. OU would have to lose, and if Georgia upsets Alabama somehow then they are in and so is Alabama, just like last year two 1 loss SEC teams will be in it. I also wouldn’t be surprised (for right or for wrong) if the committee put UCF above OSU either. We haven’t beaten a single currently ranked team aside from PSU and lost by almost 30 to a mediocre to below average B1G team.

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

This team isn’t one of the four best teams in the nation and doesn’t deserve a spot. Should they upset UM, have some other dominoes fall, and back into the playoffs, so be it. That said, I don’t see it happening. Notre Dame, Clemson, and Alabama are absolutely locks. OU would have to lose, and if Georgia upsets Alabama somehow then they are in and so is Alabama, just like last year two 1 loss SEC teams will be in it. I also wouldn’t be surprised (for right or for wrong) if the committee put UCF above OSU either. We haven’t beaten a single currently ranked team and lost by almost 30 to a mediocre to below average B1G team.

I’d feel differently if the Purdue game was an anomaly. You may get a free pass for one absolute dud, even as bad as that was. The anomaly this year though has been when any resemblance of the silver bullets have come out. 

4 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I’d feel differently if the Purdue game was an anomaly. You may get a free pass for one absolute dud, even as bad as that was. The anomaly this year though has been when any resemblance of the silver bullets have come out. 

Judging from the Nebraska score we can ascertain that MSUs offense is hot garbage and has nothing to do with our defense improving. 

Shea and Higdon will run for 500 combined yards unless schematically something significantly changes in the next 4-5 days.

UM also has a phenomenal defense, especially against the pass.

This has all the makings of a disaster on paper...thankfully games aren’t played on paper, but still.

22 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Judging from the Nebraska score we can ascertain that MSUs offense is hot garbage and has nothing to do with our defense improving. 

Shea and Higdon will run for 500 combined yards unless schematically something significantly changes in the next 4-5 days.

UM also has a phenomenal defense, especially against the pass.

This has all the makings of a disaster on paper...thankfully games aren’t played on paper, but still.

Meh, as hard as I've been on this team there are some things we do well that can exploit their defense. I've studied Don Brown and it seem like he blitzes a lot on 3rd down because he isn't totally comfortable with a few of his DBs on the back end especially Kinnel and Metellus (who have been getting beat for years) and TBH, they call can be beat, Don't sleep on Haskins raising his game to another level, he has gotten a lot better on his intermediate/deep ball placement, this can be a really good match up for us. Also, Indiana showed that they can be run on, they had a really good gameplan, just didn't have the pieces to execute it.

We also have our Defensive line as an advantage to their offensive line, both of their tackles are a liability in the passing game, Chase Young could really have a big game if we can force them into 3rd and 5+ situations, and Jrue Chrisman on his A game is a game changer.

In short, we have 4  things that will give us a chance to win despite our poor individual coaching, Dwayne Haskins, our D Line, Drue Chrisman, Pride

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:43 AM, buno67 said:

I'm in between on both, the primal part of me agrees with you but I also understand what @NateDawgis talking about, I would be even more confident going forward because we do have a game changer at QB that can challenge them deep which has always been their Achilles heel, but I would also be more confident if we still had Tom Herman and Luke Fickell on this staff, we don't, we have pretty much failures who aren't ready for higher level scheming.

19 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Meh, as hard as I've been on this team there are some things we do well that can exploit their defense. I've studied Don Brown and it seem like he blitzes a lot on 3rd down because he isn't totally comfortable with a few of his DBs on the back end especially Kinnel and Metellus (who have been getting beat for years) and TBH, they call can be beat, Don't sleep on Haskins raising his game to another level, he has gotten a lot better on his intermediate/deep ball placement, this can be a really good match up for us. Also, Indiana showed that they can be run on, they had a really good gameplan, just didn't have the pieces to execute it.

I don't disagree with the above, but I'd also argue that Haskin's Achilles heel this year has been pressure in his face in terms of accuracy. I also hate our OT's and OG's against their DE/DT. Prince, Knox, and company against that DL is a nightmare in the passing game. Getting ahead of the sticks early is an absolute necessity. 3rd and long will be a disaster waiting to happen.

We also have our Defensive line as an advantage to their offensive line, both of their tackles are a liability in the passing game, Chase Young could really have a big game if we can force them into 3rd and 5+ situations, and Jrue Chrisman on his A game is a game changer.

The key is going to be to force them into 3rd and longs. I'm concerned that their running game is so good and versatile, that we are in trouble in that regard. This rush defense is absolutely horrific.

In short, we have 4  things that will give us a chance to win despite our poor individual coaching, Dwayne Haskins, our D Line, Drue Chrisman, Pride

I'd argue that we also have the mental edge and home-field advantage. It's a rivalry game, they haven't won in Columbus since 2000, Urban owns Harbaugh, and it's a winner take all game, with a team that also has found ways to win all year, save the abomination that was the Purdue game. They've also played tremendous football and their only loss is to an undefeated Top 5 team in Notre Dame.

Am I the only one that wants them to stop running Haskins and just realize that we should be running an offense closer to the Saints than what they've been trying to run the past few weeks.  Haskins isn't a runner.  He can scramble when a play breaks down, but it's just not his game to be an option QB.  I mean seriously the dude can sling the ball with the best of them why are we trying to run him and put him in a position to get hurt?  If you want to run the option, just play Martell.

9 minutes ago, Raves said:

Am I the only one that wants them to stop running Haskins and just realize that we should be running an offense closer to the Saints than what they've been trying to run the past few weeks.  Haskins isn't a runner.  He can scramble when a play breaks down, but it's just not his game to be an option QB.  I mean seriously the dude can sling the ball with the best of them why are we trying to run him and put him in a position to get hurt?  If you want to run the option, just play Martell.

Only thing I can think of having Haskins run is to put it in the heads of opposing defenses that if you get wreckless in your pass rush he will tuck it when needed. It at least forces the DEs to play with some contain responsibilities and now just pin their ears completely back

27 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Only thing I can think of having Haskins run is to put it in the heads of opposing defenses that if you get wreckless in your pass rush he will tuck it when needed. It at least forces the DEs to play with some contain responsibilities and now just pin their ears completely back

Which is fine, empower him to run if there is nothing there, the pocket is collapsing and he sees an opening, or better yet, run some bootlegs so that they are moving the pocket as he's not bad throwing on the run, but designed runs are just bad as that's not the type of player he is.