The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

The Urban era has come to an end. He has some faults, particularly being overly loyal to some deadweight assistants and players, but you can’t take his successes for granted. He’s a program builder. He took us from a 6-6 transition year under Fickell to an undefeated season the following year, with a locker room of guys that knew they couldn’t play a bowl game. Two years later we win a National Title. Nine losses in seven years and 7-0 vs. the rival. Here’s hoping they pick up somewhere close to where Urban left off and keep the talent coming in. 

• Like 1

I don't get why people are surprised.  As soon as we paid Day 7 figures when he wasn't even a coordinator, that told me he was going to be our next HC.  They did NOT want to lose him.  He's got the football mind and the energy for sure.  The only real unknown is how he'll manage his coaches and the big egos that come with running a program like Ohio State.  To my knowledge, we haven't heard anything to suggest that he can't manage people, or has had friction with other coaches at OSU.

Edited by THE DUKE

20 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I don't get why people are surprised.  As soon as we paid Day 7 figures when he wasn't even a coordinator, that told me he was going to be our next HC.  They did NOT want to lose him.  He's got the football mind and the energy for sure.  The only real unknown is how he'll manage his coaches and the big egos that come with running a program like Ohio State.  To my knowledge, we haven't heard anything to suggest that he can't manage people, or has had friction with other coaches at OSU.

Probably. I’ve heard he was up for head coaching jobs this year. 

Hopefully this is the start of a new era. I just wanted Campbell really bad for this team. Or the Browns. 

• Like 1

One thing for sure is Thank You Urban Meyer! Undefeated against scUM. 

Secondly, head coach for THE Ohio State University is one of the top coaching spots in all of football. If at the end of the day Coach Day is the guy we want then he will be available. 

I like how he is:

1 - Familiar with Meyer's system. There  will not be an overhaul of the roster trying to switch schemes. No need to learn new formations and whatnot. 

2 - The players know him. Our upper classmen won't be looking to transfer. Our recruits should still want to sign with us. 

3 - The other coaches know him. Again continuity is a good thing when you have an established product.  

4 - He looked pretty good in the beginning of the year (4-0). We have already seen what he can do when he was the head coach. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

46 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

One thing for sure is Thank You Urban Meyer! Undefeated against scUM. 

Secondly, head coach for THE Ohio State University is one of the top coaching spots in all of football. If at the end of the day Coach Day is the guy we want then he will be available. 

I like how he is:

1 - Familiar with Meyer's system. There  will not be an overhaul of the roster trying to switch schemes. No need to learn new formations and whatnot. 

2 - The players know him. Our upper classmen won't be looking to transfer. Our recruits should still want to sign with us. 

3 - The other coaches know him. Again continuity is a good thing when you have an established product.  

4 - He looked pretty good in the beginning of the year (4-0). We have already seen what he can do when he was the head coach. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

To me being the HC for games is prolly the easiest part of the tOSU job. It’s everything else you have to be responsible for that is hard. That’s what makes me nervous about him. 

There will be little transition here. The players who are already there seem to love the guy and he was highly sought after. The one question I've always had was "will he be able to recruit like Urban or even 75% like him?" Urban's name was enough to get people to come here. Day's is not.... not yet, hopefully. I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple people decommit in the near future

Losing recruits is something that would happen no matter who the new coach was.  If we somehow convinced Bill Bellichek to quit the Patriots and coach for Ohio State, odds are there are still a recruit or two who decommits.  Hell, the last couple years with Urban we had decommits from guys who changed their mind or just loved the spotlight of the recruiting game.  It happens.  It's still Ohio State.  Odds are Day's first full recruiting class next year is probably a top 5 class.

11 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Losing recruits is something that would happen no matter who the new coach was.  If we somehow convinced Bill Bellichek to quit the Patriots and coach for Ohio State, odds are there are still a recruit or two who decommits.  Hell, the last couple years with Urban we had decommits from guys who changed their mind or just loved the spotlight of the recruiting game.  It happens.  It's still Ohio State.  Odds are Day's first full recruiting class next year is probably a top 5 class.

I think him choosing now to announce will look positively on him by recruits and parents as opposed to waiting til after signing day.

10 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I think him choosing now to announce will look positively on him by recruits and parents as opposed to waiting til after signing day.

No more uncertainty used by other schools in recruiting either.  He's gone, it's done with, Day is now the man and will be for the foreseeable future.  Doesn't hurt Day is considered one of the brighter young offensive minds in the game either.

5 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

No more uncertainty used by other schools in recruiting either.  He's gone, it's done with, Day is now the man and will be for the foreseeable future.  Doesn't hurt Day is considered one of the brighter young offensive minds in the game either.

They only question now is the type of QB we recruit moving forward. More Pro Style QBs it looks like